Job Title: Adjunct Faculty at the College of Nursing
Institution: The American University of Kurdistan
Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region, Iraq
Job Type: Part-Time
Posting Date: 21/02/2023
Closing Date: Open until filled
Salary: Competitive and Commensurate with experience
Founded in 2014 as a non-profit institution of higher learning by Masrour Barzani, the American University of Kurdistan is dedicated to preparing future generations of leaders through curricular and co-curricular excellence in an American-style education focusing on transformative knowledge, innovative research, ethical community service, respect for inclusion and diversity, global connectedness, and life-long learning, all aiming to ensure economic, environmental, social and political advancement- regionally, nationally and globally.
The American University of Kurdistan will be recognized as a premier institution in the Middle East and beyond by cultivating academic excellence, fostering creativity, and engaging in highest caliber of applied research.
About the College:
The College of Nursing is a newly established academic division at AUK. It offers a traditional four-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree program that prepares students as nurse generalists. The training of professional nurses at the AUK College of Nursing adopts the highest standards of interdisciplinary academic nursing requirements followed in higher education institutions in the United States. The college is committed to serving the community through improving economic achievement, advancing civic engagement, enhancing personal well-being, promoting critical thinking, and enriching aesthetic and cultural experiences.
The American University of Kurdistan (AUK) College of Nursing invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following position. The preferred starting date is August 01, 2023, or as negotiated.
- Employed on a semester-by-semester basis or academic year. [B]
- Appointments are renewable indefinitely.
- Teach no more than twelve (12) credit units per academic year.
- Part-Time visiting international faculty on short-term appointments are also welcome.
- Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned courses, using each course’s approved outline as a guide.
- Administer course curricula, teaching, and other instructional materials, lectures, labs, etc., as appropriate to the respective course assignment.
- Implement AUK provisions and regulations on Quality Assurance (QA) and Institutional Academic Effectiveness (IAE) for enhancing students’ learning outcomes.
- Schedule, supervise, debrief, and evaluate students in simulation-based learning, skills lab, clinical practicum, internships, field experiences, etc., as appropriate for the course/program.
- Be available to students via email, phone, or other virtual conference platforms as needed.
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and course portfolios by established deadlines.
- Meet all classes as scheduled.
- Help students achieve their educational and career goals through formal or informal coaching.
- Post and keep on-campus office hours to facilitate interaction with students, other faculty, staff, administrators, and the public.
- Attend local, regional, state, or national meetings where required or necessary on behalf of the program/college/university.
- Attend commencement, university ceremonies, institutional workshops/training, and departmental/college-wide meetings.
- Perform other academically related duties as assigned by the department chair/dean/provost.
- Engage in scholarly research or creative activity.
- Participate in the annual faculty evaluation process.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in nursing or health-related discipline.
- Current unencumbered nursing license/registration.
- Minimum three years of full-time professional nursing practice experience.
- Relevant teaching experience in a nursing education program.
- Experience in instructional skills lab and simulation.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English.
- Doctorate in nursing (PhD, DNP, DNS), or current enrollment in doctoral study.
- Clinical nursing experience and/or certification in one or more of the following areas: adult health/medical-surgical nursing, gerontological nursing, mental health/psychiatric nursing, obstetric/gynecological nursing, pediatric nursing, community health/public health nursing, and critical care nursing.
- Relevant teaching experience in undergraduate/graduate nursing programs.
- Knowledge and expertise with the policies and procedures of international accreditation organizations related to nursing.
It is the policy of the American University of Kurdistan to provide an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. The University promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace and makes recruiting decisions exclusively on the basis of qualifications, merit, and current work needs. This policy applies to all hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, remuneration, benefits, and training procedures within our Institution.
The search committee will immediately begin reviewing applications and continue until an appointment is made for interviews. Applications must be emailed to [email protected] with the position’s name in the “subject” field. To ensure full consideration, applications must include a letter of interest, analysis of qualifications, curriculum vitae that includes e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers. If you encounter any issues with the Application process, please email the previously listed email address.