With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Employee Contract Type:
International Assignment – Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Advocacy and Communications Coordinator (Local and International applicants are accepted)
Advocacy and Communications Coordinator position is to manage WV Iraq’s field communications and support its humanitarian/nexus advocacy efforts. The role provides strategic and technical support and resources to the World Vision Partnership to appropriately engage with its various public engagement audiences at national, regional and global levels in order to raise funds and the profile of WV Iraq.
This position effectively engages with the UN, international donors, partners, to assist WV in continuously leveraging its programming to achieve WV’s vision of every child living life in all its fullness.
This position is part of the Senior Management Team (SMT). It also assists the Response Director in overall strategic and external engagement leadership.
Strategy, Planning & Management
- Develop/Update Communications, Advocacy and External Engagement strategies considering the changing context (humanitarian-development-peacebuilding), WV’s global brand and campaign on ending violence against children, and the regional meta-narrative on fragility and children on the move.
- Develop an annual Advocacy, Communications and External Engagement plan in collaboration with the SLT/SMT and other key staff with a clear set of Advocacy and Communications deliverables and associated metrics based on the FO priorities.
- Collaborate with resource development teams to ensure integration of child protection and participation, research & evidence, and campaign objectives in program design and proposal development.
- Effectively manage and guide direct report(s), and ensure performance plan(s) and review(s) are done periodically.
Evidence based Advocacy
- Support the production of advocacy reports with particular emphasis on giving children a voice.
- Provide evidence, messaging and action items to external stakeholders on WV advocacy positioning and priorities for Iraq, namely child protection, violence against children, protection of civilians, fragility, and the humanitarian-development-peacebuilding nexus.
- Support teams in preparation of advocacy reports, position papers and concept papers on Child Wellbeing issues that can contribute to policy dialogue.
- Manage all response related advocacy reporting requirements at FO, RO and GC level.
- Lead Maturity Framework and Advocacy Success Matrix / Advocacy Strategic Measures (ASM) dialogue and provide quarterly updates for the Response Director.
- In collaboration with Communications Officer and key staff and partners, source content in the form of video, photos, stories related to children’s needs.
- Manage the production of multimedia resources, both through field level and partnership level support.
- Manage the production of written materials including stories and reports i.e. Annual Report.
- Ensure materials produced contribute to the positioning of WV Iraq and have meaningful child participation, wherever possible.
- Manage content systems such as Story Hub / Content Flow and Kissflow, etc.
Media & Social Media Engagement
- Develop media engagement strategy as part of an integrated communications plan.
- Establish internal connections with relevant Support Offices to promote international media engagement while adhering to the Global Media Protocols and guidelines.
- Co-ordinate visits by WV leaders and delegations, influencers and media including required approvals, scheduling, photo opportunities, media interviews, coordination with Support Office media teams, video production and messaging, etc.
- Ensure the delivery of social media content on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.
Representation, Coordination & Engagement
- Active collaboration across WV Iraq departments and Area offices to ensure effective and quality strategy and program implementation.
- Close collaboration with Regional and Partnership Communications and Advocacy counterparts to ensure WV Iraq is adequately aligned with partnership requirements.
- Engagement with SOs to facilitate communication and advocacy materials to help continue prepositioning WV Iraq with donors and other key external stakeholders.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships/partnerships with key UN, INGO and LNGO partners, donors, peer agencies, and other key stakeholders to scale advocacy and programs for children affected by the humanitarian crisis in Iraq.
- Map out and participate in advocacy working groups and coalitions and initiatives.
Perform other duties as required
- In collaboration with the Response Director and other SLT members, ensure that World Vision’s comms work is implemented at high quality level.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Line Manager
- Master’s degree in Humanitarian Aid, International Development, Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, Social Sciences or related field.
- Certification on Microsoft Office and other Communication software.
- 7+ years proven experience with International NGOs in emergency relief, transition and long term development programming especially in fragile and non-fragile contexts.
- Professional degree preferred on any international relations and Educations.
- Proven track record in a field related to humanitarian, development, advocacy and campaigns leadership, social work in LMIC and MIC.
- Experienced in external engagement/lobbying with high level stakeholders e.g. SRSG, RC/HC, Ministerial, Ambassadorial, UN- counterparts, institutional donors, local and national authorities, and other decision-makers relevant to the humanitarian industry.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and relational skills, especially in a cross-cultural environment, and ability to analyse and solve problems, persuade, network and negotiate.
- Proven track record of leading multi-cultural teams in complex, culturally and politically-sensitive contexts.
- Understanding of humanitarian relief, recovery and development work i.e. triple nexus in fragile contexts.
- Excellent networking, relationship building and people management skills.
- Excellent spokesperson skills.
- Solid research, reporting, policy analysis and writing skills and Computer literacy.
- Strong journalistic skills, ability to facilitate the collection of photo, video, story and social media resources.
- Ability to work in difficult, insecure and stressful conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, manage to plan and meet deadlines.
- Prior experience with World Vision is a distinct advantage.
- Arabic/Kurdish is preferred
- English written and spoken fluency required Arabic and/or Kurdish preferred.
Travel and/or Work Environment Requirement:
30 % travel required within the country and international travel if needed.
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local and International Applicants (IA’s) Accepted