The purpose of the officer position is to undertake day to day activities of the “Activating Markets and Agricultural Livelihoods (AMAL) project related to agriculture production (crops and livestock) crop production, processing and marketing” in Anbar governorate.
- Provide crop and livestock extension services to targeted small holder producers in production technologies, collection and harvest, products handling, packing, processing and access to market through linkages to the value chains using market intelligence.
- Take the lead on planning agricultural extension services targeting small holder farmers within key agri-food (crop and livestock) value chains and local partners including extension services ecosystem.
- Participate in the selection process of agriculture inputs beneficiaries including active involvement in the applications’ evaluation committees and conducting the assessment field visits of possible beneficiaries.
- Take a lead in the establishment and running of farmer field schools (both crops and livestock) in coordination with relevant stakeholders to ensure sustainability of the approaches.
- Facilitate the establishment and strengthening of small scale on-farm processing, establishment and strengthening of short value chains and promoting innovative market linkages for agricultural products between producer groups and market actors.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with targeted communities, including local leaders, Project committees and business dealers ensuring that they are informed and participate in project activities through implementation of NRC Community Engagement Approach.
- Conduct market assessments and mapping to understand how local agriculture markets works and are linked to enable appropriate programming. Engage agricultural inputs and output market players to understand how they operate and involve them for the AMAL project.
- Plan and conduct agriculture inputs (both in-kind and cash-based) distributions as per the agreed SOP and guidelines.
- Conduct regular project monitoring and updating the Project Coordinator with the progress of project activities in the field.
- Ensure protection mainstreaming in implementation of AMAL project activities.
- Work closely with veterinary department and extension workers to provide the most proper extension services to the livestock and crop beneficiaries.
- Any other task relevant to the position and the work scope.
Generic professional competencies:
- 2-3 years’ experience of working in livelihood Projects in a humanitarian/recovery context preferably related to agriculture.
- A degree in agronomy, crop science, animal production, agricultural science, agricultural systems and management, veterinary science, agribusiness or other related fields.
- Proven work experience will be considered as a substitute for formal education.
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Demonstrated results in implementing and tracking field-based activities.
- Experience conducting project inceptions with communities.
- Experience conducting beneficiary identification, verification and registration.
- Experience supporting referrals and/or identifying service providers.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Overall good knowledge of geography, local population and local language in the areas of operational interests.
- Previous experience working in cash and Livelihood Programme at a non-governmental organization (NGO).
- Ability to show leadership in a multi-cultural team.
- Fluency in Arabic both spoken and writing.
- Fluency in English is an advantage.
- Competencies in all computer related tasks including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Good understanding of community participation, and very good ability to communicate with beneficiaries.
- Ability to manage high/low workload depending on emergencies.
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision in a challenging environment.
Contract Duration: 6 Months
Duty Station: Anbar – Ana – Iraq
Health Insurance is provided
Salary: G5/S1, According to NRC’s Iraq salary scale and terms and conditions.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
NRC is an equal opportunity employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality, and physical ability.
For more information please read the Job Description