TEAM: Global Programme, Iraq
LOCATION: Mosul / Anbar
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed Term, 1 year
GRADE: C 1
JOB FAMILY: Programme Technical
SALARY: As per Oxfam Scale
HOURS: 40 hours per week
TEAM PURPOSE: To effectively lead, manage and drive the Oxfam in Iraq working with other stakeholders across Oxfam
To represent, manage and ensure the effective implementation of Oxfam Iraq country programme in her/his specific area of operations. S/he ensures that programmes are delivered on time, to budget and to the sector and Oxfam standards, in addition that policies are implemented, and strategies are adjusted according to the local context, key standards of reporting, programme quality and accountability are met, and that there is adequate integration of various sectors (Gender Justice, Economic Justice, Climate Justice, Innovation and Protection) and that programmes are well coordinated with all external stakeholders.
The post holder is responsible for ensuring the timely delivery of an integrated Oxfam response in line with donor contracts, adhering to the overall Iraq Response and technical sub-strategies
The Area Manager is a member of the Iraq-country programme coordination structure expected to be committed to Oxfam’s vision and values and lead with integrity always. S/he represents Oxfam at senior levels with local authorities, the UN, donors, local partners, and other external stakeholders in her/his area of operations.
S/he will be based in Mosul with travels within the region. S/he will be closely working with partners, the programme technical teams at the field office and the Programme Management Unit.
POST HOLDER REPORTS TO
JOBS REPORTING TO THIS POST
Team in the specific response locations, including program, support and security functions
As per the secured area portfolio
· Assume overall management of all Oxfam programmes in Northeast region and deliver on Oxfam’s charter for change commitments and internal LHL strategy with regards to partnerships
· Ensure that key Oxfam policies are implemented, and strategies are adjusted according to the local context.
· facilitate the work of country level technical coordinators to ensure standards of reporting, programme quality and accountability are met
· Coordinate across the teams to ensure proper support to the partners is given in line with Oxfam’s approach to partnering
· Ensure the implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems within the area programme and field teams.
· Lead/support on proposal development/design in coordination with Deputy Country Director – Programme, Thematic Leads, Business Development Manager and Deputy Country Director – Support or Business Development Manager.
· Ensure timely and regular budget monitoring and management of the programme, including supporting the development of quality reporting against objectives and budgets through setting up of robust management arrangements.
· Lead or participate in assessments of emergency situations within focal area, reporting back with clear recommendations, an analysis of needs and gaps and strategy, proposals, and budgets for Oxfam’s response.
· Oversee the preparation of high quality and timely reports on programme activities for internal and external use, including institutional donor reports. Ensuring quality and timely narrative and financial reporting to Oxfam and donors.
· Lead on safe programming (do no harm) risk mitigation within their area of operation, utilizing Oxfam global level Safe Programming approach and tools
· Manage the duty managers in each location, and travel regularly between all project sites to ensure joined up approach and manage risks
· Ensure mitigation of fraud and corruption and safeguarding risks through comprehensive risk management plans
· In collaboration with the Country Director, with support from the security officers, is responsible for security and safety of all Oxfam staff, assets, and premises in his/her specific geographical location
· In collaboration with security focal point, s/he ensures that the security plans and protocols are up- to-date, and that everyone knows and understands their content
Staff & Team management
· In line with Oxfam performance management procedures, line manage technical team leaders and heads of support teams in the specific location; ensuring that overall performance management is in place and used effectively
· Ensure that recruitment and management of field staff is in accordance with Oxfam procedure and policies, including performance management, appropriate induction, and opportunities and training for capacity development.
· Ensure the programme design integrates capacity building of staff and local partners, and that realistic hand-over arrangements are planned for early on.
Humanitarian Strategy and Planning
· Operationalise the overall Iraq Response in her/his specific location with relevant government departments, local and international partners.
· Work closely with local partner organisations and other key actors on contingency planning and preparedness
· Lead on area level strategy development, implementation, monitoring and reviews where relevant and under the overall leadership of the Country Director.
Supporting Programme Quality and Implementation
· Proactively raise programmatic issues for direct programme action and advocacy, supporting
Oxfam’s response on wider policy and practice change.
· Proactively ensure that gender equity, quality and accountability issues are taken into account in
all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
· Pro-actively engage technical leads to oversee technical aspects of programming at field level, to ensure Oxfam deliver work to the highest standard
· Promote Oxfam’s Community Engagement approach and facilitate trainings on this
· Promote and understand Oxfam’s partnership principles and ensure that clear MOU’s, strategic and operational plans are in place for partner organisations and implemented.
Advocating and communicating on Oxfam’s work
· Represent and develop good relationships with authorities and other agencies, be proactive in ensuring that Oxfam develops and maintains a positive profile.
· Ensure that Oxfam’s Programme is coordinated with those of other organisations and with the
· Keep informed of relevant programme issues and contribute to wider programme learning.
· Advocate on key issues at provincial level and feed into external advocacy initiatives at national, regional and global level as required.
· Work closely with the Policy, Advocacy and Communications Manager (PAC) to operationalise the PAC Strategy at provincial level and suggest and develop focus areas for advocacy work.
· Keep informed of relevant programme issues and initiate and contribute to wider programme learning – also by initiating and facilitating programme learning events and evaluations.
· Reporting internally on key advocacy issues that support programming.
· Represent Oxfam internally to country staff, modelling core competencies and behaviors of Oxfam humanitarian staff (“leading by example”), inspiring managers to help staff grow into Oxfam’s organizational culture. Post holder is also expected to promote this behavior within the teams s/he supervises or oversees.
· Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
Undertake any reasonable duty and tasks that may arise from time to time.
- Experience of working collaboratively with a wide variety of organizations in different geographic areas including government agencies, CSOs, NGOs, and private sector
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills and a highly developed ability to work in multicultural settings and with community groups of varying backgrounds (Moro, IPs, migrants); developed capacity for tact, diplomacy and negotiation
- An understanding of gender issues and experience in applying gender analysis in planning, monitoring, and evaluation with a commitment to mainstreaming gender and diversity equity issues as well as a commitment to neutrality & impartiality
- Good planning skills, with initiative, able to exercise sound judgment and can manage multiple tasks in an effective, pro-active and timely
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, creatively, innovatively and effectively within teams (sometimes multi-cultural) and agreed framework, as an individual that requires less to no
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of
gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with
Oxfam are as safe as possible.
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values (https://www.oxfam.org/en/explore/how- oxfam-fights-poverty) as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights.
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing
- Working knowledge of Iraq is an advantage
- Previous security management and/or experience in volatile contexts
- Salary Offer As per Oxfam Salary Scale USD As per Oxfam Salary Scale Month
- How to apply As part of your online application, please upload your up-to-date CV and Cover Letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile. Deadline: 08 th August 2023. Kindly note that the selection process will be on a rolling basis. Oxfam reserves the right to recruit a suitable candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Job Reference Area Manager – Northwest Iraq (INT9779)