Job Title: Assistant/Associate/Full Professor of Computer Science and IT
College: College of Arts and Sciences
Institution: The American University of Kurdistan
Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region, Iraq
Job Type: Full-Time
Posting Date: 21/02/2023
Closing Date: Open until filled
Salary: Competitive and Commensurate with experience
Founded in 2014 as a non-profit institution of higher learning by Masrour Barzani, the American University of Kurdistan is dedicated to preparing future generations of leaders through curricular and co-curricular excellence in an American-style education focusing on transformative knowledge, innovative research, ethical community service, respect for inclusion and diversity, global connectedness, and life-long learning, all aiming to ensure economic, environmental, social and political advancement- regionally, nationally and globally.
The American University of Kurdistan will be recognized as a premier institution in the Middle East and beyond by cultivating academic excellence, fostering creativity, and engaging in highest caliber of applied research.
AUK invites applicants for a full time faculty position at the Department of Computer Science & Information Technology of the College of Arts & Science. AUK is a not-for-profit special status institution committed to advancing academic excellence, expanding liberal arts, professional, and scientific knowledge and preparing the next generation of leaders for the community. AUK envisions becoming the leading academic institution in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq and beyond through implementing pedagogical approaches that impact critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork and the lifelong learning skills required for success in contemporary society and workplaces.
This position reports directly to the Chair of the Department of Computer Science & Information Technology.
- Lecture undergraduate courses.
- Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course’s standard course outline as a guide.
- Create, post, and articulate course syllabus, course learning outcomes or objectives in order to ensure student understanding of course learning objectives and expectations.
- Create course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, workshops, presentations, and other course materials required to deliver course content in an understandable and interesting manner to ensure students are engaged with the course material in order to achieve the course learning outcomes.
- Participate in program level learning assessment. Participation includes helping articulate learning outcomes, choosing and administering measures, evaluating student performance, and suggesting changes to improve student learning.
- Schedule, supervise, debrief, and evaluate students in internship, observation, field experience, and similar settings as appropriate for the course or program.
- Responsible for delivering in a student receptive manner the knowledge, skills, and experiences each student needs to successfully achieve course learning outcomes as outlined in the course syllabus.
- Create course rubrics in order to assess each student’s performance related to the course’s learning objective and to identify areas for student improvement.
- Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with educational rights and privacy requirements (FERPA regulations) and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
- Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, faculty senate, or as a student organization advisor.
- Take on caretaker administrative duties if required by the Provost and mentor and/or assist in orienting new faculty either formally or informally.
- Attend local, regional, state, or national meetings where required or necessary for the discipline as well as departmental, divisional, and college-wide meetings.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the community, professionals, foundations and companies that support institutional growth.
- Collaborate with the faculty on a number of interdisciplinary research projects, secure research funding and teach undergraduate (and later graduate) courses.
Perform other appropriate and reasonable required duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD Degree in Computer Science, Cyber Security or, a closely related field from a reputable university.
- Relevant experience in academic, practitioner and/or consultant duties.
- Demonstrate ability to teach relevant courses.
- Demonstrate record or potential for research and publication in scholarly journals within the discipline
- Strong communication skills required to transfer the knowledge to the student body.
It is the policy of the American University of Kurdistan to provide an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. The University promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace and makes recruiting decisions exclusively on the basis of qualifications, merit, and current work needs. This policy applies to all hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, remuneration, benefits, and training procedures within our Institution.
The search committee will immediately begin reviewing applications and continue until an appointment is made for interviews. Applications must be emailed to [email protected] with the position’s name in the “subject” field. To ensure full consideration, applications must include a letter of interest, analysis of qualifications, curriculum vitae that includes e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers. If you encounter any issues with the Application process, please email the previously listed email address.