Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
In 2017, UNESCO and the European Union signed the project “Access to inclusive quality primary and secondary education for IDPs, returnees, remainees and refugees in crisis-affected areas in Iraq”. The overall goal of the project is to provide 100,000 school age children with access to quality education and support 50% of beneficiaries in promotion to the next level of education in six governorates of Iraq.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Officer (based in Erbil), and the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO Office for Iraq (based in Baghdad), the incumbent will work as part of the Education in Emergencies team of the Office, headed by his/her supervisor. The SC holder will be based in Baghdad and will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of the project. S/he will also assist in the planning and implementation of other UNESCO education projects in Iraq, if necessary.
The incumbent will be responsible on the below:
1. Liaison with national and international stakeholders in the implementation of project activities in the targeted governorates (including but not limited to Anbar, Nineveh):
- Maintaining regular contact and facilitating communication, coordination and programme reviews with relevant ministries and governmental departments, other UN agencies, non-government organizations and other stakeholders;
- Liaising and coordinating with national and international stakeholders to obtain maximum benefit and efficient use of resources in the implementation of project activities and avoid duplication of efforts;
- Monitoring all access to education related initiatives in the targeted governorates and providing regular updates;
- Representing UNESCO in relevant meetings and coordination groups and facilitating communication by taking minutes, providing interpretation and translating relevant documents
2. Support to project activities’ planning, implementation, and administrative follow up:
- Contributing to development and effective execution of the Project’s work plan and log frame;
- Providing technical support and assistance to UNESCO, stakeholders and partners in the planning, management, and implementation of programme / projects activities;
- Supervising the organization of program events, such as workshops, training, missions, etc. including preparing agendas, documents and reach-out material, identifying venues and services, organizing travels of participants, ensuring interpretation and translation;
- Providing support in drafting the terms of reference, ensuring follow-up of the contracting and payments for consultants and institutions;
- Contributing to prepare budgets for activities and assisting in the monitoring of expenditures and in the preparation of budget revisions;
- Coordinating with the Finance and Administration Platform (FAP) on timely delivery of assistance activities, as well as requesting disbursement of funds;
- Drafting internal memos, official correspondence, press-notes, web site, and other outreach activities;
- Coordinating and reviewing translation with outsourced translators, and providing feedback for improvement;
- Receiving and screening all internal and external communications, and attaching necessary background information for review by supervisors;
- Maintaining the project/s records and reference files.
3. Support to project activities’ monitoring, evaluation and reporting:
- Conducting regular visits to project activities to monitor progress and evaluate results and impact;
- Providing technical support on monitoring project activities, as well as the development, implementation and progress tracking of the project action work plan;
- Providing appropriate administrative follow-up actions to ensure effective application of monitoring and reporting tools;
- Contributing to the periodic narrative and financial progress reports to donors on project implementation, including the development of monthly internal projects updates and reports, as well as periodic or ad-hoc analytical narrative reports;
- Contributing to the design, development and maintenance of databases and other information systems.
4. Performing any other duties as required by the office.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
1. Academic qualifications:
- University degree (equivalent to Bachelor) in Education, Civil Engineering, Business Administration, Management, or any other related field.
2. Years of relevant work experience
- Minimum four years of relevant experience that include but are not limited to:
- Emergency conditions, Education in emergencies and Education programming;
- Knowledge of UNESCO’s emergency education work (or other UN agencies);
- Major donor funded projects knowledge.
- Good knowledge of project planning and management tools;
- Good project financial management skills;
- Good IT skills;
- Strong facilitation skills and communication skills;
- Integrity and drive for results;
- Ability to adapt to dynamic environments and to work effectively in a multicultural/multinational environment;
- Good judgment and decision-making skills;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Ability to meet deadlines and punctual at work;
- Commitment to UN values of non-discrimination on the basis of race, gender, economic status, or religion.
4. Core competencies:
- Building partnership, Teamwork, Client orientation, Communication, Creativity and Innovation, Technological awareness, Result Based Management and Result Based Budgeting, Promoting Organizational change and Development.
5. Language requirement:
- Fluency in Arabic Language (Native);
- Excellent English in (oral, written, comprehension )
1. Academic qualifications:
- Advanced university degree (equivalent to Masters) in Education, Civil Engineering, Business administration, management, or any other related field.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
Rename the “BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS” title to “APPLICATION PROCESS”, and use additional sections if required to add other relevant information.
Otherwise you can delete this section.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.