Reuters is seeking a dynamic, hardworking and experienced journalist to run its Baghdad office and lead coverage of Iraq, one of the fastest-moving and most rewarding beats in the Middle East.
The role is an unaccompanied posting based in Baghdad and covers a demanding file across a broad range of topics, from oil and gas to politics and diplomacy, conflict to climate crisis.
Nearly 20 years after the U.S. invasion, Iraq has descended into a new round of violent unrest. Five years after the defeat of the Sunni extremist Islamic State, the new political crisis is driven by a power struggle among the Shi’ite Islamist leaders, clerics and militants who rule the country. Iraqis fear that the struggle between Shi’ite Muslim cleric Moqtada al-Sadr and a kaleidoscope of Shi’ite armed groups backed by Tehran will send their country once more down a path to civil war, or at best, a failing state.
Oil and gas are a key topic for Reuters clients and a big part of the Iraq file. Iraq’s clout within OPEC makes it a crucial source of energy at a time of soaring global demand. China and Russia are big players in the Iraqi oil sector as Western majors increasingly hesitate to invest.
The Bureau Chief also directs coverage of Iraqi Kurdistan, a political-energy story with its own dynamics and intricacies and where Turkey and Iran are locked in a proxy battle for influence. The struggle for control of Iraq’s oil wealth, especially between Baghdad and the self-governing Kurdistan Regional Government in the north, is an important story. The Bureau Chief reports to the Middle East Editor and liaises with leaders of other bureaus, editors in London and New York and visuals teams in the region.
As our Bureau Chief for Iraq, you will:
- Be a fluent writer, with insight into the country, sharp news judgment, reporting and editing skills
- Lead a team of reporters to produce quick, accurate and in-depth journalism on a fast-moving/competitive story
- Set the news agenda and lead the writing/reporting for exclusives, revelatory insights and special reports.
- Bring fresh ideas, energy, enthusiasm and resourcefulness
- Work to ensure an integrated text and visual bureau through strong cooperation to deliver a file that fully serves media clients.
- Build sources with leading political players, financial and energy contacts
- Connect the dots between politics, religion, economics and energy across the file
- Balance the needs of a diverse range of Reuters clients from energy/commodities to general news
- Mentor, develop and guide junior reporters on the interests of an international audience and the rigor required in reporting for Reuters
To be our Bureau Chief for Iraq, you will likely have:
- Experience in sensitive and/or hostile news environments
- Several years experience as a journalist and team leader who has managed diverse teams and worked across borders
- A track record as an all-rounder who can write excellent copy at speed, with attention to accuracy and balance
- Knowledge of and experience reporting on the Middle East are preferable.
- Strong Arabic is a distinct advantage
- A record of generating quick-turnaround, high-impact stories
- A talent for developing sources and a track record of breaking news that sets the agenda
- Experience working with visuals journalists, and at least basic knowledge of video/photography news skills
Please note, the deadline for applications is Friday 11th November 2022.
What’s in it For You?
At Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Global Career: As a global company, we can offer a truly international career and progression opportunities
- Learning & Development: On the job learning and coaching with an intensive training package. We also have a dedicated training team focused on the continuous development of our journalists
- Benefits: We offer competitive salary packages and market leading benefits including paid volunteering days and a wellbeing scheme including private healthcare
- Perks: Work alongside Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists and a team who provide unmatched, award-winning coverage of the world’s most important stories.
Reuters is the world’s largest multimedia news provider. Founded in 1851, it is committed to the Trust Principles of independence, integrity and freedom from bias. With unmatched coverage in over 16 languages, and reaching billions of people worldwide every day, Reuters provides trusted intelligence that powers humans and machines to make smart decisions. It supplies business, financial, national and international news and sports news to professionals via the world’s media organizations, desktop terminals, industry events and directly to consumers. Reuters: The Real World in Real Time
- Address Baghdad-Baghdad-IQ USD Month