|Position||Civil Engineer (consultant)|
|Reports to||Education Manager|
|Duty Station||Erbil, KRI|
All INTERSOS employees are expected to perform their roles and responsibilities according to the INTERSOS charter of values, code of ethics, PSEA and Child Protection policies. The job description is mandatory for all positions within INTERSOS and shall be signed by the employee within the first week of employment.
Purpose/objective of the position:
Under the supervision of INTERSOS Education Manager, the Civil Engineer is responsible for the implementation of infrastructure rehabilitation programs/interventions undertaken by INTERSOS in the framework of its education programme. The activities only include the rehabilitation of schools in camp and urban settings. The civil engineer is working with contractors, ensuring high-quality construction, as well as with consortium partners in a advisory role.
The position will be based in Erbil with possible travels to Sulaymaniyah for monitoring purposes.
The Civil Engineer will report to the Education Manager for implementation of the rehabilitation works included in education project activities (line manager) and all technical related matters.
- Provide technical inputs and guidance and ensure that technical quality and standards are considered during project implementation.
- Supervision on implementation of rehabilitation activities of selected schools’ assets.
- Prepare and conduct rehabilitation steps:
- Need assessment
- Select of area of intervention
- Market assessment
- Information sessions
- Registration process (form, training, registration)
- Data entry
- Documents (MOUs, BOQs, drawings)
- Work with the Education Officer and MoE Engineer to ensure proper documentation is provided and work is evidence base.
- Follow up timelines for rehabilitation, managing contractors and daily labourers to achieve timely and quality rehabilitations.
- Demonstrates proactivity, suggesting ways to better support and enhance specific rehabilitation activities.
- Monitor the quality of the work done by contractors and their adherence to INTERSOS internal policies.
- Conduct regular field visit and closely supervise contractors’ everyday work.
- Ensure timely completion of rehabilitation activities in line with proposal targets, budget and work-plan;
- Supervise consortium partner’s rehabilitation activities.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Assessment and analysis of target schools in need for rehabilitation.
- Preparation of detailed BoQs and drawings on works needed.
- Coordination with MoE Engineer to ensure compliance with governmental requirements.
- Coordination with INTERSOS Logistic department for selection of contractors to carry out rehabilitation works.
- Coordination with INTERSOS Logistic department for the procurement of materials / equipment / assets needed to carry out planned rehabilitation works.
- Supervision on a day-to-day basis of contractor’s work in the field.
- Quality control on contractor’s work in the field.
- Provision of corrective actions of contractor’s work in the field.
- Regularly update the work plan, inform line manager on constraints in project implementation and potential delays.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Prepare weekly and monthly progress reports and maintain the relevant project records.
- Collect, organize and share photos of program implementation; categorize before- and after-photos of rehabilitation works to support INTERSOS’s evidence base and measurement of impact.
- Support the Education Manager in ensuring the follow-up of the project indicators.
- Compiles any relevant paperwork (MOUs, BoQs, Completion documentation, before and after photos) and shares with Education Officer.
- Prepare and check the quality and accuracy of all documents submitted by the contractor (reports, analysis, forms etc.).
- Support the production of activity-specific reports on an ad hoc basis as requested by the Education Manager and Programme Manager.
- Perform monitoring visits of consortium partner’s rehabilitation activities as requested by Education Manager.
Coordination and representation:
- Act as a clear communication channel between INTERSOS programme and logistic team, contractors and beneficiaries.
- Conducting regular meetings with MoE Engineering department representatives and facilitate field visits as needed.
- Establishing and maintaining regular and collaborative relations with partners and donor.
- Facilitate donor’s visits at rehabilitation sites.
- BSc in Civil Engineering.
Competencies: (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Minimum 3 years of experience in project execution an international relief or development setting including team management.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the shelter and infrastructural rehabilitation programs, technical designs, BOQ development, construction, contractor management.
- Previous experience in the rehabilitation of building (schools) is preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel and kobo
- A high degree of flexibility and ability to work in insecure, stressful and hardship environments.
- High confidentiality, respect and non-discriminatory attitude.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in the office.
- Ability and willingness to travel across project areas at short notice and spend extended periods of time with communities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or Kurdish is essential.
- Address Erbil USD Month
- How to apply INTERSOS is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right for everyone to apply to its vacancies without any discrimination. For those interested and who meet the required criteria, please apply below. Kindly note that: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Your resume must be uploaded in PDF format. INTERSOS is reviewing applications on a rolling basis, and we reserve the right to close the vacancy before the mentioned closing date. The preference will be given to qualified candidates from the recruitment area