The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunities for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organizations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
Employment Category: Fixed Employment Contract
Reporting to: Team Leader – Support Service
Unit/department: Admin Department
Location: DRC Balad Area Office, Salahaldin, Iraq
Authorization level: N/A
The overall purpose of the role:
Taking care of DRC facilities/premises (Office and Guest House) for cleaning and maintenance to keep the building in a clean and orderly condition.
- Sweep the floors and stairs every morning (taking care not to damage electrical equipment on the floor such as UPS, electrical wire etc.).
- Wash the floors, stairs, and other areas of the premises.
- Clean the dust on the desks, walls, and cupboards every day (taking care not to damage office equipment on the dusted areas).
- Clean the GH and Office sinks, toilets, and washrooms once a day.
- Clear and dispose of the rubbish from the GH and Office at least once a day.
- Always keep the kitchen clean, Cups, dishes…etc. and including cleaning the inside of the fridge once per week.
- Wash the balconies and clean the windows once per week.
- Inform the line manager of any repairs or replacements required for maintenance equipment
- Inform the line manager about requesting new items/missing items in the offices and the guesthouses.
- Clean the guest house (vacuuming, washing floors, sweeping, clean kitchen, bathroom …etc.) as requested. Complete all cleaning according to the attached cleaning checklist.
- Inform the line manager of the monthly requirement of the cleaning and refreshment items to be purchased. (e.g. cleaning fluid, garbage bags, soap, toilet paper, tea, coffee, sugar etc.).
- Make tea or coffee for official meetings/occasions when expats request.
- Any other related duty assigned by the line manager.
Experience and technical competent:
Relevant experience in a similar position
Education: Read and Write Arabic.
Languages: Speaking and writing the Arabic language, having knowledge of understanding English is an advantage.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment
- Contract Length: 11 Months
- Salary Band: K.1
- Start Date: 15-October-2023
- Comprehensive health insurance for staff, spouses, and up to two children under 18.
- Personal Accident insurance coverage in the event of work-related accidents during working hours.
- Psychosocial support for staff and family members.
- Learning and development opportunities for professional growth.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the Apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 23-September-2023
Diversity & Inclusion: DRC Iraq is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment according to our Age, Gender, and Diversity approach (AGD). We aim to have a more diversified leadership structure creating opportunities for qualified women to take on managerial roles. We also continuously work to make our workplace more accessible for persons with specific needs. We offer benefits related to psychosocial support, health insurance, maternity and paternity leave, child sick leave, and lactation breaks. As part of our commitment to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion, we strongly encourage applications from female candidates, persons living with disabilities, as well as representatives of minorities.
Note: Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer and we consider all applicants regardless of race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or marital status. We have a strong ambition to further enhance the diversity of our workforce and our goal is to achieve 50% gender balance and at least 50% representation of national staff in management roles. We acknowledge the importance of fostering a diverse and inclusive team to successfully achieve our organizational goals and positively impact the communities we serve.