|Global, Fixed Term – 1 Year contract
|This role reports to:
|Project Manager, Anbar Climate Change Project
to this post:
|Climate Justice Lead
The Climate Change Officer will be working under the Economic Justice Portfolio of Oxfam in Iraq, and under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, GIZ Climate Change Adaptation Project. The Climate Change Officer will be directly responsible for implementing and coordinating initiatives related to climate change adaptation, mitigation, and state-citizen dialogue as set by the scope of the project. This position requires a good understanding of climate change issues, policy, and governance frameworks in Iraq, as well as the ability to implement solutions in the field, coordinating closely with project stakeholders in the governorate of Anbar.
Project Delivery and Coordination
Climate Change Research Management:
- Lead comprehensive research on climate change impacts.
- Oversee mapping and assessment of existing adaptation measures.
- Collaborate with technical experts and international partners.
- Develop and implement a research dissemination plan.
- Organize research launching events and engage stakeholders.
- Prepare research summaries and memos for policymakers.
Local Knowledge Documentation:
- Conduct focus group discussions to capture local knowledge.
- Utilize various mediums for documentation.
- Collaborate with the Berghof Foundation for effective qualitative exploration.
Conflict Sensitivity and Climate Change Research:
- Coordinate research on conflict sensitivity.
- Engage with local peace actors and contribute to the Conflict Early Warning System.
- Conduct a gender analysis in targeted districts across key sectors.
- Integrate gender perspectives into climate change adaptation plans.
- Support local government representatives in organizing dialogues.
- Facilitate discussions based on research findings.
Stakeholder Mapping and Needs Assessment:
- Conduct mapping and needs assessment of community committees and government actors.
- Identify key stakeholders for state-citizen dialogues.
Integrated Adaptation Planning:
- Collaborate with international experts to develop integrated climate action plans.
- Engage diverse stakeholders in planning, including technical working groups.
- Responsible for operationalization of project approach, methodologies, and tools to implement interventions under the scope of climate adaptation and state-citizen dialogue.
- Work closely with relevant government departments, in overall implementation of project activities. This will include regular meetings with line departments to agree on work plans, technical assessments, and establishing cooperation relations.
- In collaboration with the Project Manager, design, implement and report on annual, quarterly and monthly work plans to ensure smooth implementation and progress of project targets.
- Ensure a timely implementation of activities in line with standards of quality under approved budget allocation, program targets and geographic coverage.
- Regularly visiting project sites, meeting with project beneficiaries and stakeholders as required to develop a solid and updated understanding of the project context, trends, challenges, and opportunities so as to share with Project and Erbil team (in form of observation notes, meeting minutes, reports, etc.).
- Work closely with Gender, MEAL, PAC, and other thematic and support teams in Oxfam in reporting, documentation, and assessment of existing and planned interventions and to ensure coherence in implementation.
- Coordinate with project partners and stakeholders (district and governorate level public offices, community committees, universities, and others) to facilitate project implementation, create partnerships and ensure proper coordination and information sharing.
- Conduct outreach and participate in forums held by national, Programme and local government entities, NGOs, and other parties.
- Ensure consistent liaison and facilitation of external experts/consultants in conducting specialized technical assessments under the project.
- Contribute to Oxfam’s strategy and approach on climate change, economic justice, and governance by keeping abreast of latest knowledge, and lessons from outside.
- Maintain good working relationships with relevant government departments, private sector actors, and other key project stakeholders and ensure Oxfam interest is presented at all levels.
- Develop project progress reports in collaboration with project staff and technical Lead. Ensure narrative reporting meet Oxfam and donor’s requirements.
- Ensure that budgets are drawn up for all activities, and that activities costs are kept within budgets.
- Prepare monthly progress reports (internal) to update management on program progress achieved, program plans, changes in direction and challenges encountered.
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- A minimum Masters/postgraduate university degree or bachelor’s degree with 2 additional years of experience in climate, agriculture, water, energy or environmental science, social work, sustainable development, development studies or related field.
- Knowledge of the issues, challenges and opportunities around climate change adaptation and policy dialogue and citizen engagement for climate advocacy.
- 2-3 years of experience in project management and budget control, including experience working with implementing partners in the field of climate change and sustainable development.
- Capacity to combine field and office work.
- Experience in working with Civil Society and Climate change organizations.
- Experience in protection and Advocacy related projects.
- Strong ability to be flexible and adaptable in times of unexpected challenges and provide creative solutions, whilst maintaining the ethos and objectives of the work at all times.
- Proficiency in English and Arabic language (written and spoken) is required.
Research and Analysis:
- Strong research management skills.
- Analytical ability for climate change impacts.
- Effective communication for research dissemination.
- Stakeholder engagement and dialogue facilitation.
- Documentation of local knowledge and practices.
- Proficiency in qualitative exploration and data documentation.
- Expertise in conflict sensitivity research.
- Integration of conflict-sensitive approaches into projects.
- Skills in conducting gender analysis.
- Gender mainstreaming in adaptation planning.
- Experience in building the capacity of the team internally and of external stakeholders.
- Experience in working and jointly implementing projects involving local authorities and/or organizations as implementing partners.
- Diplomacy, tact, and negotiation skills.
- Good interpersonal, influencing and communication skills.
- Proven team leadership and ability to work independently as required.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action.
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
- Salary Offer As per Oxfam Salary Scale USD As per Oxfam Salary Scale Month
- How to apply As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and Cover Letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
- Job Reference Climate Change Officer (INT10165)