Location: Based in Erbil, Iraq with business travel on a need basis (within Iraq and Jordan, Amman)
Reporting Manager: Project Manager, Iraq
Start date: 1 Jan 2023, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Duration: Up to 50 days
Type: Part time over a year
MAGENTA is a leading Social and Behavioural Change (SBC) Research and Communications agency that specializes in understanding human decision-making processes in order to design communications solutions for positive change in fragile and development settings. We implement programmes across the Middle East, Africa and Asia, using the latest in behavioural science principles and a rigorous approach to research, strategy, campaign design and implementation.
Our client base includes UN agencies, INGOs, governments and the private sector. We aim to amplify the voices of local actors while bringing international expertise and methodological rigour. To do so, we partner with civil society, creative agencies, media and academics to design innovative, relevant and impactful solutions to some of the most challenging problems of our time. We always go the extra mile to ensure we can create positive impact for some of the most underserved populations in the world.
MAGENTA’s Middle East team is currently implementing a USG funded project that seeks to address the root causes of Technology-Facilitated Gender Based Violence (TFGBV) in Erbil, Iraq. TFGBV reduces women and girl’s ability to actively participate and contribute to public life online and offline. Supported by audience insights and research, this project will (1) capacity build Iraqi Youth with the knowledge and skills to protect themselves and take actions as bystanders and (2) will conduct a multimedia campaign on TV, radio and digital channels that seeks to transform existing harmful social norms around TFGBV.
The Copy Writer will be responsible for providing local expertise and contextual understanding when drafting engaging copy for social media content, TV and radio scripts, and other written outputs and will contribute to the creative design process for all creative concepts and outputs.
We are looking for exceptional individuals, driven by a keen desire to deliver social impact and who thrive in fast-paced environment. In return, we offer a strong mentoring and exceptional growth possibilities within an expanding team.
The Copy Writer will work closely with the MAGENTA team, including the Creative Strategist and creative agency, to draft engaging culturally relevant copy on TV, Radio and social media on TFGBV and related issues of the protection of women and girls, women’s empowerment and rights. Typical tasks include:
- Work with MAGENTA team and creative agencies, to contribute to the design, branding, content strategy and overall look and feel of the multimedia campaign ensuring that the campaign is culturally relevant.
- Work with MAGENTA team and creative agencies to develop content briefs that are aligned to the content strategy.
- Collaborating effectively with MAGENTA and creative teams to create concepts, ensure briefs are accurate, before producing engaging copy.
- Work with MAGENTA team to research and provide engaging written copy for the multimedia campaign in alignment with the content strategy.
- Write TV, radio, social media and animation scripts, in-line with content briefs, working together with creative teams.
- Ensuring consistency with all communications
- Have, or develop, context specific subject matter expertise on TFGBV, GBV and protection issues, so that copy is well informed and culturally relevant.
- Ensure that all copy follows the “do no harm” principle and follows best ethical practice for content.
- Work collaboratively with MAGENTA and creative agency to ensure that written copy is translated into compelling copy, video, radio and other content.
- Conduct interviews and fact-finding missions with youth groups, other target beneficiaries, involved in the programme to generate knowledge and ideas for engaging copy.
Requirements & Competencies
- Relevant undergraduate degree; Masters preferred. 3 year’s practical experience copy writing will be accepted instead of a Masters.
- 4-8 years professional experience.
- Excellent English and Kurdish written skills. Arabic writing skills a plus.
- At least 4 years of experience copy writing
- Experience copy writing in international development or marketing with a communications/campaign function.
- Prior experience, or willingness to become a subject matter expert, on TFGBV, GBV and protection issues in an Iraqi context.
- A demonstrated passion for writing and telling compelling stories.
- Previous experience writing scripts for TV, radio or social media content.
- Excellent cultural awareness, including an understanding of what content is popular amongst young Iraqis and of the cultural sensitivities.
- Experience as an online or offline social activist (desirable).
- Ability to submit at least 3 examples of written work that has been posted, published, or broadcast on social media, radio or TV.
- Good knowledge of social media influencers in Erbil (desirable).
- Ability to work effectively, respectfully and successfully with governments, clients, partners and other stakeholders in complex settings.
- Experience working in Iraq and preferably Erbil.
- Excellent written and spoken English, Arabic and Kurdish.
- Technological and software fluency, include Office 365, HootSuite/Sprout Social or similar software. Fluency in Adobe photoshop and video editing software a plus.
- A critical thinker, with a keen desire to learn and consume new information;
- Robust logic chain analytics and strong general analytical skills;
- Excellent communicator able to manage conflicts and develop constructive solutions;
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities;
- Demonstrated desire for excellence and an ability to inspire others to attain professional excellence;
- Willingness to live, work and travel in developing/post-crisis settings;
- Good sense of humour, personable and demonstrated ability to build networks;
- Entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to get hands dirty;
MAGENTA is committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
- How to apply Apply before 20 Dec 2022. Applicants should submit a two-page CV, a letter of motivation, at least 3 examples of written work (can be posts/articles/content/reports) and daily rate here. The letter of motivation should describe why the applicant wants to join the MAGENTA team, with a specific example of how their experience and skills can enhance MAGENTA’s work.