General Purpose of the Position
The Country Monitoring & Evaluation Officer is a key member of the JRS Iraq team, responsible for ensuring the quality and impact of JRS projects in Iraq through effective monitoring, evaluation, learning, and accountability systems. The main objectives of this position are to lead and ensure the effective implementation and oversight of the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) system, contributing to strategic decision-making, program improvement, and actively engaging with project teams. This role will involve developing M&E tools, conducting regular field visits, and enhancing program effectiveness to uphold transparency through accountability systems.
The Country M&E Officer reports to the Country Director and under the guidance of the Regional MEAL Officer and working closely with Country Information Management Officer, Assistant Country Director, Country Programmes and Grants Officer, Project Directors with directly supervising the field M&E Assistant.
Main Responsibilities of the Position
A) Implementation and Supervision of M&E Activities
- Prepare M&E Plans for ongoing and new projects in collaboration with the Regional MEAL Officer and project teams.
- Monitor project implementation and adherence to processes and procedures.
- Develop M&E tools and procedures for quality tracking of project output and outcomes.
- Conduct regular surveys to understand the humanitarian context evolution and vulnerability of affected populations.
- Support the implementation of accountability systems, including a complaints mechanism.
- Conduct monthly project visits, encouraging learning from best practices, lessons learned, and beneficiary feedback.
- Leading the coordination and management of external evaluations and/or assessments conducted through Third Party Monitoring (TPM).
- Develop M&E training for staff.
B) Report Proposal Process
- Coordinate with Project Directors, Information Management Officer, and Country Programme Office for accurate and timely reporting.
- Contribute to the development and adaption of monthly, and quarterly reporting tools.
- Act as a focal point for quantitative donor reporting.
- Contribute to the project proposal writing process, especially regarding output and outcome indicators and monitoring plan.
C) Support Programming work of JRS at the Country Level
- Keep track of projects undertaken in the country.
- Coordinate with the Country Director and the Regional Programmes Officers to plan for JRS projects in Iraq, especially regarding needs assessments. Suggest new initiatives to the Country Director based on these assessments.
- Collaborate in programme/project proposals, aligned with JRS Standards; ensuring that relevant information from secondary data, assessments, monitoring, evaluations, and lessons learned are integrated in the proposals. Ensure that community inputs are considered in the project design process.
- Support Project Directors and the Regional Office in project writing according to JRS standards and guidelines.
- Ensure the accuracy of data in monthly, quarterly, six-month and annual reports received from the Projects for submission to the Country Director, with the support of the Regional Office.
- Contribute to the development of standard operating procedures (SOP)s with CO team.
- Share regular updates and findings of the M&E activities with JRS relevant staff.
D) Skill building for staff
- Train project staff and M&E Assistants in M&E and data collection techniques and methods.
- Conduct M&E orientation for new relevant staff.
E) Collaboration with Country / Regional Team
- Works closely with other staff in the Country Office to fulfil key functions and to ensure successful operations.
- Attends regular team meetings, planning meetings, and workshops as required.
- Maintains frequent contact with the Regional MEAL Officer for support and sharing of any updates.
Undertakes any other duties as assigned by the Country Director that are within the ambit of the position.
Qualification Skills and attributes
- At least 3 years of experience in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E), Project Management, or working in the humanitarian field.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, development studies, management, statistics, or a related field. A master’s degree is considered an advantage.
- Strong motivation to serve internally displaced persons and returnees according to the values and self-understanding of JRS.
- Know JRS code of conduct and put into practice
- Problem solver, autonomous and perseverant;
- Ability to interact and present confidently in multicultural environments;
- Proven experience in developing effective assessment and data collection tools, including questionnaires, and facilitating focus group discussions.
- Demonstrated experience and capacity in conducting field-level data collection, data entry, and thorough data analysis.
- Strong knowledge and skills in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis.
- Knowledge of project cycle management and proficiency in understanding and applying Sphere standards.
- Deep understanding of project details and donor requirements.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (especially, Excel, Word, SharePoint) required. MS Power BI, PowerPivot are preferred.
- Excellent English, with good command of spoken Arabic and Kurdish ( Kurmanji & Surani)
- Ability to write clear and well-argued reports.
- Critical thinking, solutions-oriented, strong analytical skills, and objective judgments.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good sense of teamwork.
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision, and to prioritise tasks;
- Demonstrate knowledge of Middle East conflicts and humanitarian context.
- Commitment to high level of confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Address Erbil Ankawa
- How to apply Applications are to be sent by email to [email protected], marked Country M&E Officer in the subject line. Both the CV and the cover letter should be in English and are to be sent as word or pdf attachments. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.