WaSH Delegate for Iraq
The Swedish Red Cross (SRC) strives to be the leading Swedish agency for disaster management – aiming to play an even more active role during disaster response. This includes increased field presence, enhanced involvement in response operations, quality assurance – where the integration of environmental considerations in humanitarian action has a special focus -, and thematic specialization in some specific fields.
To contribute to this objective, the SRC is now seeking a WaSH Delegate to support the WaSH initiatives in the context of SRC-Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS) partnership in Iraq. The successful candidate will work in the SRC Country Office in Iraq, under the SRC International Department. The delegate will report to the SRC Iraq-Country Representative; and work in close collaboration with the team and the Head of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Unit, as well as with SRC’ global thematic advisors.
The Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS) has a key role in the emergency/relief response to assist people affected by the humanitarian crisis in Iraq. In 2016-2017, the IRCS expanded its relief activities, and is scaling-up its community-based intervention. In this context, the Swedish Red Cross is committed to provide quality and relevant WaSH technical support – with a strong focus on environmentally sustainable solutions- to support advancing IRCS’s objectives in community-based programmes and integrated disaster risk reduction initiatives.
This position is responsible to ensure quality and timely thematic WaSH support to SRC and IRCS, with a strong focus in reducing community’s risks linked to environmental issues. The successful candidate will work closely with IRCS WaSH/Rehabilitation Department, established in 2016, and to date carrying-out a remarkable number of activities throughout the country, in collaboration with multiple partners.
The WaSH Delegate will maintain direct link with SRC’s MENA team and the International Department, ensuring continued information flow; and will access technical support from SRC’s thematic global advisors in WaSH, PGI, CEA, DM, Green Response, among others.
Duties and Responsibilities
The WaSH Delegate will be responsible for WaSH thematic support and project management elements ensuring result- and evidence – based approaches. Specific responsibilities include the integrated DRR-WASH initiative implemented by SRC, IRCS and French Red Cross in Iraq.
The responsibilities related to WaSH key elements include:
- WaSH projects’ cycle management (planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting, including budget management).
- Provide technical assistance in the following areas:
- Integration of environmental considerations in WaSH activities, building on learnings from global and regional experiences and best practices.
- Facilitate capacity strengthening activities of IRCS staff and volunteers in WaSH, with a special focus on environmental sustainability and community-based behavioural change communication.
- Facilitate and support mainstreaming CEA and gender/diversity applying relevant tools, standards and guidelines across IRCS’ WaSH activities.
- Conduct regular field visits to provide technical guidance and quality assurance of the projects’ implementation together with the IRCS’ staff and volunteers.
- Maintain regular, operational and technical coordination within the SRC, with the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement partners in Iraq and in the MENA region, as well as with the wider humanitarian community in Iraq as relevant;
- Support the development of funding proposals.
- Other tasks assigned by the Country Representative in accordance with the priorities of the SRC in MENA region and in Iraq.
- Relevant university degree, preferably within an engineering degree (focus on water, sanitation, environment science) and disaster management.
- A minimum of five years of field experience in humanitarian project management, preferably in an insecure and complex conflict setting.
- Experience and excellent knowledge in WASH programming, integration of environmental considerations and applying participatory approaches.
- Demonstrated professional credibility in the sector and experience working in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary and multi-lingual environment.
- Experience in designing and facilitating capacity building initiatives, including trainings and workshops.
- Capable to develop and encourage new and innovative community WaSH solutions
- Willingness to actively adhere and promote the Red Cross/Red Crescent Fundamental Principles, and commitment to assist vulnerable communities in humanitarian and development context.
- Proficient written and spoken English.
- Experience working with the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement
- Previous work experience in the Middle East and particularly in Iraq.
- Fluent working spoken and written Arabic.
Kindly apply with your CV and Cover letter via our webpage before 21 June 2020.
For more information about the position, please contact:
Siavash Golzadeh, International HR Advisor, Swedish Red Cross