Expertise France (EF) is a public agency created on 1st January 2015 and merging 6 French public agencies under the supervision of the French Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Economy and Finance with a strong inter-ministerial vocation. EF offers programme engineering and technical assistance by developing and implementing international cooperation actions worldwide. EF operates in various fields of development and institutional cooperation including safety and security reform, post-crisis/ stability, public health, human rights, strengthening of institutions and NGOs and governance. Carrying out large-scale, multi-stakeholder programmes, EF can ensure the cooperation between individuals, teams and institutions with very different statuses, cultures and specialties. Besides, EF has acquired a sound experience in administrative and financial management of large-scale international programmes. www.expertisefrance.fr
Following the territorial collapse of the Islamic State (IS) in north-eastern Syria, the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) took control of quarter of the Syrian territory. The significant support provided by the international coalition led to the military defeat of IS. However, in the absence of sufficient efforts and investment by the international community in rehabilitation and development within a comprehensive stabilization strategy for post-IS territories, escalation is likely to re-emerge.
In that context, and capitalizing on the achievements of programmes implemented by Expertise France in Syria since 2013, the Health Recovery in North-East Syria (HERNES) programme aims at improving access to health by supporting the recovery of medical services in areas recently liberated from Islamic State in the north east of Syria.
The project aims at:
- Rehabilitating and operating Primary Health Care Centres
- Opening and running a Mother and Child units with a focus on neo-natal care.
- Opening and running a dialysis unit
- Open and developing several medical training centres
Job Description / Assignment
Overall purpose of the role:
Working under the management of the Program Manager of Expertise France in Iraq, the Dialysis Expert will be in charge of evaluate the quality of the protocols (including needed equipment, HR, and medications among others) and monitoring tools already available with regards to International standards for Dialysis; identify the gaps in terms of protocols and monitoring tools; take initiatives to develop with the local partners the needed tools, when needed, adjust the protocols to be practical format for the partner’s medical team in the field; ensure the quality of the services implemented, and contribute to raising the medical capacity of the local partner.
3 phased-mission (phased unlocked following the validation deliverables)
Evaluate the quality of the Dialysis services:
- Desk review of the Dialysis situation in the NES
- Desk review of the locally common clinical protocols and guidelines on dialysis and its application by the implementing partner
- Review of the partner’s dialysis monitoring tools
- Confront those to international standards
Identify gaps and make feasible programmatic recommendations:
- Based on the international standards, report on gaps in terms of medical equipment, HR, list of medications, lab testing capabilities, etc… needed to align with those standards
- Based on the evaluation of the partner’s available resources, make feasible programmatic recommendations according to the Dialysis situation in the NES
Fill out the gaps
- Develop practical format for the medical team in the field for the protocols
- Develop missing tools
- Develop a capacity building plan for the partner regarding Dialysis.
Ongoing tasks throughout the mission
Follow up to ensure the quality of the services implemented
- Provide technical inputs on partners’ narrative report on Dialysis
- Provide technical inputs on the key indicators follow up report
- Provide alerts/recommendation for programmatic decisions
- Coordinate with specific working groups and technical counterparts with the NGO ecosystem in the NES and in Erbil.
- Provide technical inputs on the narrative report to the donors and to steering committees
- Phase 1 deliverables:
- Provide the project with the relevant International standards and Dialysis monitoring tools
- Situational analysis report on the status of the dialysis services in the NES and partner’s available resources and capacity
- Phase 2 deliverables:
- Report on the gaps including lists of medical equipment, HR, medications… needed based on the partners’ capacity and the situation in the NES with regards to Dialysis activities
- Report on concrete and feasible programmatic recommendations
- Phase 3 deliverables:
- Develop a customized dialysis toolkit for the project, including:
- A practical customized format of relevant clinical protocols
- Lists of essential medicines, consumables and equipment
- Monitoring tools to ensure quality of care
- Ongoing deliverable:
- Technical inputs on reports, alerts and recommendations
- Perform any other related duties upon instructions received from the Project Manager.
- Develop a customized dialysis toolkit for the project, including:
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
Medical doctor with broad knowledge and experience on the provision of Dialysis services (relevant academic qualifications minimum MD);
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in a similar position;
- Ability to design guidelines, and tools;
- Knowledge of the provision of dialysis services and understanding of the HRH capacity in the NES context is necessary;
- Excellent professional English is a requirement. Arabic will be a strong an asset.
- Proven experience within health or civil society support sectors
- Experience in humanitarian, stabilisation and/or post-crisis settings with NGOs, INGOs or development organisations
- Experience in remote management desirable;
- Good computer skills: MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Good communication, writing and reporting skills;
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented.
- Ability to work with diplomacy, tact and sensitivity and experience in working within different cultural contexts requiring cultural sensitivity;
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations and ability to work under pressure and in response to changing needs;
- Applications should be submitted in English, and should consist of a Cover Letter (explaining suitability for the position) and CV/Resume, where both should be in PDF format only.
- Expertise France reserves the right to close the announcement prior to the stated deadline as applications are screened on a rolling basis and only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications should be sent to [email protected] , using the following subject: Dialysis Expert – HERNES Project