Why the American University of Iraq – Baghdad?
Opening its doors on January of 2021, the new American University of Iraq – Baghdad (AUIB) began as a dream of influential individuals in Iraqi and United States business, industry, and government who want to see a world-class institution of higher learning established in the city, reminiscent of the days when Baghdad was an educational mecca and flourishing capital of the Muslim world. With an expansive library, palatial college buildings and student centres, state-of-the-art classrooms, laboratories, and athletic facilities, AUIB is a beautiful campus attracting students, faculty, and staff from throughout the world. We invite you to join us in this exciting new venture.
We invite applications and nominations for a position of:
Director of Protocol and Special Events
This position will report directly to the President.
- Directs and supervises the preparation of strategic plans in relation to protocol and logistics for all official visits and events hosted by the University
- Creates event and visitor experiences that raise campus visibility and secure financial support for the University
- Serves a critical function as the campus coordinator who consults with senior campus leaders to identify, plan, and encourage staff to participate in campus-wide events
- Gains consensus and maintains timetables of program and event milestones and projects
- Tracks an annual events budget and ensures adherence to University funding policies, and oversees the overall implementation of complex and detailed program plans
- Holds events staff responsible for strict adherence to pre-approved events budgets and ensures the Business Operations Manager completes timely reconciliation of event expenditures and prompt payment of expenditures by and to internal and external partners
- Serves as a talent manager for staffing, including volunteers, both within Protocol andSpecial Events and the campus community in order to assemble the complement of staff and volunteers vital to the success of major projects
- Has full responsibility and accountability for high-profile events that provide important forums for interactions with community leaders, elected officials, volunteer organizers, and business leaders
- Serves as the campus resource on developing and maintaining campus protocols including social and event etiquette for all aspects of events. This function is part of the overall Marketing and Communications and Public Affairs outreach efforts in developing and maintaining institutional reputational image and a spirit of goodwill that fosters the best possible institutional image internally and externally
- Develops a strategic annual events budget to ensure complex and detailed budgets are preapproved for major events, including vendor negotiations and contracts, purchasing, equipment projections and proper method of payment of all invoices
- Supervises budgetary planning for each event, ensuring compliance with AUIB purchasing and financial policies. Primary responsibilities are to ensure that all activities, from major campus-wide signature events to President-hosted activities, stay within budget and ensure compliance with funding rules. Operates in the complex and sophisticated area of entertainment that is considered exception to policy and must give critical oversight to these expenses
- Integrates the broader strategic objectives of the University and manages timeframes, logistical, budgetary, and resource requirements of the specific objectives for the official visit or event
- Provides authoritative and comprehensive advice in relation to the planning, organization, and execution of official visits and events
- Acts as resident expert for the University on the requirements, standards, traditions, and expectations in relation to protocol and associated diplomatic conventions. Ensures that these are understood, incorporated, and reflected in official visits and events hosted by the University
- Manages visits and events budgets with internal clients and partners. This responsibility includes co-ordinating the budget planning processes, estimating resource requirements and advising on visit/event resource requirements
- Conducts, in collaboration with other partners when relevant, post event evaluations and prepares reports of official visits and events to draw lessons and to identify practices that can be applied to the planning and conduct of future visits and events
- Develops and refines best practices to enhance and improve planning and management of future official visits and events
- Represents the University in inter-agency planning for visits and events
- Assigns projects to the logistics and protocol coordinators while establishing goals, priorities, timelines, production standards, and performance expectations. Reviews and adjusts plans and workloads as required. Reviews team and individual performance and prepares performance assessments
- Approves or recommends professional training and development. Initiates staffing and classification actions. Coaches, guides, and mentors staff on an ongoing basis
- Directs and oversees the development of information technology and information management tools and resources required for the successful preparation and delivery of visits and events
- Oversees events as they occur in a real-time, often in a 24/7 environment where there is little margin for error. Must resolve urgent, confidential, and sensitive issues as they arise and manages multiple and changing priorities and demands from clients, stakeholders, and representatives of official visitors. Intervenes and takes immediate action to ensure that the dignity and integrity of the occasion is preserved and institutional reputation is upheld.
- Contributes as a member of the University’s managemet team to the overall financial and human resource management of the Univeristy and ensures that operational requirements are met
Applications should include a cover letter addressing the requirements of the position, a curriculum vitae, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Confidential review of materials and screening of candidates will begin immediately.
Please send your application with supporting documents to the email address: