The American University of Kurdistan (AUK) invites applications for the position of Director of Student Affairs from persons who will provide distinguished leadership and management. The University is a private, not-for-profit institution committed to advancing academic excellence, expanding liberal, professional and scientific knowledge, creating a diverse and inclusive community, and preparing leaders dedicated to ethical conduct and compassionate service.
AUK envisions becoming the leading institution in the autonomous Kurdistan Region of Iraq and beyond through implementing pedagogical approaches that impact critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork and the lifelong learning skills required for success in contemporary society and workplaces.
This position reports directly to the President of the University. The Director will foster an inclusive, student-centered campus culture that values community, civility, mutual respect, and collective engagement. S/he will work collaboratively with the students, staff, faculty, and other divisions of the institution to achieve AUK’s goals for academic achievement, student engagement and the first-year experience. S/he will oversee Student Activities (including student government, student clubs, leadership, and major campus events including orientation and parents’ programs).
The Director of Student Affairs is responsible for providing leadership in maximizing the academic success of students through taking strategic initiatives, training programs, career services, developing extra-curricular activities, increasing visibility and student awareness, and collaborating with faculty and staff.
- Work with the Director of Admissions % Registration and other key areas at AUK on retention initiatives and various programs aimed at maximizing the academic success of students (e.g. identify and develop new initiatives for student orientation, first-year student programs, probation workshops, campus engagement and culture-building).
- Increase visibility and student awareness of all available resources, helping students to take a proactive responsibility for their own educational objectives.
- Ensure that all extra-curricular programs and events meet high standards of excellence and quality regarding enhancing culture, civic engagement, and recreation.
- Recruit, train and develop Student Affairs staff, ensuring high levels of operational efficiency, effectiveness and accountability.
- Manage residence life programming.
- Work with the Director of Advancement to develop, implement, and coordinate various programs and events that include alumni, parents, and students.
- Develop and implement objectives for the unit as defined by the institutional strategic plan.
- Develop and manage the budget for the unit and partner with the President on long-range resource planning, ensuring strategic, cost-effective, and results-driven use of resources.
- Promote and enforce the Student Code of Conduct and Code of Ethics.
- Develop and implement assessment mechanisms.
- Perform other duties, responsibilities, or special projects as assigned by the President.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s Degree, preferably in an education-related field.
- Previous and/or current professional experience in higher education (3 years minimum preferred).
- A working knowledge of student life or other comparable experience in an educational environment (international preferred).
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of professional codes of ethics and best practices for Student Affairs professionals.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of access, inclusion and diversity in education.
- Experience in budget creation and management.
- Excellent English interpersonal, public speaking and writing skills.
- Proven organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Experience in managing programs in residence life.
- Proficiency in assessment processes.
- Proficiency in Kurdish and Arabic.
The search committee will begin a review of applications immediately and continue work until an appointment is made. To assure full consideration, applications should be received by HR and include a letter of interest, analysis of qualifications, curriculum vitae and three professional references with e-mail addresses and telephone numbers. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. Applications and nominations should be sent electronically with the subject “Director of Student Affairs” to Human Resources ([email protected]).