Overview of the Role
Under the supervision of the Logistics officer, the driver is responsible for the safe transportation of the people and/or goods of INTERSOS vehicle dedicated to the project in a timely manner and as per the INTERSOS rules regulations and national traffic laws.
Tasks and Main Responsibilities
- Drive the assigned vehicle in the different project locations and back, according to the programme needs and activities, following internal security procedures, ensuring safety of passengers by respecting all Traffic Regulations, wearing seat belts at all times, respecting the highway code in force in the country, ensuring the security of persons or vehicles in the vicinity.
- Inform the bases of departure and arrival as per the SoPs.
- To be responsible for the security of the vehicle on duty and to ensure no unauthorized person drives official vehicles.
- Immediately report any accident or security incident/risk to supervisor; Complete accident and incident reports accurately and in a timely manner.
- Check daily before departure that the vehicle is roadworthy and provided of the required vehicle packs (breakdown & recovery kit; fire extinguishers; first-aid kit) according to Vehicle Check List.
- Check for vehicle defects and damage to the vehicle and ensure that they are reported to the line manager. Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assign vehicle.
- Ensure that the vehicle is kept clean outside and inside at all times. Ensure to keep the vehicle tidy and that all rubbish is removed from the vehicle after a journey.
- Prepare Daily Vehicle Usage report, including logbook: trip use, mileage and fuel consumption.
- Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
- Ensure that all the passengers wear the vehicle safety belts before driving the vehicle.
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by Line Managers.
- Apply security rules and standards according to internal SoPs.
- Strictly following speed limits and adjusting the speed according to the state of the road or track, when near built-up and populated areas. Following and having the passengers follow security instructions regarding check points.
- Facilitate smooth transit across barriers or checkpoints, liaise with governmental officers, security officers, and military representatives.
- Ensure compliance with INTERSOS internal rules, inclusive of denying access on board to people external to the organization, military, or people carrying weapons.
- Work after duty hours or holidays as and when required and with prior notice from line manager.
- Perform other related duties as required by the line manager.
Required Qualifications and Qualities
- Enthusiastic, flexible, committed,
- Must have a valid PUBLIC driving license and clean driving record;
- Previous experience of 2-3 years as driver REQUIRED, experience with I/NGOs or UN agencies is an asset;
- Familiar with defensive driving techniques and project area is desirable;
- Essential literacy and EXCELLENT knowledge of Arabic required;
- English (B1 – B2) is a selection criterion;
- Good knowledge of country roads;
- Technical diploma in vehicle repair and maintenance is desirable;
- Willing to work in the field as per need of the project activities including occasional overnight stays away from home base;
- Ability to work in multi-cultural team and in diverse populations and under pressure;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; Non-judgmental attitude and respect for INTERSOS’s beneficiaries, other staff and people that INTERSOS deals with;
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Address Balad
- Salary Offer To be shared at a later stage USD To be shared at a later stage Month
- How to apply INTERSOS is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right for everyone to apply to its vacancies without any discrimination. For those interested and who meet the required criteria, please apply below. Kindly note that: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Your resume must be uploaded in PDF format. INTERSOS is reviewing applications on a rolling basis, and we reserve the right to close the vacancy before the mentioned closing date. The preference will be given to qualified candidates from the recruitment area.