WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies, building prosperity, and supporting a sustainable future for people recovering from conflict, disasters, and the impact of climate change. In 2022 WFP supported 711,635 people in Iraq. Through providing food for vulnerable people, skills to build futures, and enhanced social protection, WFP is helping the Government of Iraq build people’s food security and resilience. For more information, see wfp.org/countries/iraq and ar.wfp.org/countries/iraq.
Job holders report to the Business Support Associate (Security)or designate, and drive light vehicles, trucks, vans, motorcycles or any other type of land transport. They may also be assigned to operate speed boats or other types of watercrafts. The job may involve basic administrative assistance in the office or stores.
To provide efficient and safe transportation of authorized personnel and/or commodities
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Provide transportation of authorized personnel including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and/or delivery of various items/commodities following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
2. Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorised destinations.
3. Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status, to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
4. Responsible that the assigned vehicle is kept clean and in a good condition including all equipment, the maintenance is done on time, vehicle is fully equipped with required travel authorisations and supplies, and any mechanical issues are reported to the supervisor to ensure safe and efficient services.
5. Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
6. Outside driving duties, perform basic office related tasks such as filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required including delivery/collection of various items, mailing service and payment of office telephone and other bills to ensure administrative support to clients.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. Formal drivers training with a valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations.
Experience: Two or more years of work experience as a Driver, preferably in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a demonstrated safe driving record. Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks and other kinds of motorised vehicles. Experience in defensive driving is desirable.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
•Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, local roads/waterways and conditions, and security issues.
• Knowledge of the vehicle loading capacity and other parameters.
• Knowledge of driving/boat operating rules and regulations whichever applicable.
• Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (e.g., fire extinguishers, buoyant wearable safety devices, etc.).
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods.
• Knowledge and ability to use radio, email, telephone and other applications.
• Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
• Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy and tact.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Position Title: Driver (4 positions)
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duty Station: Baghdad, Iraq
Salary: Annual Net is 14941 USD
Medical Plan: Valid medical plan for the staff member, spouse, and dependent’s children under 18 years
Annual Leave: 30 working days per annum
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications close on 11th September 2023
Qualified women and people with physical impairments are strongly encouraged to apply.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.