Position Education Coordinator
Supervises Education Managers
Duty Station Erbil, with regular travel to all project locations in Iraq Reporting to Head of Mission, with close collaboration with Program Coordinator
All INTERSOS employees are expected to perform their roles and responsibilities according to the INTERSOS charter of values, code of ethics, PSEA and Child Protection policies. The job description is mandatory for all positions within INTERSOS and shall be signed by the employee within the first week
Purpose/objective of the position:
The Education Coordinator coordinates and provides technical support to education activities and services, ensuring that the implementation meets relevant quality standards; takes the leads on coordination with education stakeholders and external sector coordination platforms; and assists in the
defining, developing, implementing and evaluating the education strategy and program of the mission.
- Provide technical support and day to day technical supervision to the Education Managers in particular and the entire Education team in general, ensuring that quality standards are maintained in implementation of activities.
- Assess the capacity-building needs of the Education team and provide training, mentoring and other learning opportunities to the team in order to ensure these needs are met.
- Proactively engage with education stakeholders (government, non-government) and participate in coordination platforms.
- In close collaboration with the Program Coordinator and the HoM, contribute to developing the mission’s education strategy in the education sector and the design of programming.
Program activities planning, coordination, monitoring and evaluation:
- Provide input, guidance and support to ensure the quality implementation of Education project activities.
- In collaboration with Program Managers and Project Managers and the MEAL department, elaborate and contextualize tools to monitor and evaluate Education project activities.
- Undertake field visits to the projects’ locations to monitor the progress and the quality implementation of the activities as well as to obtain findings to be shared with stakeholders and coordination platforms.
- Regularly assess, analyze and evaluate the impact of the Education activities to adjust the program accordingly.
- Work closely with Program/Project Managers and Education Managers to ensure adequate integration of the different intervention sectors.
Coordination and capacity-building of staff, volunteers and partners:
- Technically supervise (3) Education Managers
- In cooperation with Program/Project/Education Managers, participate in the recruitment and other HR-related processes (onboarding training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, assessment of staff development needs, etc) of national staff and volunteers for the education program.
- Assess the capacity-building needs of the Education staff and volunteers (and when appropriate Education partners); in cooperation with line managers and the HR department, design and implement a capacity building plan, including developing materials, to ensure enhanced education response capacity and service provision according to international standards and principles.
- Provide training, coaching and mentoring to the Education Managers and other member of the team.
- Contribute to ensuring that the staff and volunteers respect INTERSOS rules and regulations, and adhere to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics.
- Contribute to preparing donor and internal reports regarding the technical aspects of Education activities.
- Review all monthly, interim and final reports related to Education projects prior to submission by the Program and Grants teams.
- In coordination with MEAL department be responsible for the Education Platform and other INTERSOS reporting tools, to support regular gathering and updating of data and information.
- Review (monthly) reports for local authorities (DoE and specific departments) when required.
Coordination and representation:
- In collaboration with the Program Coordinator and HoM, establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, local authorities, government institutions, partners, key stakeholders and other actors.
- Contribute to mapping of the actors operating in the sector and of the available services.
- In collaboration with Program Coordinator and HoM, participate in meetings with relevant donors, and in relevant coordination meetings and working groups at national, regional, governorate and
- Advise the HoM and Program Coordination on advocacy issues in the education sector, identifying gaps and sharing needs to donors.
- Support donors field and monitoring visits.
- Regularly and actively take part in the education sector coordination platforms, Working Groups, Taskforces, etc, promoting INTERSOS’ role and positioning in the education sector (10% of working
- Regularly share education reports and assessments with coordination platforms and Education stakeholders.
- Undertake field visits to identify education needs and gaps, monitor the progress and the quality implementation of the project activities and prepare reports.
- Coordinate and supervise the assessment exercise writing reports with findings
- In collaboration with Program Coordinator promote integration of activities with other projects and support the coordination with other actors intervening in the areas of operation.
- Regularly assess education needs and gaps of target populations in current and prospective areas of operation, conducting analysis and adapting the program accordingly.
- Assess the education response capacities of potential partners.
- Develop, implement and evaluate the education strategy and program, providing technical inputs, suggestions for improvements and recommendations for future actions.
- Assess, analyze and evaluate the impact of project activities to inform and adjust the program accordingly .
- Provide to Head of Mission and Program Coordinator relevant analysis on trends of education sector response.
- In collaboration with Program Coordinator and Program Managers, design and elaborate new education interventions.
- Work closely with the Education Managers, Program/Project Managers to ensure an adequate integration of the different intervention sectors.
- Support the integration of psychosocial support activities and protection services, as well as mainstreaming of key cross-cutting issues (community engagement, gender) into the education strategy and program, promoting age, gender and diversity sensitive approaches.
- Support the launch of new interventions and provide guidance to Program/Project Managers and technical staffs .
Technical support for tools and resources :
- Review and update the Education Organogram and related staff ToRs on an regular (at least annual) basis.
- Regularly update (and on ad hoc basis) tools and resources for education activities in line with INTERSOS standards and Education Cluster guidelines based on and stored in the drive Education
- Design and regularly update tools for assessments.
- Regularly update Education sector coordination platforms and stakeholders about resources and tools developed for endorsement and approval
- In coordination with education actors, coordination bodies, WG/taskforces, promote the development of common resources to be used and endorsed at national level.
Education and professional experience:
- University Degree in education or other related field (social sciences, etc); Masters degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in implementing or managing Education sector activities, with at least 1 year in a senior managerial or technical support role.
- Previous experience in reporting and project development.
- Previous experience in coordinating with MoE/DoE and other Education stakeholders.
Competencies: (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities) :
- Strong technical knowledge in Education
- Excellent knowledge of the Education system in Iraq and of Education sector stakeholders .
- Understanding of the impact of conflict in Iraq on the population and specially on children.
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Good leadership skills and team spirit.
- High confidentiality and respectful and non-discriminatory attitude.
- Good diplomacy, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical and report writing skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure.
- Knowledge of child safeguarding and PSEA standards.
- Fluency in Arabic and Kurdish (written and spoken)
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- How to apply INTERSOS is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right for everyone to apply to its vacancies without any discrimination. For those interested and who meet the required criteria, please apply below. Kindly note that: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Your resume must be uploaded in PDF format. INTERSOS is reviewing applications on a rolling basis, and we reserve the right to close the vacancy before the mentioned closing date. The preference will be given to qualified candidates from the recruitment area .