Free to Run’s mission is to advance gender equity globally through running. We are a registered nonprofit / nongovernmental organization that has been operating community-led programs for adolescent girls and young women since 2014. We are known for delivering long-term, youth-led, progressive running, leadership, rights and health programs directly to adolescent girls and young women living in protracted conflict zones. However, the longer term impact of our work is building enduring social change – decreasing barriers to public participation, increasing women in leadership and making power structures more equitable and inclusive. Free to Run identifies as an organization working at the intersections of feminism, human rights, development and humanitarian interventions.
The organization is in a position of significant growth, in terms of our strategy, reach, impact and operating budget. In 2024, we will embark on a new three-year strategic plan that positions us to reach 50,000 people by 2026, through direct service, capacity building for local, women-led NGOs and building a movement of activists who are passionate about freedom and running.
The Administrative and Operations Assistant is responsible for providing administrative, logistic and procurement support to the Free to Run’s programs and operations. The role involves ensuring the smooth running of the office, managing the inventory and assets, facilitating travel and accommodation arrangements, and procuring goods and services in compliance with the FTR’s policies and procedures. The Administrative and Operations Assistant will work under the general supervision of the Country Director and the direct supervision of the Finance and Operation Manager will be based in Erbil with some travels to other areas when required. This is a full-time position.
- Process all legal documents for the organisation, ensuring compliance with local regulations.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, conferences, and events.
- Make travel and accommodation arrangements for staff and visitors, both for the country office and field locations.
- Support with the preparation of reports, presentations, and documentation.
- Process and obtain visas, residencies, stay permits, travel permits, and working permits for Free to Run staff.
- Ensure Free to Run compliance with all requirements of the directorate of NGOs and other national and local authorities.
- Stay updated and informed about any change in the procedures to follow in order to obtain any visa, stay, travel or working permits.
- Maintain good relationships with local authorities
- Maintain records of formal letters, overseeing ingoing and outgoing correspondence.
- Collect timesheets, monitor balances, and usage.
- Handle petty cash and expense reimbursement.
- Translate and interpret documents and communications between English, Kurdish, and Arabic as required.
- Research and identify potential suppliers, obtain quotes, and negotiate prices.
- Procure goods from approved suppliers, monitor deliveries, and ensure compliance with procurement policies and that they meet specifications.
- Maintain accurate records of purchases, contracts, and agreements.
- Support document collection, verification, and vetting for vendors.
- Keep the approved suppliers’ list database updated.
- Conduct inventory, asset management, and tagging for equipment and supplies.
- Manage internal logistics of equipment, supplies, and materials within the office and field locations.
- Plan and arrange transportation of materials and equipment.
- Collaborate with transportation providers and customs authorities to facilitate the movement of goods.
- Assist in organizing events and workshops, ensuring smooth logistics coordination.
- Supervise NGO drivers, monitor car logs, and ensure adherence to safety and security procedures.
Complete other activities as directed by the Finance and Operation Manager and perform all other tasks and responsibilities assigned for the benefit of Free to Run with a generous and serving spirit.
Location (Duty Station)
The Administrative and Operations Assistant position will be based in Erbil, with some travels to other areas when required.
The Administrative and Operations Assistant position is a Full-time role, estimated at 40 hours per week. Due to the nature of the organisation’s business, hours may fluctuate outside regular core hours for Free to Run, which is 9am-5pm, with the possibility of some nights or weekends, depending on the needs of the organisation.
Based on experience. Aligned with market rate in Kurdistan and Iraq
Education, Experience and Competencies
Below is what we are looking for as we evaluate applications. Candidates don’t need to have all these experiences and competencies but should be able to display strengths across multiple areas.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management & Administration, Logistics, or related field.
Eligibility: Candidates must not hold concurrent employment or contractual obligations to be considered eligible for this position.
Experience: At least 2-3 years of professional experience in Administration, Finance, logistics, and procurement. Experience with INGOs preferred.
Skills and Competencies
- Proven experience and knowledge of operational Admin, logistics & supply practice, policies & procedures
- Experience in liaison with government entities
- Knowledge of facility management and office logistics.
- Strong administrative skills, word processing abilities, and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of visa processes and requirement in the context of Iraq will be an asset
- Excellent organizational skills with keen attention to detail.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills for effective vendor and team coordination.
- Initiative and pro-active problem-solving skills
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team, managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Willingness to travel domestically as needed.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and values.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Proficiency in the use of computers and packages
- Flexibility and ready to work extra hours where required.
Language: Proficiency in written and spoken command of English and in Arabic is required and Knowledge Kurdish is preferred.
Free to Run is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We don’t just accept differences — we celebrate, support and thrive on them for the benefit of our team, our programs, and our organizational strength. We are proud to be an affirmative action employer, committed to diversity, equity and inclusion of ALL people in our hiring and employment practices. We encourage applications from people who have non-dominant identities based on race, ethnicity, migration status, ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class, etc.
To Apply for this Position: Interested applicants can apply for the position by filling the form in the below link
providing essential information and uploading cover letters and CV/resume in PDF. The deadline for submission of application is 26th January 2024
Please note: Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
- Address Erbil
- How to apply https://forms.gle/7goNRrTnobb6vkgA8