About medica mondiale
medica mondiale e.V. is a non-governmental organisation based in Cologne, Germany. As a feminist women’s rights and aid organisation medica mondiale supports women and girls in war and crisis zones throughout the world. Through own programmes and in cooperation with local women’s organisations we offer holistic support to women and girl survivors of sexualized and gender-based violence. On the political level, we pro-actively promote women’s rights, call for a rigorous punishment of crimes as well as effective protection, justice and political participation for survivors of violence. Currently medica mondiale is working in Northern Iraq/Kurdistan, in Afghanistan, in West Africa, in Southeast Europe as well as the African Great Lakes Region.
Call for Expressions of Interest
Expert for International Advocacy Consultant (2023-2025)
Preliminary terms of reference (Date: /03/2023)
The Transnational Health Training and Advocacy Programme (THTP) aims at improving access to stress- and trauma-sensitive health care services for women and girls affected by sexualized and gender-based violence (SGBV) in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), Kosovo (KOS) and the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI). medica mondiale implements the THTP together with its partner organizations Medica Zenica (BiH) and Medica Gjakova (Kosovo). In the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI) the project is implemented through the medica mondiale regional office. The project is now in its third phase (2022 – 2025). One of the main focuses of this phase is to upscale field-tested good practices and lessons learned in implementing the Stress- and trauma-sensitive approach (STA) in the health care sector from the country level to the international sphere.
The project pursues a system-oriented approach that strengthens capacities at several levels with connected components:
- Direct support and awareness raising for SGBV survivors and their social environment
- Qualification and strengthening of health professionals
- Advocacy work on country level
- Transnational Learning Exchange
- International Advocacy work
Purpose of Assignment
The Component “International advocacy work to institutionalise stress- and trauma sensitivity in the global health sector” addresses the necessary change at international level to improving access for survivors to stress and trauma sensitive health services. This component focuses on the further development of the international advocacy strategy of the programme – which has been developed as a draft in the previous phase by the THTP-Partners – and its implementation.
In this context, the purpose of the assignment is to support the International THTP Advocacy Team in further developing and implementing the international advocacy strategy and contributing to the capacity development of the THTP partners in international advocacy work.
The consultant will support the THTP team in the following activities:
- Finalizing the international advocacy strategy, linking it to the country strategies
- Continuous mapping, monitoring and assessment (develop and share recommendations) of relevant international advocacy platforms and participation in selected ones (Together with THTP partners whenever possible)
- Advocacy meetings (individual/bilateral exchanges) with selected persons from advocacy target groups to establish partnerships and to promote the messages of the programme (Together with THTP partners whenever possible)
- Support organising own advocacy events (such as conferences, round tables etc, as specified in the THTP international advocacy strategy)
- Contribution to the development of specific advocacy products (position papers, draft standard procedures, recommendation papers, shadow reports, visual materials, campaigns etc. as specified in the THTP international advocacy strategy)
- Capacity development for THTP implementing partner organisations
The consultancy shall accompany the project implementation between 2023 and 2025. It is estimated that the implementation of the tasks requires on average around 30 working days per year. The details and exact distribution of workload over the years will be defined based on the revised THTP international advocacy strategy together with the consultant.
- Project specific international advocacy strategy, revised and agreed with THTP partners, including an implementation plan and a mapping of relevant actors and platforms
- Developed advocacy products (as defined in the International Advocacy Strategy)
- Documentation of each advocacy and capacity development activity held or participated in.
- Further needs based deliverables within the technical support to partners (to be defined during process)
The advocacy consultant will report to the International THTP Advocacy Team, composed by the THTP partner organisations, and coordinated by medica mondiale e.V.. Regular update meetings with the International Advocacy Team and the THTP project manager at medica mondiale e.V. will be arranged to define further details and to agree on the deliverables and changes if needed.
- Proven experience in international advocacy work (including development of advocacy strategies for and with CSOs development and implementation of advocacy work), ideally in the health care sector and with linkage to SRHR
- Strong knowledge of international public health policies and the related stakeholders, policies and guidelines, with relevance for improving access to adequate health services for survivors of SGBV
- Strong comprehensive and holistic understanding of SGBV in conflict affected contexts.
- Knowledge of the stress and trauma sensitive approach is an asset
- Expertise in providing capacity development to local partner organisations
- Knowledge about dynamics in conflict contexts
- Regional expertise in the specific country and post-conflict contexts of the project (BiH, KOS and KRI) would be an asset
- Excellent and proven report writing and verbal communication skills in English. Other language skills relevant for the respective countries, would be an asset
- Knowledge of Microsoft 365 and MS Teams
- Feminist background and a clear commitment to working with an intersectional women centred and empowering approach
- Strong communication, interpersonal and inter-cultural skills: ability to communicate with partner organisations and stakeholders from health institutions at different levels and contexts (local, country, regional, international) in a suitable way
- Ability to work in an independent and self-contained way, while maintaining reliable communication and working relations with both, medica mondiale e.V. head office and partner organizations
- Flexible, able to deal with challenging, conflict related work context
- Preferred starting date: As soon as possible.
As this assignment will be implemented in a dynamic and crisis affected context the consultant will be offered a frame contract to allow for re-evaluation and adaptation of the tasks based on the needs.
How to apply
To indicate your interest, please send your CV and expression of interest, including your daily rate and an offer for the assignment (please send all documents as one PDF file with a maximum of 2 MB). Only successful candidates will be contacted. The interviews will take place online.
Please send your application with the subject ‘International Advocacy Consultant for THTP 3’ email@example.com until 24 April 2023.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply. We strive for greater diversity of life backgrounds and therefore expressly welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, people with experience of racism/people of colour and people with disabilities.
Further information on medica mondiale and our projects can be found on our website: medicamondiale.org . For specific questions related to the assignment, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How to apply To indicate your interest, please send your CV and expression of interest, including your daily rate and an offer for the assignment (please send all documents as one PDF file with a maximum of 2 MB). Only successful candidates will be contacted. The interviews will take place online. Please send your application with the subject ‘International Advocacy Consultant for THTP 3’ email@example.com until 24 April 2023. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. We strive for greater diversity of life backgrounds and therefore expressly welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, people with experience of racism/people of colour and people with disabilities. Further information on medica mondiale and our projects can be found on our website: medicamondiale.org . For specific questions related to the assignment, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.