This position is located in the Facilities Management and Welfare Section within the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), Erbil. The incumbent will report to the Facilities Management Supervisor.
Under the direct supervision of the Facilities Management Supervisor, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Providing administrative assistance to the Chief of the Section regarding the ongoing projects in the mission. Establishing plans for carrying out projects as requested, considering manpower, supplies, and time required. Distributing the tasks to the different staff and contractors involved.
• Contacting the different offices for supplies and services required Coordinating between the different resources.
• Monitoring the ongoing process and working out the difficulties that might arise along the process.
• Reviewing all incoming requests and deciding on the priority of tasks to be accomplished together with Chief of Section.
• Checking the areas concerned and advising the relevant staff to provide the required maintenance.
• Contacting vendors and/or contractors concerning any services and materials that cannot be provided locally and initiating requisitions accordingly.
• Conducting inspections to ensure requirements are met.
• Monitoring service contracts, in terms of supervising contractors, services rendered, and funds involved. Drafting the service contracts including cleaning, laundry and dining contracts and ensuring the maximum benefit to the UN.
• Coordinating with Acquisition planning and requisition unit APRU all UMOJA Transaction.
• Reviewing and checking the work provided by the contractors in accordance with the need of the mission. Reviewing areas that need more attention other than the routine daily work for cleaners and advising their foreman on schedules in the cases of meetings, conferences, functions, moving offices or conducting maintenance work in some offices.
• Checking the invoices submitted by the contractors in terms of the work provided in line with the contract, and ensuring the accuracy of prices, and availability of funds
• Signing the correct invoices that services arc satisfactorily rendered prior to certifying them by the Chief of Section. Providing logistics support to all ongoing daily briefings and conferences in mission HQ.
• Ensuring that conference rooms are available for the meeting/conference.
• Advising IT and communications on any equipment to be installed and ensuring proper installation and functionality.
• Advising Chief of Section and facility management assistant on the Acquisition plan status and availability of allocated funds.
• Ensuring that beverages and snacks are made available, as well as a proper and quiet atmosphere around the occupied areas.
• Providing logistical support to claims officers with regard to write-off cases. Providing logistical support in cases of emergencies and evacuations.
Other Duties (Mail and Pouch Services)
• Prepares airway bills and related documents for courier pouches and special pouches.
• Prepares computerized records on details of outgoing material, e.g., send addressee, and destination for financial and statistical purposes.
• Compiles, computes, and prepares statistics on work carried out by the office.
• Revises outgoing pouch worksheets when routing in changed; advises departments involved, drafts letters of instructions to users.
• Ensures that all items received through the incoming pouch for transshipment outgoing pouch, and in outgoing mail units, are accurately recorded, official and in compliance with pouch and mail rules, and that respective departments are properly charged.
• Perform other duties as required.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. A commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise. Is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with a final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
A minimum of Five (5) years relevant work experience in Facilities Management, building management, engineering, architecture, administrative services, or related area is required.
Knowledge of UN rules and regulations for facility management is desirable.
Knowledge of computer applications Word & Excel is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in both English and Kurdish is required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
All non-Iraqi applicants need to have a valid work permit for Iraq and need to upload a copy of such a work permit.
Applicants must ensure that their name in the application matches the name on their national passport or Government provided national Identification Document (ID). A discrepancy between the name in the applicant’s application and national ID/passport may impact the recruitment process.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance and geographical diversity in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term “sexual harassment” means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator’s working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, United Nations staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the United Nations in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.