Job Title: Faculty and Program Manager for Design Thinking and Entrepreneurship
Institution: The American University of Kurdistan
Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region, Iraq
Job Type: Full-Time
Posting Date: 21/02/2023
Closing Date: Open until filled
Salary: Competitive and Commensurate with experience
Founded in 2014 as a non-profit institution of higher learning by Masrour Barzani, the American University of Kurdistan is dedicated to preparing future generations of leaders through curricular and co-curricular excellence in an American-style education focusing on transformative knowledge, innovative research, ethical community service, respect for inclusion and diversity, global connectedness, and life-long learning, all aiming to ensure economic, environmental, social and political advancement- regionally, nationally and globally.
The American University of Kurdistan will be recognized as a premier institution in the Middle East and beyond by cultivating academic excellence, fostering creativity, and engaging in highest caliber of applied research.
We are seeking an experienced and visionary faculty member and program manager to lead the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program, with a focus on fostering an environment of creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship, which utilizes contemporary design thinking methodologies. The candidate will be responsible for creating and implementing programs and initiatives aimed at encouraging entrepreneurship and driving innovation, and will play a crucial role in driving the development of cutting-edge products, services, and solutions that address critical challenges facing the industry and society. As a faculty member, the candidate will teach two courses per semester focused on innovation and design thinking as it pertains to their respective discipline. Faculty members are expected to meet institutional expectations in respect to teaching, service, and research. Rank is commensurate with teaching and professional experience.
Faculty Responsibilities (50%):
- Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course’s standard course outline as a guide.
- The basic instructional assignment is 12 credit hours per academic year.
- Develop course curricula, teaching and other instructional materials, lectures, labs, etc. as appropriate to the respective course assignment.
- The Faculty shall implement the AUK provisions and regulations on Quality Assurance (QA) for enhancing student’s learning outcomes.
- Be available to students via email, phone, or on Microsoft Teams for personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to students through the course syllabus each semester; the communication plan should also be on file with the department.
- Help students achieve their educational and career goals through formal and/or informal advising.
- Post and keep on campus hours to facilitate interaction with students, other faculty, staff, administrators, and the public.
- Attend departmental, divisional, and college-wide meetings.
- Conduct research and publish in the field of specialty.
- Receive training or stay current in current trends in instructional development that promote student learning.
Program Manager (50%) Responsibilities:
- Oversee the daily operations of the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program, including the development and implementation of a strategic plan.
- Develop initiatives that foster an environment of creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship, utilizing design thinking methodologies.
- Lead the student start-up incubation and product development program; this includes the annual innovation program, including the kick-off event, boot camps (focused on market research, competitive analyses, feasibility studies for their proposed businesses, etc.) and the incubator phase, where students receive training on how to start their businesses, get financial management training, and prototype their product/service.
- Work with the Colleges to infuse design thinking into the curricula.
- Foster relationships with external organizations and individuals in the innovation and entrepreneurship community to expand the Lab’s network and grow a start-up ecosystem in the region.
- Actively seek out funding opportunities to support the programs.
- Maintain a deep understanding of the latest trends, technologies, and best practices in design thinking and entrepreneurship.
Ensure that the incubator and other programming upholds the highest standards of inclusion and accessibility.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s or PhD degree in a related field, such as engineering, business, IT or technology.
- Minimum of 3 years teaching or leading an entrepreneurship/start-up program at an institution of higher education.
- A minimum of 2-5 years of experience in innovation, entrepreneurship, or a related field, with a proven track record of delivering results.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate teams.
- Strong strategic and business acumen, with the ability to develop and execute a strategic plan.
- Ability to build relationships with external stakeholders and cultivate partnerships that drive innovation and entrepreneurship.
- A passion for innovation and entrepreneurship, with a demonstrated commitment to fostering an ecosystem of innovation and collaboration.
- Track record of creating and implementing successful programs and initiatives in design thinking and entrepreneurship
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, including entrepreneurs, startups, investors, and students.
It is the policy of the American University of Kurdistan to provide an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. The University promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace and makes recruiting decisions exclusively on the basis of qualifications, merit, and current work needs. This policy applies to all hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, remuneration, benefits, and training procedures within our Institution.
The search committee will immediately begin reviewing applications and continue until an appointment is made for interviews. Applications must be emailed to [email protected]d with the position’s name in the “subject” field. To ensure full consideration, applications must include a letter of interest, analysis of qualifications, curriculum vitae that includes e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers. If you encounter any issues with the Application process, please email the previously listed email address.