Job Title: Faculty/Computer Science & Information Technology, College of Arts and Sciences
Institution: The American University of Kurdistan
Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region, Iraq
Job Type: Full Time
Posting Date: 13 April, 2022
Closing Date: 20 June, 2022
Salary: Competitive and Commensurate with experience
AUK invites applicants for a full time faculty position at the Department of Computer Science & Information Technology of the College of Arts & Science. AUK is a not-for-profit special status institution committed to advancing academic excellence, expanding liberal arts, professional, and scientific knowledge and preparing the next generation of leaders for the community. AUK envisions becoming the leading academic institution in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq and beyond through implementing pedagogical approaches that impact critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork and the lifelong learning skills required for success in contemporary society and workplaces.
This position reports directly to the Chair of the Department of Computer Science & Information Technology
AUK invites applications for this faculty position starting in Fall 2022.
We are seeking to appoint a motivated and suitably qualified academic/practitioner with expertise in the fields of Computer Science & Information Technology. The successful applicant will join a vibrant team and help shape the development of our educational and professional course provision in this exciting area. The following are the main responsibilities:
- Lecture undergraduate courses.
- Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course’s standard course outline as a guide.
- Create, post, and articulate course syllabus, course learning outcomes or objectives in order to ensure student understanding of course learning objectives and expectations.
- Create course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, workshops, presentations, and other course materials required to deliver course content in an understandable and interesting manner to ensure students are engaged with the course material in order to achieve the course learning outcomes.
- Participate in program level learning assessment. Participation includes helping articulate learning outcomes, choosing and administering measures, evaluating student performance, and suggesting changes to improve student learning.
- Schedule, supervise, debrief, and evaluate students in internship, observation, field experience, and similar settings as appropriate for the course or program.
- Responsible for delivering in a student receptive manner the knowledge, skills, and experiences each student needs to successfully achieve course learning outcomes as outlined in the course syllabus.
- Create course rubrics in order to assess each student’s performance related to the course’s learning objective and to identify areas for student improvement.
- Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with educational rights and privacy requirements (FERPA regulations) and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
- Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, faculty senate, or as a student organization advisor.
- Take on caretaker administrative duties if required by the Provost and mentor and/or assist in orienting new faculty either formally or informally.
- Attend local, regional, state, or national meetings where required or necessary for the discipline as well as departmental, divisional, and college-wide meetings.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the community, professionals, foundations and companies that support institutional growth.
- Collaborate with the faculty on a number of interdisciplinary research projects, secure research funding and teach undergraduate (and later graduate) courses.
- Perform other appropriate and reasonable required duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or, a closely related field from a reputable university.
- Relevant experience in academic, practitioner and/or consultant duties.
- Demonstrate ability to teach relevant courses.
- Demonstrate record or potential for research and publication in scholarly journals within the discipline
- Strong communication skills required to transfer the knowledge to the student body.
The search committee will begin a review of applications immediately and continue work until an appointment is made. To assure full consideration, kindly include a cover letter, curriculum vitae and three references. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant.
Applications should be submitted electronically with the subject “Full Time Faculty in Computer Science & Information Technology/ College of Arts & Science” to the Human Resources ([email protected]).