We are seeking to employ a candidate for the following position:
Field Communications Officer (FCO)
(مُسؤول/ مسؤولة إعلام وتواصل ميداني)
Place of work: Position based in Erbil, but possibility of frequent travel to Baghdad and other project locations throughout Iraq.
Deadline for application: 16/04/2022
Main purpose of the job:
Contributing to the implementation of MSF’s operational communication strategy in Iraq according to the MSF communications standards. Aiming at:
- building MSF’s visibility, acceptance, and leverage inside and outside the country
- sensitizing on urgent medical/humanitarian needs of the populations that MSF serves in Iraq
- raising awareness about medical/humanitarian issues in Iraq and in areas of MSF’s operations
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- a) Media Management
- Under the supervision of the Field Communications Manager (FCM), the FCO establishes and maintains regular relations with key Iraqi media contacts (journalists, bloggers, photographers, and cameramen), with specific focus on MSF’s regions of operations in Iraq.
- He/ she will handle all media requests to MSF in Iraq and will contact media proactively to pitch MSF’s messages and contents.
- He/she organizes events for local media (Press conferences, Press briefings…).
- Provide briefings for MSF spokespeople ahead of interviews or any interaction with media.
- The FCO may act as a spokesperson for media, particularly in local languages not spoken by members of the field coordination team.
- b) Media Alert
- The FCO monitors local media and flags significant articles, trends, news or reports of importance for MSF or on the context to Head(s) of Mission and Field Communications Manager (FCM).
- The FCO produces the MSF Iraq Media Review update on regular bases as assigned by FCM and according to the required frequency.
- He/she produces strategic reports on the local media landscape (key media, audience numbers, political affiliation, ownership, freedom of speech) and regularly reports on new developments.
- He/she monitors local media for any mentions of MSF and MSF activities and report to FCM.
- He/she provides guidance to operational teams on how to deal with local media at time of crisis.
- c) Content Diffusion
- The FCO actively diffuses MSF content in the country in local languages and among local media. And works jointly with the Social Media Officer on promoting these contents on MSF’s social media accounts and on collaborating with local influencers for enhanced reach.
- d) Content Production
- The FCO can be in charge of the production of communication tools and products (press releases, articles, videos, photos, leaflets, brochures, posters, radio spots, etc.) according to the country communications strategy and budget.
- He/she helps identify the right communications tools and adapts/translates communications materials to targeted local audiences.
- e) Internal Communication
- The FCO helps briefs MSF staff present in Iraq about MSF’s communications activities in the country
- He/ she helps the FCM on sensitizing MSF staff about potential external communications risks.
- When applicable the FCO provides communication training for other staff.
- f) Reporting
- The FCO participates in communication data-collection and reporting as required.
- g) Monitoring
- He/she is expected to be responsive during times of high need for monitoring certain topics on media and timely reporting to the FCM and/or MSF missions as assigned by FCM. Under the supervision of the FCM, the FCO will coordinate with Social Meida Officer to monitor updates on media outlets as well as on social media platforms.
Requirements for the role:
|Education||– Essential: degree in Journalism, Communications or related university degree.|
|Experience||– Essential: previous working experience of at least 2 years in communications, journalism, or public relations in the country.
– Essential: previous working experience in dealing with media in the country.
|Languages||– Mandatory: proficiency in English, and Arabic (written and spoken) is mandatory for the position.
– Kurdish language is highly desired.
|Knowledge||– Excellent writing skills
– Thorough knowledge of traditional media and good understanding of social media
– Good networking and media relations skills
– Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
– Good balance between working independently and autonomously and working in a team.
What we offer:
- Legal contract and pay in accordance with MSF Salary Grid. Level 07
- The chance to gain professional development and to develop (career path, training, etc.) within the organisation.
- The opportunity to contribute to our objective of saving lives, alleviating suffering and working with those most in need.
- Address Erbil Governorate | MSF Erbil Office
- Salary Offer MSF Salary Grid
- How to apply How to Apply: Interested candidates are invited to submit their complete application file (CV + motivation letter + Diploma + references + ID card), Only applications with complete documentation will be considered By email to [email protected] Please indicate “FCO” in the e-mail title. We recommend all applicants to write a cover letter containing an introduction of yourself, explaining why you are applying for the position, and explaining why you think you are suitable for the position. In-complete applications will not be considered Only PDF and Word Format Applications will be considered English CVs only Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted Your application will not be returned to you at any stage of the recruitment process. We may take down this vacancy in case we’ve reached the required number of applications.