Department: Finance Department
Salary: Competitive and Commensurate with experience
Founded in 2014 as a non-profit institution of higher learning by Masrour Barzani, the American University of Kurdistan is dedicated to preparing future generations of leaders through curricular and co-curricular excellence in an American-style education focusing on transformative knowledge, innovative research, ethical community service, respect for inclusion and diversity, global connectedness, and life-long learning, all aiming to ensure economic, environmental, social and political advancement- regionally, nationally and globally.
The American University of Kurdistan will be recognized as a premier institution in the Middle East and beyond by cultivating academic excellence, fostering creativity, and engaging in highest caliber of applied research.
The Finance Department principally assists AUK’s various departments, boards and
committees by planning, organizing and directing financial activities, in conformance
with applicable local laws, as well as standards set forth by GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles).
Additional responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Manage the inflow and outflow of cash; ensure the adequate and timely
provision of cash to finance the University’s operations.
- Formulate financial insights and feasibility assessments that inform management’s
decisions on the continued operations – and future expansion – of the University.
- Provide timely and accurate financial information to senior management.
- Identify future investments and formulate long-term financial plans.
- Manage the University’s assets and investments.
- Pay debtors, suppliers, and external contractors on time.
- Manage all tax and employee payroll issues.
- Draft budgets and financial forecasts.
- Manage and facilitate external audit processes.
- Maintain the financial management/reporting system, in compliance with GAAP.
- Ensure compliance with local laws in all financial transactions.
The Finance Coordinator at AUK plays a crucial role in ensuring accurate financial processes and effective communication with banks. With responsibilities including accounts payable, payroll, budgeting, and oversight of university expenditures, this role requires excellent attention to detail, strong communication skills, and proficiency in financial operations.
- Efficiently process vendor invoices, secure approvals, and ensure accurate payments.
- Foster vendor relationships and maintain compliance with policies and procedures.
- Act as the main point of contact with banks, manage fund transfers, and ensure precise bank account reconciliation.
- Maintain open communication and strong relationships with all stakeholders.
- Process payroll with precision in a timely manner, maintain employee records and address inquiries.
- Uphold compliance with employment and tax regulations.
- Collaborate on budget preparation, analyze financial data, and assist in monitoring budget adherence.
- Contribute insights for accurate reporting.
- Oversee financial transactions tied to university operations, collaborate with units/colleges, and ensure expenditures align with guidelines.
- Contribute to the reporting period closing processes, support the external audits by providing documentation and information as required, and identify opportunities for process enhancements, and recommend best practices for the operations.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications & experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Prior experience in related roles within financial operations will be preferred.
- Proficiency in relevant accounting software.
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Familiarity with financial regulations, laws, budgeting principles, and relevant processes.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel for data analysis.
- Organizational skills and discretion in handling sensitive data.
- Discretion and the ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive financial and employee information.
It is the policy of the American University of Kurdistan to provide an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. The University promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace and makes recruiting decisions exclusively on the basis of qualifications, merit, and current work needs. This policy applies to all hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, remuneration, benefits, and training procedures within our Institution.