Location: Erbil, Kurdistan, Iraq
Duration: 2.5 months full-time (Approximately June 1 – August 13, negotiable), with possibility of part-time extension beyond August.
Free to Run seeks two Interns to work with the Executive Director and Iraq Country Program Manager on developing program activities and projects for the Iraq office, supporting external communications, and administrative tasks. Interns will gain experience in working with a small NGO and contributing directly to the program goals and direction of the program. The Erbil-based intern will work from the Erbil office for the entirety of the internship. They will work closely with the U.S.-based intern, who will work either in Boston or remotely for the first month of the internship, before transitioning to one month working in the Erbil office, and then closing out the internship back in the U.S. For U.S.-based applicants, who will work both in the U.S. and Erbil, please see the “Free to Run Internship- U.S./Iraq” posting.
Free to Run is an international organization that supports women and girls living in areas of conflict through adventure sports to build their physical, emotional, and social well-being; developing them into community leaders so they can bring people together across cultural, ethnic, and religious lines. Free to Run Iraq currently is working with internally displaced person (IDP) camps in Erbil, focusing on women and girls ages 15 – 25. Through our program, we increase opportunities for marginalized women and girls to engage in public life, using sport as a tool for women’s empowerment and education. We focus on the physical, emotional, and social well-being of our participants and develop them into community leaders to be a force for change, challenge the traditional role of women and girls, and bring people together across cultural, ethnic, and religious lines. We believe that the free, full, and equal participation of all women and girls are fundamental freedoms key to resolving conflict and promoting peace. The objectives of Free to Run are to: 1. Create safe spaces for women and girls to engage in public sport and social service activities, 2. Increase leadership and life skills among participants in their own communities and beyond, and 3. Promote concrete measures to widen participation for women and girls in public life.
- Assisting with the implementation of sport activities such as running, hiking, and marathon training.
- Conducting an academic research project, along with an applicable component advancing Free to Run’s program in Iraq.
- Supporting monitoring and evaluation analysis of the program.
- Contributing to social media content, including photos and videos.
- Tracking positive stories and quotes.
- Designing and leading an event or activity in an IDP camp, focusing on exercise for women.
- Working closely with another Intern on tasks and projects.
- Providing general office and administrative support.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Experience working with a small NGO and contributing directly to program goals and activities
- Professional development meetings with external mentors in sports for development/humanitarian field.
- Virtual exchange experience with global Free to Run staff.
- Possibility for part-time internship extension.
Financial Compensation & Support
Free to Run strongly encourages all university or college student applicants to explore funding opportunities from their institutions and will work with Interns to fulfill relevant requirements. If Interns’ universities or colleges do not provide funding for internships, or Interns are not currently university/college students, we will provide a stipend for all reasonable expenses (travel costs, meals, etc.) arising in connection with Intern activities. Accommodation can be provided in Erbil.
- Passion for Free to Run’s mission, including the power of sport, working with women and girls, and youth-led projects.
- Excellent command of spoken and written Arabic.
- Working command of spoken and written English.
- Ability to manage priorities, work independently and collaboratively, and accept constructive feedback.
- Strong intercultural communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with Google Suite and Microsoft Excel.
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
- Based in Kurdistan Region or Iraq (will need to live in Erbil for internship – accommodation can be provided).
- As this position requires close contact with youth and participants, we strongly recommend Interns have their COVID-19 vaccine.
- Knowledge or interest in the region.
- Address Erbil, Kurdistan, Iraq
- How to apply *Please submit a resume/CV and cover letter to [email protected] explaining why you are motivated to become a Free to Run intern and how this relates to your past experience and future goals. *Deadline: May 5, 2021. *Please mention in the subject line, “Free to Run Internship - Iraq.” *Only those applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.