The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is a neutral and independent international humanitarian organization, which assists and protects victims of armed conflicts and other situations of violence. The ICRC is currently looking for staff for its support operations in Iraq.
By joining our organization, you will have an opportunity to practice your profession in stimulating, complex, and sometimes challenging environments, where your work can make a difference.
- You will work with colleagues from various fields of expertise in a cross-cutting manner to help victims of conflict and other situations of violence. You will be dealing with humanitarian situations that require experience, resourcefulness, and innovation to achieve the best possible impact.
- You will work for the oldest major international humanitarian organization in the world, adding to your sense of achievement in alleviating the suffering of people and communities and giving you the chance to promote humanitarian values in these turbulent times
- You will benefit from a competitive employment package, including different possibilities for career and personal development. You will take part in an onboarding course and follow continuous training, to build your career within the ICRC and beyond.
- The competitive compensation package, a monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, end of service indemnity, medical coverage, life insurance, a mobility allowance, and social security scheme).
Job Title: Generalist Field Officer 2
Duty Station: Iraq – Tikrit Office (with frequent trips within Salaheddine and Baghdad)
Reports to: Field Team Leader
Duration of Contract: One-year fixed term contract (with the possibility of renewal to an open-ended contract where performance and competencies are key to be selected for further contractual continuity)
Date of Issue: 27 April 2021
Deadline for applications: 9 May 2021
Generalist Field Officer will contributes to ICRC’s understanding of the context and key actors in Salaheddine governorate; and to defining and implementing the ICRC projects and activities, including protection. The Field Officer represents the ICRC at the local level and is a key actor in ICRC’s networking efforts with the key actors in this area.
- Monitors the humanitarian environment and needs, and analyses the security, socio-economic, cultural and political environment as relevant to the ICRC, and shares relevant information with colleagues (30%):
- Continuously monitors and contributes to the analysis of the political, military and socio-economic environment with an emphasis on the humanitarian needs arising in relation to the conflict in his/her area of responsibility;
- Advises on significant developments in various fields such as humanitarian, politics, economics, security;
- Reports on security incidents using the ICRC reporting tools and procedures.
- Develops and maintains a network with the key stakeholders in Salaheddine governorate, including at the local level and with the communities (30%):
- Represents the ICRC and strengthens its reputation and acceptance in the area of responsibility;
- Together with the Salaheddine field teams, develops and maintains a dialogue and relationship with actors relevant for the ICRC, such as security forces, arms carriers, local authorities, religious authorities, tribal leaders, civil society and community members;
- Together with the Salaheddine field teams, strengthens relationship with Military Operations Commands in his/her AoR, particularly with regards to movement authorizations;
- Leads on troubleshooting at security checkpoints.
- Contributes to designing new projects and to implementing and following up various field activities, including protection (25%):
- Supports assessment missions carried out with the field teams and other departments by introducing them to relevant interlocutors, sharing information and analysis on the specific area and ensuring proper security follow-up;
- Supports the implementation of the assistance and protection programs in his/her AoR, in close cooperation with the concerned departments;
- Participates actively in the selection of beneficiaries, design, planning, carrying out of distributions, monitoring and impact evaluations;
- In close cooperation with the Field Teams, contributes to the analysis of protection issues, the definition of the Protection response to identified needs and ensure the development and follow-up of related Protection activities;
- In collaboration with the Tracing department, conducts several activities in the field of tracing such as distributing and collecting red Cross Messages (RCMs) and Salamat, the distribution of Attestations of Detention (AoD) with/through IRCS, the conduct of Check-Release;
- Contribute, main violations, authorities responsible and circumstances and identifies priorities.
- Participates in, and may carry out independently, administration and logistics support tasks related to the management of ICRC guesthouse / office in Salaheddine, in accordance with the ICRC procedures (15%).
Education and Professional Experience required:
- University degree or equivalent training;
- At least 3 years of experience in the humanitarian sector;
- Fluent level in written and spoken English;
- Computer literate, especially with Microsoft Office;
- Other competencies: excellent communicator with negotiation skills, analytical capability and teamworker.
- How to apply All qualified and interested candidates should forward their applications with a detailed updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating email and phone contacts with a minimum of two professional references, a cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications for the said job opportunity and your salary expectations. Marked to ([email protected]) with the subject line: SURNAME First Name/ Vacancy title. Applications will only be accepted with valid residency and work permits in Iraq. The successful candidate will undergo a three months’ probation period. NB: If you have not heard from us within a month of receiving your application, please consider your application unsuccessful. No Fee: ICRC DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, OR PROCESSING).