Jiyan Foundation for Human Rights is a charitable organization supporting survivors of human rights violations, defending fundamental freedoms, and promoting democratic values. Our programs provide mental health services, medical treatment, and other support services to survivors of trauma, terror, domestic violence, and human rights violations in Iraq and Syria.
We are seeking applications for the Head of Democracy and Civil Society position, which is entrusted with the responsibility of assuming a leadership role in the implementation and management of all initiatives and undertakings falling within the ambit of the Program for Democracy and Civil Society. The primary objective of this program is to foster a resilient and democratic civil society that is committed to upholding the principles of human dignity and the creation of a harmonious and peaceful environment.
In fulfilling this role, the Head of Democracy and Civil Society is expected to provide guidance and direction to all personnel involved in the program, as well as oversee the design and execution of all relevant projects and activities. It is their duty to ensure that all endeavors are aligned with the overarching objective of cultivating an engaged and democratic civil society that is dedicated to protecting the dignity of every human being and promoting a tranquil and stable atmosphere.
To achieve these goals, the Head of Democracy and Civil Society is responsible for developing and implementing strategies that are aimed at fostering greater participation and collaboration within the civil society sector, as well as promoting public awareness and understanding of the importance of democracy, human rights, and peaceful coexistence. They are also accountable for ensuring that all projects and activities undertaken by the program are aligned with the values and principles of good governance and accountability. Ultimately, it is the duty of the Head of Democracy and Civil Society to ensure that the program achieves its objectives and contributes positively towards the strengthening of a just, democratic, and peaceful civil society.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Lead program development and strategy,
- Develops the concepts, procedures, and activities underlying the program following the mission and goals of the organization
- Evaluates, adapt, develop, and expand projects and activities in cooperation with the Director of Strategy, other Heads of Programs, and Coordinators
- Prepares regular progress reports to the Director of Strategy and Programs, Director of Operations, the CEO, and the other Heads of Programs
- Technical supervision of the staff of democracy and civil society
- Critically review and substantively contribute to technical deliverables, including human rights situation analyses, program evaluations, and work plans; review internal reports, success stories, and quarterly and monthly reports, ensuring high quality and strategic direction;
- Develop educational materials, including handouts, manuals, toolboxes, and multimedia resources to support the democracy programs
- Conducts regular field visits to ensure the quality of the activities and reports to the M&E department for better performance.
- Provide surge support to other programs as needed.
- planning, coordination, and implementation of all program activities (training, workshops, events, meetings, etc.)
- Leading the project implementation and tracking project deliverables and activities;
- Review and/or develop scopes of work for grants, contracts, and consultants; advise the team on best funding mechanisms for various activities; work with and provide capacity-building support to the field teams on procurement and grant-making.
- Identify opportunities for programmatic growth and the new project, and contribute to program design and proposal development efforts;
- Writes project proposals and reports to donors in cooperation with Coordinators and project department team
- Supports the project department and the finance department in developing project budgets
- Ensures documentation and evaluation of all project activities under this program
- Tracks expenditures and maintains a budget for projects related to the program.
- Works closely together with the project department
- Supervise the data collection of the program and divide it into different projects with the cooperation of the M&E department and project department.
Networking, Advocacy, and PR
- Represents the Program for Democracy and Civil Society to external stakeholders and participates in expert and partner meetings, conferences, and other external events
- Establishes and maintains contacts with donors and funders
- Establishes and maintains contacts with organizations working in similar areas of expertise for potential collaboration and partnering
- Engages in advocacy activities
- Shares information about program activities with the PR department to ensure proper media coverage (reports, statistics, pictures, videos, statements, interviews, etc.)
- Write and develop press releases in cooperation with the PR department.
- Ensure funder visibility requirement alongside our visibility during the activities.
- Collaborate with human resources staff on the recruitment of expatriate personnel;
- Coordinate closely with HR as needed when onboarding new staff
- Participates in job interviews and annual performance interviews of Coordinators
- Identifies capacity-building needs for program staff and organizes relevant training in cooperation with the Head of Capacity Building
- Prepares and signs employment certificates and references for Coordinators
- Ensures all program staff have the necessary technology, material, and capacities to perform their duties
- Schedules and organizes team meetings maintains agenda, and ensures documentation.
- Ensures implementation of organizational policies and standards within the program and its team
- Develops crisis management plans for the program in line with the organization’s overall risk management planning
Carry out any other relevant duties according to the professional capacities and position in the organization as assigned by the line manager in mutual agreement.
- Excellent Kurdish, Arabic, and English skills (listening, speaking, and writing)
- Completed bachelor’s degree or higher degree.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in international relations, public policy, political science, or a related field. Or a bachelor degree with three years of experience in related position
- At least three years of work experience in this work field;
- Preferably with experience with organizational work and/or international NGO work
- Preferably with experience in setting up and/or developing office structures.
- Advanced familiarity with Microsoft Office tools (especially MS Word and Excel) and email communication;
- Care for detail and organizational skills, also under time pressure;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary and international team, cooperate with other staff members, centers, and external partners;
- Active interest in promoting human rights and social justice; awareness of current events both nationally and internationally.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to prioritise multiple tasks and meet dynamic client deadlines.
- Knowledge and experience in human rights, advocacy, research, politics, governance, and/or international development are desired.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Participation in staff-to-staff training, language training, and seminars with external trainers.
- For self-study, access to a particular library with a large collection of literature on human rights, torture, mental and physical health, etc.
- Paid holidays (24 days for the full-time position) plus 15 statutory holidays. Additional paid holidays, especially on religious festivals, may be agreed upon.
- Voluntary pension scheme with employer contributions.
- Address Sulaymaniyah USD Month
- How to apply Please submit a motivation letter, your curriculum vitae, and references/certificates in one PDF file via: https://form.jotform.com/231234261511442 Please note that applications that do not meet the requirements or are incomplete will not be considered! Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Job Reference www.jiyan.org