Requisition ID: req21045
Job Title: Humanitarian Access and Security Officer – Salah Al din
Sector: Safety & Security
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Salah Al din, Iraq
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a prominent international organization working in relief, rehabilitation, protection, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. Working in coordination with the humanitarian community, the IRC currently addresses the needs of war-affected populations from several operational bases across Iraq. Our activities focus primarily on the supply of vital medications and medical equipment, non-food items, water and sanitation and women and children’s protection, and form part of an over-arching humanitarian response in Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq and the region that seeks to assist refugees, IDPs and war-affected people survive conflict and displacement.
The Humanitarian Access and Security Officer (HASO) responsibility is to monitor the overall security situation, enforce security regulations and provide sound and timely advice to IRC Iraq staff and management in order to support the safe and efficient delivery of program activities in the designated areas of operations. The HASO will advise on and implement the IRC Security Management Plan for Iraq, under the supervision of the Field Manager and technical support from the Humanitarian Access and Security and Coordinator (HASC).
Safety and Security Management Planning
- Provide technical support to the HASC on all policies, procedures, guidelines and planning for staff safety, operational security and program continuity
- Work with HASC to develop, consolidate and implement operating procedures and contingency plans
- Evaluate, review and update the hibernation and evacuation plans for all IRC premises in Salahuddin, and ensure that the practical preparations are in place and known to all staff involved
- Conduct risk assessments of contracted and prospective offices and residences as well as area security assessment.
- Undertake continual assessments of equipment to ensure that minimal conditions for security are being met.
- Conduct safety inspections such as; monthly fire extinguishers, smoke/fire detectors and inspection of IRC facilities as it pertains to health and safety.
- Building Acceptance to empower and expand humanitarian programming, working with program closely and collaboratively
- Uphold the mission, values, and spirit of IRC.
- Follow and enforce all IRC codes of conduct and policies (worldwide and in-country).
- Report any violations to appropriate IRC authority, and participate in preventative initiatives.
- Actively seek opportunities that will complement ability to fulfill position’s responsibilities as well as further professional development, such as taking part in internal and external trainings.
- Perform other duties as requested by the supervisor.
Monitoring, Analysis and Supervision
- Submit daily/weekly contextual updates as needed to the HASC.
- Work closely with IRC teams to ensure all incidents and accidents are followed up with an official written report, which is then shared with relevant stakeholders and filed appropriately.
- Coordinate regularly with the HASC on humanitarian access, safety, and security, and fulfill reporting requirements to the region.
Security Orientation and Training
- Conduct security orientation for new arrivals, visitors, and other stakeholders.
- Provide Training(s) that may include Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs); Contingency Plans (CPs); Security Management; Incident Reporting; Prevention and Response Mechanisms; Communications (Equipment – GPS tracking; protocols), etc.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Field Manager, Kirkuk and Salahuddin
Position directly supervises: Security guards
Indirect Reporting: Humanitarian Access and Security Coordinator
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: operation team, program teams, Field staff
External: security authorities in the area,
- University degree or equivalent, relevant experience.
- 2 years of work experience in safety & security or relevant fields.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team-player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of humor.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Strong information technology and computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Training or experience in crisis and risk management is preferable.
- Training in safety, fire and evacuation procedures is preferable.
- Training in safety and disaster management is preferable
Standards of Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including maternity leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Attention Returning National Candidates:
IRC strives to attract, motivate and retain qualified national staff in our programs. We strongly encourage national or returning national candidates to apply for this position. If you are a national of the country in which this position is based and are currently located outside of your home country and possess over two years of international work experience, IRC has introduced an attractive remuneration package. The package includes competitive compensation, return flight to post, shipping allowance, temporary housing and a relocation allowance. Certain restrictions may apply.
Notice to all Job Seekers
IRC implements an equal employment opportunity policy and our recruitment process is based on merit.
Applicants and/or successful interview candidates (both internal and external) are not required to pay any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
If anyone asks you for any financial or non-financial favors to help you secure a job at IRC, kindly report to [email protected].
ملاحظة لكل الباحثين عن وظيفة
تعتمد لجنة الانقاذ الدولية سياسة فرص عمل متساوية وان عملية التوظيف لدينا تعتمد على الجدارة .
لايتوجب على المتقدمين لاي وظيفة او المؤهلين للمقابلات (سواء كانوا موظفيين حالين او متقدمين من خارج المنظمة) دفع اي مبلغ مالي خلال اي مرحلة من مراحل التوظيف.
اذا قام اي شخص بطلب اي خدمة مالية او غير مالية لقاء مساعدتكم في تأمين فرصة عمل داخل المنظمة ،يرجى الابلاغ عن ذلك الى [email protected]
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.