Under the responsibility of the Head of Program, and in close collaboration with the project teams, the Inclusion Technical Officer contributes to the implementation of Handicap International’s mandate and inclusion strategy in Iraq. They will contribute to the implementation of projects by providing technical inclusion expertise and ensuring that the quality and impact of the project is optimised. In addition to this, they represent the HI Iraq Mission and its inclusion strategy, approach and activities to external actors. This position requires high mobility with around 50 % of the time spent in the field.
Based in Erbil or Baghdad, with frequent travel to other areas of operations, the Inclusion Technical Officer will have the following responsibilities:
TRAINING, CAPACITY BUILDING AND INCLUSION MAINSTREAMING
- Identify the inclusion training needs, gaps and priorities of HI staff, partners and stakeholders in order to mainstream inclusion
- Develop, facilitate and implement training, awareness sessions and guidelines on inclusion, international and national legal disability frameworks and advocacy to HI staff, partners and stakeholders.
- Build capacity of field inclusion officers by developing and delivering Training-of-Trainer training.
MONITORING AND REPORTING
- Ensure field teams are carrying out their inclusion activities following HI standards through regular on the job training and monitoring.
- Support the field teams to correctly complete all the required reporting related to inclusion (statistics, field activity reports, etc.).
- Prepare donor reports, internal reports and updates as required.
CONSULTATION, ANALYSIS, AND PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT
- Facilitate and organize participatory and accessible consultations with persons with disabilities, disability stakeholders and mainstream actors (governmental and non-governmental) to better understand and analyze the physical, attitudinal and communication barriers affecting persons with disabilities.
- Identify and propose the development of new activities answering to identified gaps and needs.
- Provide inclusion technical guidance to the development of proposals, related to inclusion.
COMMUNICATION, ADVOCACY AND STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT
- Develop targeted Information Education and Communication materials related to inclusion.
- Support the project and communication teams in designing and implementation appropriate advocacy campaign to raise knowledge and awareness on the rights to access for persons with disabilities targeting duty bearers, service providers and community members.
- Support partners on the design of advocacy strategies and country engagement plans.
- Manage mapping of, and engagement with, key stakeholders, including government actors, public sector, and civil society, including Organisations for Persons with Disabilities
- Engage with stakeholders on priority advocacy issues, through regular meetings, workshops and roundtables
Note that this job description must remain flexible, to respond to additional tasks or changes as identified by the line manager.
Base: Erbil or Baghdad with frequent movement to the field (Anbar, Erbil/Baghdad, Kirkuk, Ninewa)
Line management: Head of Program
Collaboration with: Technical Unit, Project teams, MEAL department, and HQ technical specialists
- University degree in Social Sciences, Education, International Development, Human Rights or other relevant fields required
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience in the field of disability, gender, protection or human rights
- Previous experience with international or local NGOs (including Organizations for Persons with Disabilities)
- Proven understanding of barriers and challenges for persons with disabilities
- Experience in the delivery of training, preferably related to social inclusion or disability
- Experience in developing and implementing advocacy strategies
- Previous experience working with HI or with persons with disabilities
- Experience in engaging with government officials, institutions and/or civil society
- Experience and awareness of international and national disability frameworks
Skills & Abilities
- Fluent in Arabic, excellent written and spoken English mandatory
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to deliver training and coaching
- Reliable to handle confidential and sensitive information
- High capacity to organize his/her work, and manage priorities
- Can work independently and take initiative when needed
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards
- High level of autonomy and initiative
- Good command on Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong interest in disability issues
- Creative, enthusiastic and positive attitude
- Reactive and flexible
Handicap International strongly encourages applications from persons with disabilities for all positions. If you have any support or access requirements, we highly encourage you to let us know through your application or before submission
The working hours are the following:
Sunday till Thursday, from 8.00 AM to 4:30 PM with 1/2 hour lunch break. The work duration is fixed but the working hours can vary according to the planning of activities.
It can be exceptionally requested to work on Friday or Saturday. In that case a day off is planned before the end of the month.
Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager. In that case the overtime will be considered as recovery time to be planned by the line manager before the end of the month.
‘’The Employee undertakes to adhere to HI policies which include:
- Terms and conditions of engagement (T&C)
- Internal regulation (IR)
- Child protection policy (CPP)
- Protection of beneficiaries from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment (PSEAH)
- Antifraud and bribery
- Code of Conduct (CoC)
- How to apply Handicap International is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from females and persons with disabilities Interested candidates may please send their CV with cover letter so as to reach on or before 13th May 2023 Only applications completed in accordance with the following instructions will be Taken into consideration, the others will be rejected automatically. Mentioning clearly in the subject line of your e-mail the reference: Ref: HI-IRQ-ERB- INCLOFF2-701 Your application will not be taken into consideration if this information is omitted from the Subject line of your e-mail Please address all applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted CVs that are sent as photo, screen shot or by link will not be considered.
- Job Reference Ref: HI-IRQ-ERB- INCLOFF2-701