All INTERSOS employees are expected to perform their roles and responsibilities according to the INTERSOS charter of values, code of ethics, PSEA and Child Protection policies. The job description is mandatory for all positions within INTERSOS and shall be signed by the employee within the first week of employment.
Purpose/objective of the position:
The Interpreter will support the registration and protection activities, particulary interviews conducted with refugees and asylum-seekers. S/he provides interpretation services, inclduing translation of documents from English, Kurdish, and/or Arabic to Turkish and/or Persian. S/he coordinates with UNHCR protection and registration teams to provide interpretation serivces when needed.
- Support the Protection team (Protection Monitors and Legal team) in the interpretation of individual registration and/or protection counselling interviews in the Protection and Reintegration Center or in field as required.
- Accompany INTERSOS’s staff and UNHCR if needed during mobile registration missions and/or detention visits where interpretation support is needed for registration and protection counseling interviews.
- Interpret at meetings or events organized or facilitated by UNHCR or INTERSOS, especially when meeting with relevant communities, i.e. Iranian and Turkish persons of concern. Support in contacting/ outreaching refugee and asylum-seekers either by email and/or telephone to arrange appointments for registration interviews or protection interviews.
- Attend conferences and meetings, when required, and act as official interpreters to mediate discussion.
- Provide written translation of Turkish and Persian documents and materials into English and vice versa when required by the protection teams (Legal and Protection Monitoring teams).
- Accompany the Legal team to court for translation purposes when needed.
- Translate communication messages to Turkish and Persian, when required.
- Perform any other interpretation tasks as requested.
Education and professional experience:
- Bachelor or Diploma Degree or any relevant certification proving proficiency in the following Languages (Turkish, Persian as well as English, Arabic, Kurdish).
- At least one year of relevant professional experience in the protection sector and humanitarian response;
- Previous working experience with IDPs, refugees and returnees;
- Strong knowledge of international protection in the humanitarian context.
Competencies: (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Willingness to work in all areas of Erbil Governorate.
- Respect and non-discriminatory attitude
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong data collection and reporting skills
- Ability to show empathy
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team
- Verbal and written Fluency in Kurdish, English, and Turkish or Persian language is a must. Arabic is considered as asset.
- Very good knowledge of MS Office and office equipment
- Ability to handle confidential matters, meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, and drive for results;
- Respect the protection principles especially confidentiality of the individual cases.
- Address Erbil camps and urban areas
- Salary Offer will be discussed in a later stage USD will be discussed in a later stage Month
- How to apply INTERSOS is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right for everyone to apply to its vacancies without any discrimination. For those interested and who meet the required criteria, please apply below. Kindly note that: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Your resume must be uploaded in PDF format. INTERSOS is reviewing applications on a rolling basis, and we reserve the right to close the vacancy before the mentioned closing date. The preference will be given to qualified candidates from the recruitment area.