Médecins Sans Frontières / Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization providing assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, and to victims of armed conflicts, irrespective of race, religion, creed, or political convictions. MSF observes neutrality and impartiality in the name of universal medical ethics and the right to humanitarian assistance and claims full and unhindered freedom in the exercise of its functions.
MSF – Belgium is recruiting
Planning, organizing, and carrying out microbiology laboratory activities, as well as supervising laboratory staff in accordance with MSF rules, security measures, and hygiene requirements, in order to support the MSF medical team in disease diagnosis. Has full-time responsibility for performing microbiology diagnostic laboratory tests, including sample reception, sample validation, sample processing, culture growth monitoring, communication of intermediate results, identification, antibiogram, and final results communication to medical staff. The microbiology lab Supervisor works closely with other departments (hematology and biochemistry), antibiotic stewardship, the head nurse, and the infection control nurse. He or she works on any projects that require laboratory analysis.
Participating in the project planning and follow-up and reviewing the laboratory budget when necessary in order to support MSF’s medical activities.
• Ensuring the compliance of MSF hygiene and safety protocols, both individually and collectively as well as informing staff of existing biological risks.
• Performing laboratory tests and carrying out sample collection (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, parasitology …) in accordance with prescriptions as well as ensuring that quality control tests are carried out regularly. Informing the doctor of the results of the tests and keeping a record of the analysis with data from patients.
• Ensuring proper management (cleaning, maintenance, arranging) of all laboratory equipment and the adequate supply of needed equipment and material in order to prevent stock-outs. This includes being responsible for all required automatic instrument calibration, ensuring that no material is taken out of laboratories without prior authorization and carrying out a proper storage system and conditions, inventory, etc. In cooperation with logistics department, ensuring that cold chain is properly maintained in Laboratory areas for both, samples and reagents.
• In the absence of a Laboratory Manager, ensuring proper registration and needs of all lab related activities and implementing a correct use of the associated management tool (EpyTryp. Etc.) in order to have a proper recording of laboratory activities. Preparing and sending slides/samples for external quality control.
• Supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, coaching, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
• Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
• Producing regular reports on the testing and on any issues / problems related to laboratory personnel and / or the material used.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities:
Follow up receiveing samples properly by checking for the correct information, recording the time and date and who received the sample. Clear the registration of samples in the study Logbook and give it an ID.
• Follow up with bacteriogy activites samples, culture, identifecation and sensistivties testing.
• Prepare temperature log sheet for refrigerator, freezer and incubators for daily temperature recording, to ensure a safe temperature and that items remain in the proper condition.
• Prepare the bench sheet and process samples with the correct SOPs.
• Provide reports, storing samples before processing or after processing based on the type of samples and analysis required.
• Provide a daily report and ensure intermediated results of culture are send to clinician
• Perform QC in all stages: pre analytical, analytical, and post analytical.
• Perform and record QC daily on basic tests, and weekly or monthly based on the system.
• prepare aliquot for isolates and QC strains and store as backup in case of need or control.
• Data management and WHONET data follow up and cleaning.
• Participates in the development and implementation of new diagnostic tests if needed
• Refers based on SOP the samples if tests are not available in the laboratory
• Respects Good Laboratory Practices described in the quality assurance program
• Performs its tasks in accordance Biosecurity andhygiene standards Respects the separation of infectious and non-infectious waste as described in the SOP
• Participates to the update of SOP in case of modification
• Ensures the proper storage conditions of the reagents
• Ensures the efficient and proper use of equipment, consumables and equipments available
• Laboratory stock management Follows the laboratory stock and performs the weekly inventory of laboratory items
• Performs the weekly/monthly order of laboratory items with the pharmacy
• Ensures the proper use of consumables and reagents Statistics and analysis
• Perform data analysis of monthly laboratory statistical reports and his communications to related services Cooperate with medical coordinator and MSF referents for the preparation of activity reports
• Participate to the exchange of information with the infection control committee, the medical director and the quality manager Laboratory training
• Participates to the Conduction of training sessions to ensure a proper use of bacteriology tests and results by the medical staff
Essential: BSc degree in Laboratory Science, Science microbiology, or Laboratory Technology
Desirable: Master’s Degree in Microbiology science or Laboratory science
– Essential 5 years’ experience in a bacteriology laboratory Tech, preferably as a Lab Supervisor.
– Desirable in MSF or another NGO, desirable in a clinical microbiology laboratory.
Excellent command of English
Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- How to apply If you are confident about your qualifications meeting the requirements, please send your cv’s to [email protected] and mention the job title in the subject line “LABORATORY SUPERVISOR” or drop your application in closed envelope and mention the job title on it “LABORATORY SUPERVISOR” in the CV box at the MSF OCB Office in East Mosul. The deadline for applications: 27th December 2023
- Job Reference LABORATORY SUPERVISOR