EXTERNAL / INTERNAL
VACANCY: Language Specialist 1
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is a neutral and independent international humanitarian organisation, which assists and protects victims of armed conflicts and other situations of violence. The ICRC is currently looking for staff for its support operations in Iraq.
• By joining our organization, you will have an opportunity to practise your profession in stimulating, complex and sometimes challenging environments, where your work can really make a difference.
• You will work with colleagues from various fields of expertise in a cross-cutting manner to help victims of conflict and other situations of violence. You will be dealing with humanitarian situations that require experience, resourcefulness and innovation to achieve the best possible impact.
• You will work for the oldest major international humanitarian organization in the world, adding to your sense of achievement in alleviating the suffering of people and communities and giving you the chance to promote humanitarian values in these turbulent times.
• You will benefit from a competitive employment package, including different possibilities for career and personal development. You will take part in an onboarding course and follow continuous training, to build your career within the ICRC and beyond.
• Competitive compensation package, a monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, international retirement savings plan, Final Gratuity, medical coverage, life insurance, and mobility allowance).
Job Title: Language Specialist 1
Duty Station: Iraq – Erbil Sub Delegation
Reports to: Communication Officer 3
Duration of Contract: One-year fixed term contract (with the possibility of renewal to an open-ended contract where performance and competencies are key to be selected for further contractual continuity)
Date of Issue: 19 February 2023
Deadline for applications: 04 March 2023
The Language Specialist helps the ICRC communicate clearly and consistently by providing translation services from one or more languages into their mother tongue and/or editing services in their mother tongue.
• Translates a wide range of texts between Kurdish/Arabic and English, ensuring appropriate terminology and high quality overall.
• Ensures that documents are translated in accordance with the standards of the ICRC.
• Edits documents (letters, reports) both in Kurdish and English.
• Summarises external documents (e.g., news articles) and translates the summary.
• Maintains a database of key terminologies and ICRC-related concepts in Kurdish and English.
• Collaborates with external translators when volumes require extra resources, completes the financial and logistic procedures for the external contracts.
• Makes sure that external translators receive only permitted documents; checks the quality of the translation from external translators.
• Manages multiple deadlines to deliver translations on time.
• When needed, assists in delegation-related interpretation activities (seminars, workshops, official meetings with interlocutors).
• Participates in and contributes to various projects (publications, productions) and the organization of events, such as conferences, seminars and workshops.
• Ensures strong coordination and cooperation with the communication officer of Sub delegation to streamline internal and external communication according to the plan of action.
• Advises on sensitivities regarding the use of national languages in the sub-delegation.
• When needed and per possibilities, supports with the translation of ICRC communication publications.
Education and Professional Experience required:
• University degree in translation or professional language skills from a recognized academic institution or equivalent.
• 1-3 years’ experience in translation or editing (preferably in an international organization setting).
• Fluency (mother tongue) in Kurdish.
• Excellent English and Arabic language skills (reading/writing/spoken).
• Basic knowledge of legal, financial, and technical terms.
• Basic knowledge of international law or humanitarian action.
• Proficiency in Office applications, including word, excel, and power point.
• Good time management: ability to manage multiple priorities.
• Ability to demonstrate attention to detail.
• Ability to apply absolute discretion in all communications.
ICRC DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW
MEETING, OR PROCESSING).
- How to apply How to Apply: All qualified and interested candidates should forward their applications with a detailed updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating email and phone contacts with a minimum of two professional references, a cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications for the said job opportunity and your salary expectations. Clearly marked to [email protected] with subject line: SURNAME First Name/ Vacancy tittle. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Applications will only be accepted with valid residency and work permit in Iraq. The successful candidate will undergo a three months’ probation period. NB: If you have not heard from us by a Month of receiving your application, please consider your application unsuccessful.