Transform the lives of the most marginalized and vulnerable communities and be at the forefront of social change.
About You: A motivated mid-career professional lawyer looking to work alongside an inspiring, dynamic team of leading human rights workers. The candidate will have exceptional communication and project coordination skills and embrace a collaborative, team approach to the work they do. This person has experience living and working in challenging operating environments and is eager to apply that experience working on innovative human rights projects that support juveniles in conflict with the law.
About Heartland Alliance International: Heartland Alliance International’s (HAI) mission is to secure the rights and well-being of marginalized people and communities. HAI envisions a world in which those whose rights have been violated are safe and empowered to actively engage in their communities and be at the forefront of social change.
The Project: Justice for Children and Young People: Promoting diversion, legal, psychosocial and protection of children in contact with the law in Kirkuk is a one-year project funded by UNICEF. This project seeks to ensure that children and young people benefit from a functional and child-friendly system of justice that protects them and their rights and a comprehensive community-based reintegration program that promotes safe and sustainable reintegration through comprehensive social development and economic strengthening services. Project activities will be implemented in Kirkuk governorates. The project consists of three interrelated and mutually-reinforcing objectives: (1) Juveniles in conflict with the law across the 12 police stations in Kirkuk and those detained in the Kirkuk detention center have access to comprehensive protection and legal services and have their rights protected in line with international standards during pre and post trial period; (2) Iraqi juvenile justice actors and key stakeholders have increased capacity and coordination to ensure provision of quality child friendly services and to promote the best interests of the child; (3) Promote diversion and alternatives to detention (ATD) for children in conflict with the law.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The project legal coordinator will be based in Kirkuk. The project legal coordinator will be responsible for coordinating and overseeing the legal components of the project, and ensuring that all legal project services and activities will be implemented in line with the project work plan and in accordance with HAI and the donor’s standards and requirements. The project lawyer will be responsible for legal reporting and oversight, including working closely with implementing partners to ensure successful legal services, and will work closely with the HAI senior management team who will provide technical oversight and guidance.
Project Technical Support:
-Project implementation, oversight and development
- Lead the legal team and provide legal consultation and representation, for child protection cases.
- Support the centers/legal clinics to improve awareness of rights and available services.
- Support planning, organizing and preparing legal awareness sessions.
- Collaborate closely with the project manager to monitor case load and provide accurate reporting.
- Continually assess and evaluate project implementation of legal services targets and components against project work plan, in collaboration with project team; take appropriate steps to ensure project is on track in meeting deliverables and spending.
- Support project multi-disciplinary team in providing practical solutions to complex legal cases.
- Support completion and writing of monthly, quarterly and annual project reports, ensuring timely and high quality reporting.
– Communication and monitoring and evaluation
- Collaborate closely with project team to continuously assess status of legal services/components’ implementation against project work plan and target and implement appropriate steps to ensure project is on track in meeting deliverables.
- Working directly on providing legal services for the vulnerable target in the project and ensure that the legal M&E process are managed in accordance with HAI and donors standards.
- Foster effective communication and teamwork with the multi-disciplinary project team
- Represent HAI to NGO partners, government officials, funding sources, other partners, beneficiaries, and at conferences, meetings and other outreach opportunities
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation activities and reporting meet HAI’s standards, and are completed on schedule
- Support HAI’s legal team in participating and conducting internal legal audits as specified in HAI’s case audit guidelines.
- Other duties related to the objectives of this project, as assigned by the project manager
- A bachelor degree in law, plus minimum 5 years of relevant experience in access to justice programming.
- Qualified as a lawyer which requires to be a member of the Iraqi or Kurdistan Bar Association
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of IDP/refugee context.
- Proven ability to calmly, professionally, and successfully manage multiple priorities
- Experience working with NGOs, the UN, or U.S.-government agencies and understanding of the unique, complex operating environment in the Middle East.
- Knowledge and understanding of Monitoring and Evaluation concepts
- Experience with Windows platform, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Excellent negotiation and relationship management skills, with the ability to proactively problem solve and find solutions
- Ability to reach all governmental institutions related to project target.
- Demonstrates initiative and is comfortable working in a group, as well as independently
- Ability to reside in Mosul and travel within the KRI and Iraq.
- Ability to provide clear direction and management for remote partners.
- Required – Fluent in Arabic and/or Kurdish, with basic reading, writing and speaking in English.
Personal Competencies: Collaborative spirit and ability to work independently as well as in a team; commitment to knowledge sharing and teamwork; positive attitude and ability to see through challenges to find solutions; and strong interpersonal skills and an ability to clearly communicate, including complex concepts into layperson language.
Resilience: This project will address sensitive issues. Interested applicants should have a strong commitment to addressing the issues with cultural sensitivity, respect, and confidentiality. Candidates should be flexible, have a sense of humor and patience.
- Address kirkuk
- How to apply To Apply: Please send cover letter (1 page maximum) explaining your interest and how your experience meets the qualifications required and a CV, to the below link. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear back from us within 4 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.