All INTERSOS employees are expected to perform their roles and responsibilities according to the INTERSOS charter of values, code of ethics, PSEA and Child Protection policies. The job description is mandatory for all positions within INTERSOS and shall be signed by the employee within the first week of employment.
Purpose/objective of the position:
Main legal issues to be covered include:
- Family law;
- Gender-based violence and child protection;
- Legal identity including obtaining civil documentation necessary to access rights and services (birth registration, marriage registration, etc.)
- Citizenship and statelessness issues related to displacement.
- Supervise and coach a team of lawyers, ensuring they deliver quality legal services in a timely manner and in accordance with Legal SOPs;
- Support the Legal Officer in undertaking regular monitoring & evaluation of project activities, and contribute to monthly progress reports on activities, highlighting any technical or operational successes;
- Assess on an individual bases the need for provision of financial assistance to vulnerable beneficiaries to cover administrative or legal fees, or transportation allowance to attend administrative or court proceedings
- Conduct basic intake interviews with beneficiaries in order to assess legal and urgent protection needs (as needed);
- Provide legal information to clients on the main legal issues encountered;
- Plan and facilitate awareness sessions for the community of concern on different legal topics;
- Be involved in the office organization of awareness sessions on any topic to be decided according to need, in close coordination with the Legal Officer;
- Attend meetings and workshops as requested by the Legal Officer;
- Respect deadlines for delivering of weekly, monthly and ad-hoc reports on legal activities and statistics;
- Under supervision of the Legal Officer, update and monitor the legal and referral databases weekly to ensure the quality of the information included;
- Contribute to the drafting of internal/external reports according to INTERSOS and donor requirements ensuring quality and timely submission;
- Collect and deliver all required invoices that relate to legal fees;
- Carry out all tasks respecting key protection principles including but not limited to: PSEA, do no harm, non-discrimination, confidentiality and accountability and need-to-know principles,
- Daily field visits and support to legal teams in terms of planning and implementing the legal activities;
- Conduct visits to the courts and local authorities in order to facilitate and coordinate the legal activities;
- Collect and deliver all required papers that relate to HR;
- Other duties as assigned by the Legal Officer.
(Can be adapted to the particularities of the job location and the requirement of the specific project, but should be approved by the Protection Coordinator before advertising the vacancy).
Education and professional experience:
- Bachelor degree in Law and member of Iraq or KRI Lawyers Syndicate;
- Hold a valid bar association ID B or C;
- Minimum Four years of relevant professional experience or master degree with three years’ experience.
- Previous working experience with IDPs, refugees and returnees;
- Prior experience working with government authorities is a plus;
- Excellent knowledge of the Iraqi legal system and legal procedures;
- Strong knowledge of international protection and human rights legal standards;
- Experience in Supervision and / or Coaching is preferred.
Competencies: (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- High confidentiality, respect and a non-discriminatory attitude
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and report writing skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team
- Fluency in Arabic and Kurdish (written and spoken)
- High intermediate level of English (written and spoken)
- Address Erbil
- Salary Offer will be discussed in a later stage USD will be discussed in a later stage Month
- How to apply INTERSOS is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right for everyone to apply to its vacancies without any discrimination. For those interested and who meet the required criteria, please apply below. Kindly note that: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Your resume must be uploaded in PDF format. INTERSOS is reviewing applications on a rolling basis, and we reserve the right to close the vacancy before the mentioned closing date. The preference will be given to qualified candidates from the recruitment area