“UNDP’s mission as part of the UN system is to achieve sustainable development and fight poverty wherever it is greatest. This requires the very best of us, world-class collaboration, innovative thinking, resilient-based strategies, and continuous learning. UNDP’s competitive advantage as a development partner of choice comes from having the trust of developing countries, owing to our impartial character, transparency, and longstanding presence and commitment to the poorest and most vulnerable. We offer opportunities to make a lasting difference to the more than 170 countries where we commit our support and expertise.
Unit ToR: UNDP support’s the Government’s vision for a sustainable, peaceful Iraq through an approach that strengthens societal resilience to better deal with social, economic, environmental, and political shocks and stresses.
Guided by the Country Programme Document (CPD) 2020-2024, UNDP supports four interlinked, inclusive and holistic development pathways. Underpinned by a resilience-based strategy that addresses the needs of the most vulnerable communities, the four pathways in the CPD are as follows:
1. Strengthened stabilization; 2. Diversified pro-poor economic growth for sustainable livelihoods; 3. Improved governance with accountable institutions that protect the rights of vulnerable groups and pave the way for citizen-state trust; and 4. Decreased fragility to climate change.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of the Programme Management Support UNIT (PMSU), and in close coordination with the Deputy Team Leader/Programme Management Specialist, the M&E Analyst provides support in execution of services in the PMSU, supports the design, planning and management of the programme and projects by managing data and facilitating programme implementation. The Programme National Analyst promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The National M&E Analyst supports the staff of the Programme and Projects through working in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the CO and UNDP Regional Bureaus and HQ staff for resolving complex programme-related issues and information delivery.
The M&E Analyst is responsible for oversight, capacity building, and knowledge management to strengthen risk management and Social and Environmental Screening across the Country Office portfolio. The M&E Analyst will not be responsible for the preparation and execution of SES instruments at project level but rather quality assure project-level safeguards instruments prepared by the project teams, and monitor, advise, and oversee the project teams in this area in executing the relevant safeguard management measures.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall CO pillar’s efficiency in programme and success in implementation of programme strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in programme and success in implementation of programme strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Administration, implementation of programme strategies and adapts processes and procedures.
- Support to management of the CO programme on M&E and QA perspective basis.
- Programme and Project Implementation and Resource Mobilization Support throughout project lifespan as per UNDP quality standards.
- Performance Indicators for evaluation of results.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
- Ensures administration and implementation of programme strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support CO programme and project managers in designing the results-based management, monitoring and evaluation frameworks and plans in line with UNDP Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP) with appropriate tracking tools. Help in ensuring the application of UNDP social and environmental safeguards as applicable.
- Serve as the UNDP Country Office focal point for the provision of overall technical and policy advisory support on monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and results-based management (RBM) requirements and activities to CO programme and project managers, UNDP CO staff concerned with monitoring and evaluation, and consultants and/or members of evaluation teams.
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for preparation of the Common Country Strategy, the Country Programme Document, the Country Programme Action Plan, effective application of Results Based management tools and establishment of management targets (BSC). Establishment of the mechanisms to track use of RBM tools and maintenance of RBM database.
- In consultation with programme manager and team develop a M&E framework and plans, define project indicators, prepare tools, and collect and review monitoring data.
- Support monitoring data quality tracking the progress of activities and identifying opportunities for staff and Implementing Partners capacity building opportunities.
- Establish and maintain constant communication with the Programmes/ Projects highlighting successful progress, obstacles, performance and needs of all programmes/progress to be adapted in future to achieve better outcomes and results.
- Support the CO on effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results.
- Presentation of information/ reports for identification of areas for support and interventions.
- Support Programme/ projects on Quality Assurance tasks through conducting regular monitoring Assessments within the assigned ME plan to overseeing progress made towards intended results for the purpose of identifying weaknesses to be addressed.
- Ensure gender equality, disability inclusion, and Leave No One Behind (LNOB) principles are an integral part of UNDP programmes and operations and that these considerations are fully mainstreamed into programming and reflected in programme/project design, monitoring, reporting and evaluations in line with the UNDP Gender Equality and Disability Inclusion Strategies, UNSDG Operational Guide for Country Teams on LNOB, and available regional guidance
- Provides effective support to management of the CO Programme and Projects focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for formulation of country programme, and support of preparation of project documents’ drafts, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements as per the M&E compliance requirement.
- Design and implement data collection and reporting protocols linked to Programme and project outcome/outputs indicators to support routine progress reporting.
- Adopting and integrating of data collection tools for training pilots, training needs assessment, and training follow-up and evaluation.
- Record report and analyze data against indicators listed in the logical framework against indicators and Annual Work Plan.
- Synthesize data and provision of summary reports by program based on the ME results and impacts.
- Follow up on performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones, preparation of reports.
- Analysis of the situation in programme, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions.
- Preparation and conduct of audit of Direct Implementation Modality (DIM) projects, implementation of audit recommendations.
- Analyze requirements and synthesize proposals for the planning, preparation, and management of specific thematic, country programme/project evaluations and other types of evaluations. Draft and revise Terms of Reference (TOR) for specific project/thematic/sectoral monitoring and evaluation missions and/or desk evaluations/reviews. Participate in consultant and evaluation team selection and provide technical feedback on evaluation inception reports and draft evaluations and budget oversight. Draft and review management responses to the evaluations.
- Provides Implementation and Support throughout Programme/Project lifespan as per UNDP quality standards:
- Review and quality assured all new project proposals in terms of compliance with both UNDP criteria and processes, as well as Donor’s requirements and national counterparts’ engagement needs and partnerships.
- Interpret outputs/outcomes of implementation through data or other evidenced-based sources and provide program recommendations as needed.
- Track and reporting on mobilized resources, review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in Quantum, and measure progress per its designated annual work plans.
- Assist in the management of field monitoring, evaluation design, statistical analysis, environmental compliance, and management of information systems.
- Support Programme and Projects on maintaining an updated information on project outputs, indicators (baseline and targets), progress on activities, output, risk, and issues logs in Quantum.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and annual reports, in adherence to and compliance with project Annual Work Plans (AWP) and M&E frameworks.
- Organize learning, training, and capacity building activities on monitoring and evaluation, RBM, data collection and survey methods, gender mainstreaming and portfolio approach for CO staff and programme and project teams. In close collaboration with relevant teams in the BRH and HQ, contribute to development and delivery of training packages to strengthen CO partners’ capacities in programme and project monitoring and oversight.
- Performance Indicators for evaluation of results
- Assuring on multi-year and Annual M&E Plans of the CO Programme/Projects are fully and timely implemented in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- Tracking delivery of reporting to donors and internal stakeholders performed according to the best UNDP results-based standards and accepted practices.
- Contribution to annual Results-Oriented Annual Reporting (ROAR), Quantum, Transparency Dashboard is provided in quality and timely manner. Inputs demonstrate the achieved results and are based on external and internal evidence.
- Support M&E activities and products planning, implementation, and dissemination in quality and timely manner, based on the programme needs and requests from donors and partners.
- Relevant Programme data, best practices, lessons learned are regularly collected, updated and are available for development and programming goals.
- Conduct M&E need identification survey among project staff and identify M&E capacity gaps.
|LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.|
|LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.|
|LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.|
|Adapt with Agility
|LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.|
|Act with Determination||LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.|
|Engage and Partner
|LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.|
|Enable Diversity and Inclusion
|LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.|
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies (insert up to 7 competencies)
|Business Management||Project Management||
|Programme and Policy||Effectiveness||
|Business Direction and Strategy||Strategic Thinking||
|Programme and Policy||Effectiveness||
|Business Direction & Strategy||Business Acumen||
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in Development/Development Studies, Economics, Statistics, Business Administration/Management, Public Administration, Social Policy/Sciences, International Relations, or related field is required; or
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with master’s degree) or 4 years (with bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible administrative specifically in M&E, Quality Assurance and/or programme experience at the national or international levels.
- Demonstrated expertise in the development and quality assurance of safeguards instruments.
- Prior experience with the UN system or international NGOs is desirable.
- Relevant experience at the national or international level in monitoring and evaluation, including hands-on experience in post-conflict settings will be an asset.
- Fluency in English with effective writing skills required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.