Parker Wellbore helps energy companies accomplish their drilling and production goals efficiently, reliably, and safely. Our global team supports oil and gas operators with innovative land and offshore drilling services, premium rental tools and well services, and advanced operations and management support. Founded in 1934, Parker Wellbore helps customers manage their costs and mitigate their risks, to achieve their operational goals in a safe and efficient manner. With experience in both harsh-environment regions and complex drilling situations, you can trust Parker Wellbore to get the job done.
The Senior Mechanic preforms all tasks and duties of a mechanical discipline including but not limited to, installing and maintaining engines, hydraulic motors, pumps, compressors, and miscellaneous mechanical devices. The position is responsible for all mechanical drilling equipment pertaining to the drilling of the well, including circulating, rotating, hoisting or well control systems.
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standards.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company policies, standards, and procedures.
- Support the HSE objective of no injuries, accidents or harm to the environment as it relates to all mechanical processes, procedures, and policies.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Delegate work effectively with a clear definition of requirements and expectations.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of those working under direct supervision.
- Comply with emergency response plan or Work Safe Procedures during emergencies and/ or drills.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Ensure Authorized To Operate (ATO) and Approved Competent Operator (ACO) are applied and followed.
- Understand LO/TO and Permit to Work procedures.
- Maintain and repair mechanical equipment and devices.
- Repair or replace defective or worn parts.
- Lubricate and service mechanical equipment as specified on lubrication schedule.
- Perform inspections of mechanical equipment as required.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on mechanical equipment.
- Maintain a preventative maintenance schedule for all mechanical equipment.
- Adjust or regulate functional parts of machinery, devices, and control instruments.
- Troubleshoot and analyze mechanical malfunctions and failures.
- Read and analyze mechanical drawings, schematics and equipment manuals.
- Create Job requests and work orders as required and enter into maintenance tracking system.
- Coordinate with Rig Manager/Maintenance Superintendent on the maintenance, repair and refurbishment of equipment.
- Foresee potential equipment malfunctions or failures and preforms required repairs, adjustments or modification to resolve the problem.
- Respond to emergencies as requested and coordinate onsite activities to utilize resources to facilitate repairs in the most expedient and cost effective manner.
- Ensure an adequate amount of spare parts are on hand at all times.
- Submit requisitions to Rig Manager for approval.
- Maintain records of all mechanical inventories and place orders as required within budgetary limits.
- Set up and operate lathe, drill press, grinder and other metalworking tools to facilitate any necessary repairs.
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed.
Necessary qualifications, skills and abilities
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various rig equipment.
- Must possess and maintain certifications and licenses necessary as required by the appropriate regulatory authorities.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in basic rigger’s role to ensure safe lifting operations are performed.
- Knowledgeable of mechanical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Must possess mathematical skills required for certification as a mechanic.
- Must have proficient knowledge of diagnostic equipment.
- Must be a self-motivator and work without close supervision.
- Must be able to prioritize jobs and work under tight time constraints.
- Can demonstrate knowledge and fundamentals of the following equipment: o Hoisting equipment o Pipe handling equipment o Rotating equipment o Circulating equipment o Hydraulic equipment o Diesel engine/air compressors
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, good common sense and have the ability to follow directions.
- Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of him/her or others.
- Must be able to recognize hazards, alarms, warnings and the ability to convey these to the proper personnel.
- Should have good verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate in with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Education, experience, and certifications: o High School diploma is required. o Must be able to obtain appropriate offshore or, onshore certifications o Should have at least 5 years of work experience as a mechanic, oil and gas industry preferred
- Initiating & Driving Change
- Result Focused
- Team Work
- Customer Focus
Physical demands and work environment
- Ability to walk on uneven ground (gravel, rocks, mounds, ice)
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and/or ramps while carrying tools requiring a reasonable degree of physical stamina and agility and involving moderate to severe physical exertion
- Ability to comprehend, remember, and follow verbal and written directions and comply with Company policies, procedures and standard.