Role: Metering Engineer
Department/Function: Embedded Operations Support Team
Duration: 12 months renewable
Supervision responsibility: Management of Specialist 3rd Party Contractors
Rotation: 28/28 Normal Rotation, possible 42/42 rotation depending on isolation requirements
The Operations Support Metering Engineer will be embedded in and report to the Area leadership team for tactical measurement/metering support across a broad spectrum of new and ageing metering facilities. Acting as a central engineering team representative with the accountability of maintaining discipline regarding Metering standards, codes, policies and practices within the specialism.
The Operations support Metering engineer will be tasked with ownership of Metering System assurance. The incumbent shall manage area MoC’s, be a focal point for equipment troubleshooting, support development work, own technical bid evaluations for the area as well as support the maintenance and operation team with ensuring appropriate levels of critical spares are available to maintain safe reliable operation. In addition, the role will be a mentor and coach to the local national Metering Specialists in the areas of safety, reliability and efficient execution of work.
• Promote a culture of safety and continuous improvement
• Champion the nationalisation program by identifying & mentoring Iraqi nationals
• Ownership of equipment health and monitoring in support of area reliability targets
• Provide technical support, as necessary, to various Departments, namely; Brownfield and Greenfield Development Projects, Construction, Operations/Maintenance Subsurface/Optimisation and Senior Leadership on all aspects of Metering.
• Minimise operations financial and commercial exposure through implementation of strong Technical Compliance.
• Provide technical guidance for new metering systems and the upgrading of existing systems. Direct involvement in FEED and MoO/BOC approval applications/submissions.
• To lead FAT/SAT as Client representative for new or upgraded metering equipment, generate and review suitable documentation in order to complete & record the testing fully, ensuring results are clear, methods are transparent & in line with relevant standards. Ensure smooth transition of systems from project to operational status.
• Liaise with third party suppliers, customers & both independent & ministry regulatory body auditors, coordinating visits to various installations to demonstrate system compliance.
• Arrange third party calibrations on or off site and witness when required to ensure compliance.
• Control and monitoring of measurement quantity & quality system equipment including audits / inspections / surveys to check compliance with relevant standards, codes of practice and client requirements.
• Assist in the management of work orders, manpower hours, maintenance scheduling and spares.
• Keep aware of current and new metering technologies and developments and make recommendations for improvements or cost savings as appropriate. Prepare documents outlining specifications for potential improvements.
• Represent the Metering Team in any meetings or discussions as directed.
• Provide mis-measurement reports to make corrections should system failures occur. Raise deviation & dispensation requests with associated documentation when required. Assess individual system uncertainties and make recommendations on how to maintain operation within the specified tolerances.
• Review of work packs including functional design specifications, design, and procurement for new projects/equipment. Planning of work load and progress of works, procurement of necessary materials meeting precise specifications & lead times, developing detailed work packs for installation.
• Lead, or participate in, conceptual, basic and detailed design activities.
• Provide assurance on engineering compliance with pertinent Standards, Specifications, Codes and Regulations Ensure that non-conformities and temporary deviations are identified, risk assessed, and plans are put in place to mitigate risks
• Carry out Site Surveys, prepare of Basis of Design, Statement of Requirements, specifications, Data Sheets etc and associated deliverables for in-house and third-party engineering.
• Review and approve as necessary, third party engineering deliverables
• Produce material requisitions, technical bid evaluations, interface as necessary with vendors via PSCM
• Provide support as necessary to activity planning and progress reporting
• Act as custodian of key technical documents for Metering discipline:
• Operating Procedures
• Maintenance Procedures
• Proving Procedures
• Mismeasurement and Reconciliation Procedures
• Represent company on technical issues associated with 3rd party organisations, national authorities, and regulatory bodies where necessary.
• HSE inputs to support company’s performance contract including safety audits, Safety Observations, Risk assessments and Incident Reporting.
• Develop, implement, and manage contracts as CAM where necessary. Provide input to budget planning.
• Provide technical input to company management of change process.
• Degree / diploma qualified engineer or equivalent work experience
• Corporate membership of recognised professional body, desirable.
Essential experience and job requirements
• 15 years Petrochemical or Oil & Gas industry experience, with a minimum 10 years in the field of flow measurement and metering.
• Familiar with application of all relevant standards (ISOs, APIs, AGAs & DEPs) and calculation methodologies.
• Familiar with measurement allocation and reconciliation processes.
• Strong coaching skills developed in multi-national projects with diverse nationalities and cultures
Desirable criteria and qualifications
• Key skills include communication, interpersonal relationships, facilitation, influencing, and negotiating
• Ability to develop others and foster diverse relationships in a multicultural environment
• Ability to identify correct priorities of maintenance and engineering support activities
• Identify and assess safety hazards
• Ability to speak Arabic would be beneficial but not essential
• A passion and relentless drive for continuous improvement
• Strong use of IT systems to analyse data, and produce reports & KPI’s etc
• Strong interpersonal skills with experience influencing operating teams and contractors
• Strong cultural awareness
• Able to prioritise work in a high activity environment
• Able to work within a multidisciplinary team
• Ability to handle multiple tasks with minimal supervision
• Strong bias for being proactive and getting results
• Demonstrate planning, organizational and communication skills
With over 90 years’ combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world’s leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.