Position MHPSS Specialist
Reporting to Protection Coordinator
Reporting to Protection Coordinator
Coordinates with Protection Specialists, Protection Managers
All INTERSOS employees are expected to perform their roles and responsibilities according to the INTERSOS charter of values, code of ethics, PSEA and Child Protection policies. The job description is mandatory for all positions within INTERSOS and shall be signed by the employee within the first week of employment.
Purpose/objective of the position:
The MHPSS Specialist will provide technical guidance to the protection staff, in Erbil, Ninewa, Salah Din and Sulaymaniyah governorates ensuring specific MHPSS components of the programme are delivered according to internal guidelines and in line with international standards and principles, in order to achieve the mission’s goals effectively.
- Align the MHPSS strategy and approach with the mission’s Protection Strategy.
- Take the lead in updating, rolling out and functionalizing the MHPSS tools to staff.
- Develop MHPSS interventions and activities that are AGD-sensitive and contextually relevant addressing concerns related to child protection, violence against women and general protection.
- Coordinate with other teams in Protection, Health and Education to ensure seamless collaboration in referral systems and support for Case Management and access to health services.
- Contribute to the development of concept notes and proposals facilitating the integration of MHPSS into protection, education, and health programming as needed.
- Develop an MHPSS learning brief for Iraq mission, providing guidance for context-specific implementation and future planning.
- Participate in the Protection Context Analysis to assess MHPSS needs, gaps, and strengths within target populations contributing to the formulation and direction of the MHPSS strategy in the country.
- Spearhead creating a unified structure for group MHPSS, emotional support groups and tailored awareness initiatives with community support.
- Offer technical support to psychologists and MHPSS staff in handling complex individual cases for survivors of violence and child protection cases.
• Contribute to any assigned duties.
Capacity support and development:
- Coordinate mentorship and skill development sessions focused on MHPSS thematic areas.
- Work closely with the Community Engagement Specialist to design and implement community-based mental health and psychosocial support approach for vulnerable groups and communities
- Collaborate with the CP and GBV specialists to strengthen mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) within case management and offer guidance on empathy, safe identification and referral procedures.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Refine monitoring and evaluation and learning (MEAL) tools to assess the impact and effectiveness of MHPSS interventions for children, adults and persons with disabilities; pilot and standardize these tools.
- Conduct regular field monitoring visits to maintain the quality and effectiveness of programme implementation.
- Supervise and closely monitor the performance of psychologists and PSS teams to optimize the project’s
achievement of desired outcomes.
- Ensure the ethical collection, storage, archiving, processing, analysis and dissemination of confidential beneficiary data in line with the internal data protection protocols
- Provide monthly quality reporting support to the technical teams overseeing ongoing projects. Submit regular reports (field visits, training, mentorship, awareness, consultative assessments) to the protection coordinator highlighting progress and identifying areas requiring attention.
- Provide quality reporting support to the technical teams on a monthly basis to ongoing projects. On a monthly basis, provide the Protection Coordinator with quality reports noting progress and gaps needing attention.
Coordination and representation:
- Maintain collaborative working relationships with the working groups at national and/or field level.
- Represent INTERSOS as a focal point at MHPSS Task Force meetings.
- Network with MHPSS leaders of other missions and other organizations to share best practices and resources.
- Support in the recruitment of relevant MHPSS protection staff as per the need .
Education and professional experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology is mandatory.
- Social work and social sciences Degree is preferred (Iraq).
- Additional MHPSS training received with relevant working experience.
Competencies: (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities) :
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in a humanitarian and/or development context specifically on MHPSS for displaced populations within INGOs and/or NNGOs.
- Demonstrated ability to develop MHPSS training and mentorship to the protection staff within the mission is desired.
- Effective Coordination skills.
- Very good understanding of protection principles;
- Facilitation, training and mentoring skills.
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Excellent analytical and reporting and writing skills
- A high degree of flexibility and ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines as well as mitigate arising challenges;
- A respectful and non-discriminatory attitude, and commitment to confidentiality;
- Strong time management skills, resourcefulness, attention to detail with a positive problem-solving attitude;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and cross-cultural skills, ability to communicate effectively on culturally sensitive issues to diverse audiences.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Fluency in Arabic and Kurdish (written and spoken)
- Address Erbil with support to Ninewa, SAD and Sulymaniyah project location staff
- How to apply INTERSOS is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right for everyone to apply to its vacancies without any discrimination. For those interested and who meet the required criteria, please apply below. Kindly note that: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Your resume must be uploaded in PDF format. INTERSOS is reviewing applications on a rolling basis, and we reserve the right to close the vacancy before the mentioned closing date. The preference will be given to qualified candidates from the recruitment area.