Mission East is an international relief and development organisation working in crisis-affected countries in the former Soviet Union, the Middle East and Asia. We deliver emergency relief during disasters as well as long-term development assistance. Mission East is based on Christian values and works to support vulnerable people and help local communities lift themselves out of poverty and marginalisation. We work directly with our beneficiaries or through local and international partners. We constantly strive to strengthen the relevance, effect and sustainability of our programmes.
In Iraq, Mission East provides assistance for both urgent basic needs for those displaced by violence as well as longer-term support for returnees and IDPs in protracted displacement settings. Our current programme includes NFI and shelter, cash transfers, WASH assistance, livelihoods support, protection and psychosocial support activities delivered through multi-purpose community centres.
More information on Mission East can be found at: http://www.missioneast.org
The MHPSS Support Groups Facilitator is primarily responsible for establishing and facilitating Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) group sessions to vulnerable groups of men, women and youth who are struggling with minor mental health and PSS challenges. The support groups are aimed at providing groups of 8-12 individuals with positive coping strategies for managing stress, anxiety and difficult emotions, as well as providing a safe environment for individuals to seek support their peers who are in similar situations. The MHPSS Support Group Facilitator will be responsible for introducing community members to ideas such as mental health, psychosocial support, mind-body connections, general health and well-being.
The responsibilities of the MHPSS Support Group Facilitator include but are not limited to the following:
Main duties and responsibilities:
Implementation of Support Group Activities:
- Responsible for coordinating with the PSS Activities TL and the Case Management TL to identify men, women and youth facing PSS challenges and in-need of support group activities (internal referrals), and forming support groups for these individuals
- Utilize a participatory approach with group members to understand and identify specific MHPSS topics to cover with the group Research, design and deliver group discussions and creative activities on MHPSS topics, including, but not limited to: psychosocial support, healthy relationships, domestic violence, grief and loss, managing difficult emotions, overall mental health and well-being, mind-body connection, stress and anxiety
- Facilitate and encourage a safe, confidential and peer-supportive environment among group participants
- Establish rapport/trust with the community and group members
- Understand the limitations of support groups and Mission East’s services. Identify and refer more severe MHPSS cases to external, mental health professionals in the area.
- Provide information and/or refer affected men, women and youth to either case management for one-on-one support or external services for assistance
- Submit regularly reports on MHPSS Support Group activities and beneficiary feedback in a timely manner
- Ensure confidentiality.
- Support in the organization and facilitation of awareness-raising workshops to the wider community on topics such as mental health and psychosocial support, general health and well-being, disability & inclusion
- Contribute to a positive team spirit among all Mission East staff
- Develop and maintain positive coordination and relationships with partners and promote inter-sector collaboration
- Adhere to all ME HR policies, procedures and code of conducts that ensures transparency, services and accountability to beneficiaries and report any abuse of beneficiaries by other ME staff, including sexual exploitation and abuse in accordance with ME reporting procedures
- Adherence to the ME security policies and procedures and report any incidents or breaches to line-manager and/or security manager
- Any other related task that is requested by your line-manager
- Professional qualifications as a clinical social worker, psychiatrist or psychologist
- University degree in social work, psychology or psychiatry or a related degree
- Minimum of 1 year experience in a similar position
- Experience facilitating support groups or providing case management
- Prior experience working with men, women, or youth and in emergency contexts
- Strong understanding of referral and protection mechanisms, as well as mental health services in Sinjar
- Good understanding of current situation/on-going crisis and the psychological and social effects of crisis
- Competency in writing progress reports; familiarity with principles and practice of monitoring and evaluation
- Computer literate (Excel, Word, Email)
Qualified Candidates should submit Cover Letters with their CV’s in English on [email protected] with indicating the ” MHPSS Support Group Facilitator (ME/NIN/SIN/103/062020) “ in the subject line of the email no later than Jun 16th, 2020. Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Due to the urgency, Mission East reserves the right to recruit any suitable candidates before the above-mentioned deadline.
6 Months contract
Mission East is an equal opportunity employer.