Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam.
Oxfam Programme in Iraq started on 2014 responding to humanitarian needs of displaced population as a result of the war against ISIS. We are currently implementing humanitarian and development projects in Anbar and other governorates in Iraq. The programme focuses on multi-sectoral projects delivering water supply, sanitation and hygiene support, livelihoods and economic support, gender justice and protection.
The MEAL team will be accountable for ensuring the project design, management, monitoring, accountability, learning, evaluation and reporting processes meet Oxfam Minimum Standards for programming and CAMSA guidelines.
To work with Oxfam and Partners’ staff to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering.The MEAL Officer will be directly supervised by the Programme Manager and under Matrix Management of the Country MEAL Coordinator. The MEAL Officer will lead all the MEAL activities in Anbar Programme working closely with the WASH, EFSVL, Gender and Protection Teams. The MEAL Officer can give MEAL technical support to the MEAL teams in Baghdad and Missan, when needed.
The MEAL officer is responsible for development and implementation of monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) tools and systems for Oxfam Programme in Anbar. He/she will also lead and conduct various surveys, assessments, evaluations, post distribution monitoring for different projects/[programs in Anbar, with the technical support of the Country MEAL Coordinator. The MEAL Officer in Anbar, in particular, is responsible for coordinating and leading the MEAL operations of BMZ projects in Anbar, which is a three-year project with numerous MEAL needs and activities; he or she will be based in Anbar and will spend the majority of his time there carrying out MEAL activities for BMZ, as well as other projects in Anbar, such as Naseej and any other upcoming projects. He will also travel to Baghdad and Missan as needed to provide MEAL technical support to Oxfam and its partners.
What is the Recruiting Manager has to say about this role?
This role requires good analytical and writing skills, with clear understanding about MEAL framework, tools and indicator settings. The role entails massive report writing for internal and donor reporting in collaboration with program team. This role also requires strong knowledge of ICT applications, especially spreadsheets, database, and familiarity with associated web-based platforms and mobile applications.
|Location:||The position will be based in RAMADI/ANBAR, with frequent travel to ANBAR field areas. When necessary, the role will travel to Baghdad and Missan to provide MEAL technical support to Oxfam and its partners.|
|Salary:||According to OXFAM salary scale|
|Contract type:||Open to National Applicants only – Fixed contract|
Hours of work:
|40 hours per week. This is a full-time role; however, Oxfam offers various flexible arrangements which candidates can discuss with the Recruiting Manager at interview stage|
|This role reports to:||PROJECT MANAGER, WITH MATRIX MANAGEMENT- COUNTRY MEAL COORDINATOR
|Staff reporting to this post:||None|
|Annual budget for the post:||N/A|
|Key relationships/interactions:||Oxfam programme teams, Local Partners, Volunteers and Local community Structures|
|Screening checks:||All successful candidates will be screened through Refinitiv World-Check One to comply with counter terrorism and financial sanctions regulations.|
|References:||Should you be successful and not already employed by Oxfam GB, we will require minimum of two references covering five years of employment history.|
|DBS checks (for roles based in the UK):
It is a requirement in the UK for a new DBS check at enhanced level for every new member of staff who works directly with, or has regular contact with, children or vulnerable adults in the UK (consistent with DBS guidance and relevant law).
MEAL System Development and Implementation:
- Supports the development and updating of relevant MEAL frameworks and Protocols
- Working closely with the MEAL Coordinator in developing area-based MEAL plans and review/update on regular basis, in close coordination with project teams and Oxfam’s partners.
- Works with the programme teams and partners in implementing MEAL frameworks, processes and tools, ensuring quality and consistency with Oxfam standards
- Manage the data collection for key programme deliverables to demonstrate qualitative and quantitative changes overtime in collaboration with the field MEAL and programme team. This will include collection of primary data collection as well as secondary sources.
- Ensure that new projects have MEAL plans with adequate financial coverage
Programme Monitoring, Information Management and Reporting:
- Develops/ updates tools for data collection, analysis and processing
- Field data collection and data management, including:
- Recruitment and training of data collectors
- Carrying out and supervising data collection (Focus group discussions, post-distribution monitoring, surveys, observations etc.) and data entry.
- Analyses quantitative and qualitative data, drafts reports presenting the results of the analysis, and shares the findings in an appropriate format.
- Reports to / alerts the project team on regular basis on any anticipated project issues, risks and any emerging opportunities and threats to the project implementation, related to this role.
- Supports in the updating and improvement of beneficiary database system
- Contribute in timely and quality reporting on Oxfam projects in all covered locations of the programme, demonstrating accountability and learning.
- Oversee quality assurance of all field data collection exercises, data management, and analysis
- Supports the MEAL Coordinator to produce clear and quality reports that demonstrate accountability and learning.
- Ensures all MEAL-related data and files are properly organized and stored
Data Gathering and Information Management
- Prepare clear data collection plans in discussion with the MEAL / PQ and technical teams and lead on all field data collection exercises, data management and analysis
- Analyse the data, together with the project team, and share them in the required format
- Contribute in timely and quality reporting in all projects in targeted locations
- Sets up / strengthens and manages complaint and feedback mechanism in areas of operation
- Shares feedback and complaints with field teams and track follow-up.
- Support the partners in setting up and management of their accountability mechanism
- Ensure the implementation of strong accountability and community feedback mechanisms in areas of operation
- Share accountability findings with the programme Manager and Country MEAL Coordinator on monthly basis.
- Receive, process and respond to beneficiary feedback and complaints and guide beneficiaries seeking help through Oxfam hotlines, field visits, and other complaints and feedback mechanisms.
- Plan and conduct training sessions of relevant staff members (both Oxfam and partner organizations) to support and ensure quality implementation of accountability mechanisms and information provision plans.
Capacity building for Oxfam and Partner staff:
- Undertakes periodic monitoring and technical support visits to partners to assess progress against agreed MEAL system and recommend corrective actions as appropriate.
- Works closely with partner MEAL staff or focal points and provide support as appropriate
- Provide training to partners on accountability and support them in setting up own mechanisms
- Assist the partners/consortium members in the design of their MEAL system. Organize relevant training and other capacity building events for partners to carry out proper MEAL activities.
- Assist project leads/responsible persons and partners in identifying relevant areas on partner MEAL systems that need strengthening and aligning to the requirements of the individual programme and overall Oxfam MEAL objectives and requirements
- Work closely with programme focal points and partners to ensure appropriate feedback mechanisms are incorporated into project teams’ and partners’ projects
Evaluation, Review, and Learning:
- Share relevant MEAL findings with projects teams and partners in an appropriate format and follow-up their implementation.
- Support the MEAL Coordinator in the design and management of evaluations, including: the coordination of field-based data collection activities, review of evaluations reports, sharing of evaluation findings and recommendations with intended audiences.
- Together with the Country MEAL Coordinator, and Programme Manager, facilitate annual program quality review and reflection meetings for Oxfam Anbar Programme.
- Support the implementation of evaluation recommendations at field level
- Assist the project team and partners in documenting lessons learnt
- Collecting best practices, case studies which demonstrate qualitative and quantitative changes over the period.
- Organize/support field-based reviews and learning events
Coordination and Networking:
- Participate in and contribute to relevant inter-agency efforts at field level to agree and develop coordinated / joint M&E and accountability frameworks and mechanisms
- Attend relevant field level sectoral coordination meetings to identify opportunities for integration of data collection activities, harmonization, secondary information sources etc.
- Delivering any other responsibility related to MEAL assigned by the line and matrix manager.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience and demonstrable skills in designing and implementing MEAL systems for economic empowerment.
- Degree in social science or relevant discipline
- Strong analytical and writing skills
- Evidence-based monitoring and evaluation frameworks and programmes, with emphasis on participatory and partnership-based MEAL approaches
- Strong knowledge of ICT applications & mobile applications
- Familiarity with project cycle management, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning
- Experience in the organisation, conduct and management of various capacity-building/skills transfer events and process
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken
- Proven ability to work effectively with others – including in multicultural team – and strong interpersonal skills
- Proven knowledge of computerised systems; high degree of computer literacy and word processing and spreadsheet/Excel skills. Strong knowledge of ICT applications & mobile applications
- Good report-writing skills
- Organized and able to manage own time under guidance and direction from line-manager
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and beliefs, including strong commitment to gender, diversity issues, equal opportunities and capacity building
- Strong interpersonal and self-awareness skills
- Ability and willingness to undertake extensive travel in country
- Well-developed conceptual, critical, analytical thinking and planning skills.
- Demonstrates ability to take Initiative, drive to achieve results, ability to develop effective organizations.
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of gender equity issues and their relevance to humanitarian response work.
- Ability to work effectively with others, adaptable and flexible.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work sensitively with people from various cultural and social backgrounds.
- Able to work with minimum supervision and provide solutions to problems as they arise
Your commitment to Oxfam
- Salary Offer As per Oxfam Salary Scale USD As per Oxfam Salary Scale Month
- How to apply As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
- Job Reference INT8614- MEAL Officer