Management Systems International (MSI), a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area management consultancy with a 40-year history of delivering results for our clients. Our expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation; democracy and governance; peace and stability; rule of law and accountability; education; gender and inclusion; strategic communications; and leadership and organizational development. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Colombia, Indonesia, Jordan, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Syria and Ukraine, and works domestically. We support clients ranging from the U.S. Government (e.g., the U.S. Agency for International Development, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Departments of State and Labor, and the Millennium Challenge Corporation) to large bilateral and multilateral donors (e.g., the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program). We also work with national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
The Iraq Monitoring Project (IMP) provides third-party monitoring (TPM) and evaluation support to monitor, verify, and evaluate selected programs in Iraq that are funded by the United States Agency for International Development’s (USAID’s) Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA). Management Systems International (MSI), a Tetra Tech Company, is a major partner on IMP, under subcontract to Integrity Global. The information and findings from the project will be critical in ensuring program learning and accountability, which will be useful for real-time programmatic adjustments and future program design. IMP has a one-year base period with three one-year options to extend. The project office is in Erbil, Iraq.
**Please note: Only Iraqi citizens are eligible for this position.**
The Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Specialist will play an integral role in designing, managing, and strengthening IMP’s TPM systems as well as in the design and implementation of evaluations that BHA may commission under the project. The M&E Specialist will provide the overall technical direction to the IMP team on monitoring methodology and data analysis as well as on evaluations that BHA commissions under the project. The M&E Specialist will also be responsible for the design of the monitoring plan, data collection tools, and other required deliverables for both the monitoring and evaluation components of IMP. The position will report directly on technical matters to the IMP Chief of Party (COP).
TPM Design and Planning
- Design data collection tools for TPM site visits, such as observation checklists, key informant interview guides, focus group discussion guides, and survey instruments, in alignment with BHA’s areas of humanitarian focus.
- Participate in the piloting and application of data collection tools as required to ensure their effective use by the IMP team.
- Identify and operationalize lessons learned from past TPM experiences and from ongoing IMP implementation to ensure that collaborating, learning, and adapting forms a core part of TPM implementation.
- Lead IMP knowledge management activities, including the development of the overall IMP monitoring system, and ensure that the activities are aligned with the needs of BHA and its IPs and build on TPM best practices and lessons learned from past BHA and IP experiences.
- Support the development of the IP Activities database from which all site visit samples will be selected.
- Contribute to the development and ongoing refinement of the IMP Implementation Plan and the Monitoring Plan in collaboration with the DCOP, including the overall TPM approach and tools, sampling and analysis strategy, and reporting plans.
- Ensure that TPM tools and approaches incorporate best practices regarding Gender Equality and Social Inclusion, do-no-harm principles, data protection, ethical standards, and working in conflict-affected zones including options for remote data collection as needed.
TPM Data Collection, Analysis, and Reporting
- Provide technical guidance and oversight for IMP’s Reports and Data Quality Coordinator.
- Assist in training IMP’s two Field Coordinators as well as the local data collection partner’s site visit monitors to use the data collection tools and collect relevant and high-quality data.
- Oversee the implementation of TPM activities, ensuring fidelity with the Monitoring Plan, timeliness based on the monitoring schedule, and quality and reliable data collected.
- Clean data as it is received and evaluate it to develop findings.
- Write findings up into concise and user-friendly reports that include data visualizations and summarize key conclusions and recommendations for BHA and IPs.
- Review and provide quality assurance for TPM reports prepared by IMP staff and data collection partner(s), requesting revisions and clarifications as required to ensure their accuracy and usefulness and compliance with USAID, BHA, and IMP requirements and standards.
- Manage the preparation of the Monitoring Summary Reports, in coordination with the Reports and Data Quality Coordinator, aggregating findings across all site visits by month.
- Lead or contribute to the preparation of other IMP deliverables, as required.
- Support the design and facilitation of periodic learning workshops with IP and BHA staff to share TPM results and discuss the monitoring mechanisms and practices utilized by IPs.
- Facilitate ongoing discussions with BHA implementing partners to better understand their implementation approaches and TPM learning interests, ensuring collaborative and effective relationships over the life of the project.
Evaluations Design and Implementation
- Develop the Evaluation Work Plan for each evaluation requested by the Mission in collaboration with the DCOP.
- Facilitate evaluation design discussions with BHA and IP(s) to clearly articulate the purpose of the study, agree on an appropriate number of evaluation questions, and set parameters for the budget and time frame in collaboration with the DCOP.
- Support the DCOP and evaluation team members in the development of the detailed Evaluation Design.
- Provide guidance, quality assurance, and support as needed to the evaluation team throughout data collection, analysis, and reporting tasks.
- Serve as evaluation team member on specific IMP evaluations as required.
- Provide support in the planning and execution of Evaluations, Assessments and Special Studies as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in international affairs, social science, or a related field required. Master’s degree in international affairs, social science, statistics, or a related field is highly desirable.
- Minimum seven years of progressively responsible experience related to the contract subject matter required, including minimum two years of experience managing teams and minimum one year of experience working in conflict zones or complex emergencies.
- Experience providing technical support to third party monitoring projects, M&E support projects, and/or large-scale evaluations.
- Experience conducting quantitative and qualitative field research in conflict zones or complex emergencies.
- Strong, analytic skills, interpersonal skills, and team management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic is required.
MSI is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We strive to develop and maintain a culture that honors the perspectives and identities of our employees, our communities and those impacted by our work.
We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
MSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action/Americans with Disabilities/Veterans Employer.
MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please visit Tetra Tech’s Disability Assistance Page. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.