Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : National Operation Officer -Durable Solutions
Organizational Unit : Transition and Recovery Division (TRD)
Duty Station : Erbil – Iraq
Classification : National Officer Category, “NOA Type of Appointment : Special Short Term contract (SST)
Duration of Appointment : Six (6) months with possibility of extension
Closing Date : 05th February 2023
Reference Code : SVN2023/IRQ/013
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Aapplications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged as well as the Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission (COM)/DCoM, the overall supervision of the Head of the Transition and Recovery Division, and the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator, in close coordination with Senior Programme Coordinator and National Operations Officer, the “National Durable Solutions Officer” will support facilitated voluntary movement activities taking place in the Ninewa governorate both in camps and areas of origin. Based out of the Erbil IOM office, with constant visits to the different communities throughout Ninewa and Dohuk including missions to other governorates as they relate to returns in Ninewa. The position will implement return operations and coordinate relationships with stakeholders across the governorate and follow the same channel of reporting in the unit. The position will be responsible for overseeing all durable solutions field operations and be responsible for the direct line management of both DS Senior Field Associates as well as DS Field Associates
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- 1. Supervise assigned durable solution staff and provide constant operational guidance on workplans and population engagement in camps, areas of displacement and areas of origi
- 2. Supervise the DS field associates(s) and other relevant field staff in all activities related to the transition and return project in areas of displacement and in areas of return located
within Ninewa – to sensitization, registration, coordination, referrals, monitoring and evaluation.
- 3. Coordinate the implementation of all operational activities in the governorates within the Area of Responsibility, focusing on the IOM DS programming offering additional support as requested to other IOM programmes in the area of responsibility.
- 4. Demonstrate excellent leadership skills while monitoring field staff productivity and provide constructive feedback and supervise attendance and adherence of IOM standards.
- 5. Review reports and analyze return areas to conduct rapid assessments and activity implementation based on return trends.
- 6. Liaise with technical specialists within IOM regarding implementation of community- planning and project selection methodology, shelter and livelihood activities to incorporate best practices and ensure compliance with IOM’s procedures related to general activity implementati
- 7. Conduct outreach and participate in forums held by national, regional and local
government entities, UN Agencies, NGOs, and other parties within the Area of Responsibility to facilitate project implementation, create partnerships and ensure proper coordination and information sharing.
- 8. Ensure that responsibilities are carried out effectively and efficiently by field-based teams, reporting any substantiated staff performance concerns and recommendations for improvement or corrective action.
- 9. Pro-actively offer suggestions and advice to management regarding improvements in implementation and procedures and initiate such improvements as requeste
- 10. Ensure community participation in feedback mechanisms and expression accountability to populations during project planning and implementati
- 11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned by supervisor(s).
- Master’s degree in Political Science, social sciences, International Relations or related filed from accredited academic institution of relevant professional experience
- University degree from accredited academic institution with 2 years relevant professional experience.
- Experience in managing several types of community-based projects;
- Experience in interventions aimed at supporting facilitated voluntary movements programming or durable solutions programming;
- Experience working in challenging environments, including camp, informal sites, and hard-to- reach areas;
- Experience in liaising with government authorities, other national/international technical counterparts and NGOs, and building effective partnerships;
- Proven ability to supervise, coach, and direct staff and manage operations in transitional/post-conflict contexts;
- Willing to conduct constant travel within the Area of Responsibility.
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion, and loyalty.
- Strives for supportive working environment and positive working relationship.
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment, retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work and act under pressure with discretion in politically sensitive environment
- Work prioritization and ability to multitask.
- Ready to work independently, under tight deadlines.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstration of complex problem solving and an ability to think critically and creatively whilst in the field and under potentially sensitive circumstances.
- English, Kurdish and Arabic are required.
- Any other language is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies: Values
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others’ views and ideas and respects their contribution.
IOM IN/234 – Policy and Procedures for Preventing and Responding to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse IOM has a policy of zero tolerance of sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) by IOM staff members and the employees or any other persons engaged and controlled by IOM Contractors. The staff members and all contract type holders shall protect against and prevent sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
While this vacancy is open to both Internals and Externals, priority shall be given to qualified Internal applicants.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via a link:
For an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 22.01.2023 to 05.02.2023