WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies, building prosperity and supporting a sustainable future for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change. In 2020, WFP assisted over 630,000 people in Iraq. Through providing food for vulnerable people, skills to build futures and enhanced social protection, WFP is helping the Iraqi government build people’s resilience and food security.For more information, see wfp.org/countries/iraq and ar.wfp.org/countries/iraq
The incumbent will be responsible for the implementation of WFP’s resilience and livelihood components within the social protection scheme under the supervision of the Resilience Programme Policy Officer who leads the activity implementation country-wide, and overall guidance from Head of Resilience unit, and the Head of Programme. The National Programme Officer will be based in the Country Office in Baghdad with regular travel to Field Offices and counterparts’ stations as needed.
To provide support to the implementation of the resilience and livelihoods activities within the joint EU-UN social protection project.
- Provide support in formulation, management and implementation of resilience and livelihood activities, predominately in urban areas and with an employment, policy, and capacity building focus.
- Contributing towards the successful implementation of resilience and livelihoods interventions; follow up and tracking of implementation progress against the work plans and timelines.
- Ensuring the alignment of all project aspects with the wider WFP programme policies and guidance.
- Contributing to developing policies, manuals, and plans related to the desired project outcomes.
- Contributing to the establishment and maintaining positive coordination and communication channels with the external stakeholders, especially the governmental institutions.
- Formulate and help manage of partnership agreements especially with the governmental partners, including oversight of implementation, budgets, and disbursement of funds. This include supporting the planning and implementation of capacity building and policy making activities for the governmental partners in line with the project design.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely narrative and financial reports on programmes and activities and consistency of information presented to WFP management and the stakeholders.
- Enhance and coordinate data gathering and monitoring systems in line with WFP’s corporate systems ensuring that the quality standards are maintained
- Support the coordination with the other UN sister agencies, international NGOs, governmental entities, private sector, and community representatives to ensure successful implementation. This may require representing WFP’s interests at various national and international for a.
- Provide continuous guidance and support to the team members and the Field Offices staff.
- Other tasks could be requested by the supervisor based on work priorities and needs
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance||Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.|
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Voucher)||Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.|
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized areas (i.e. Nutrition, VAM, etc.)||Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.|
|Emergency Programming||Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.|
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/ Government||Develops thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g., government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government owned food and nutrition security programmes.|
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: First Level (Bachelor) or Advanced University Degree (Master) in Business Administration, Project Management, Engineering, Social Sciences, Adults Education or similar fields
Experience: At least 3 years of relevant experience in development work in supervisory roles with focus on implementation and coordination, preferably with specialized experience in livelihood-related projects.
Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic (level C) is a must.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Previous experience in managing and/or coordinating Cash-Based interventions (such as cash for work, cash for assets, cash for train etc.)
- Previous experience in managing and/or coordinating Capacity Building interventions (vocational training, business development training, skills enhancement projec etc.)
- Previous experience in working with the governmental stakeholders.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of major humanitarian and development challenges and issues, specifically strategies and/or policies at the national level for enhanced resilience, livelihoods, and social protection
- Familiarity with the customs and proper ways of communication with the governmental stakeholders.
- Strong and proven experience in project management, team management, and coordination.
- Excellent communication skills in order to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to analyze financial data, monitor budgets, and report shortcomings with proposed solutions.
- Ability to build relationships with a variety of individuals across functions, both internally and externally.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Position Title: National Programme Policy Officer Resilience
Grade: National Officer – Service Contract (Level 8)
Contract: Service Contract (SC) – One-year renewable
Duty Station/travel: Baghdad with travel inside Iraq and occasionally abroad
Salary: Starting at USD 41,683net per annum
Medical Plan: International valid medical plan for the staff member, spouse and dependents children under 18 years
Annual leave: 30 working days per annum
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
23 January 2021
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply