Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development and financial inclusion to save lives, advance equity and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous and equitable global community.
The Network Engineer is the primary IT resource for Global Communities multi country Network environment. Supports, implements, and manages network technologies including but not limited to firewalls, switches, access points, etc.
The Network Engineer is responsible for the technical implementation of Global Communities standard network security policies. He/she monitors the network and works with program IT officers to ensure the local program networks are performing in compliance with Global Communities and donors’ security requirements
- Manage Global Communities’ Network infrastructure including the Implementation of technologies and processes to maintain the security, reliability, efficiency, and availability of all communication networks.
- Function as the primary technical administrator of Cisco Meraki and Sonicwall network management platforms.
- Provide day to day network support for our global network infrastructure located in remote field offices. Typical support includes configuration and troubleshooting firewall, access points, routers, and all network enable devices.
- Monitors the global network and collaborates with IT officers to ensure that each field office is in compliance with Global Communities’ and donor security requirements.
- Perform network design, capacity planning, log monitoring, security maintenance, and performance tuning of network services.
- Develop and maintain network documentation and diagrams.
- Work within established configuration and change management procedures to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure.
- Function as the primary point of contact for network related technology within the company’s cyber incident response plan.
- Resolve escalated Service Desk support requests.
- Provide advice on all IT network related purchases. Interact and coordinate with vendors, suppliers, distributors, and contract consultants. Assist with negotiations and contracts, ensuring that IT network purchases support the business objectives while maintaining compliance with proven industry and corporate standards.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of emerging network technologies, tools, techniques, and best practices. This includes participation in technical communities and identifying innovation opportunities for the organization.
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to local IT officers.
- Provide 24/7 on-call network support.
- Undertake all other duties and projects as may be assigned from time to time.
POSITION SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Minimum of 10% international travel, which includes high risk locations to support the completion of IT projects and/or provide in-country program office support.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Superior ability to support applications for production environments utilizing Microsoft cloud, Cisco Meraki and Sonicwall security platforms.
- Understanding of routing protocols like BGP, OSFP, HSRP, and network based ACL’s.
- Well versed in supporting most LAN and WAN architectures including Ethernet, Spanning Tree, Trunking, 802.1q vlan tagging, dark fiber, and Point-to-Point circuits.
- Expertise with network cloud management platforms.
- Excellent network security skills using sniffing software.
- Deep understanding of networking protocols (e.g., IPSEC, HSRP, BGP, OSPF, 802.11, QoS) and solid understanding of the OSI or TCP/IP model.
- Hands-on experience with monitoring, network diagnostic and network analytics tools
- Proven ability to implement and manage industry leading switches, routers, servers, cables, racks, and firewalls.
- Ability to multi-task in fast paced environment, exercise patience and professionalism during stressful situations and follow established guidelines and instructions.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and sound judgment. Proven willingness to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate judgment.
- Ability to identify, research, and resolve problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work well with people of differing technical skill levels and understanding. Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Fluency in English, written and oral. Abilities in a second language preferred.
- Accuracy, attention to detail.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and ability to sit at a computer and operate a keyboard.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline with a minimum of four years of related work experience or a minimum of eight years of related work experience
- CCNP or higher (CCIE and/or CISSP highly valued).
- Proven hands-on experience administrating network architecture and infrastructure working in a high-availability network environment, experienced supporting a multi-site organization using various technologies.
- Hands-on experience with Meraki – SD-WAN appliances, switches, wireless access points and SonicWall firewalls.
- Experience with Azure firewall is a plus.