CONSULTANT/FIRM TO CONDUCT SOLAR WATER PUMPING SYSTEM TRAINING
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good. Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam.
Oxfam in Iraq is responding to the water, sanitation, and hygiene needs of IDPs, returnees, and host communities affected by the conflict and drought in under-served and politically contested areas in Kirkuk and Diyala governorates. The primary objective of this consultancy is to provide specialized training to local water authorities in Iraq on the design, installation, operation, and maintenance of solar water pumping systems. Kirkuk and Diyala lacks sustainable water resource management due to conflict and under-investment, growing population, climate change, inefficient irrigation practices, lack of awareness and lack of access to energy. The electricity grid is outdated and inefficient (drop in voltage), and there are frequent power outages especially in rural areas. Solar water pumping for drinking water has not been widely adopted due to Infrastructure challenges, financial constraints, awareness and education and government policies and support. The training should empower local authorities to effectively utilize solar-powered technologies for water supply in their communities to address the above-mentioned challenges.
Within this context, Oxfam in Iraq is implementing the “Durable solutions for vulnerable, displacement-affected women, men, girls, and boys in Diyala and Kirkuk”. The projects aim to support Conflict and drought-affected people including IDPs, returnees, and host community members, to have increased and equitable access to safe water and sanitation facilities. And support government and community actors to have increased thematic and organizational capacity to ensure the provision of quality WASH services. As part of this project, Oxfam aims to conduct a technical training on Solar Water Pumping system for Directorate of Water Technical cadre from Diyala and Kirkuk Governorates and WASH staff from Oxfam, partners, and other NGOs on ground.
Considering this, Oxfam is looking for a qualified and experienced in solar water pumping system trainer/consultant who can deliver a high-quality training program to local water authorities. The consultant should have a strong understanding of the principles of solar water pumping and be able to translate this knowledge into practical skills that participants can use in the field.
The objective of the training is to increase the capacity of the participants to be able to:
- Assess the feasibility of installing solar water pumping system.
- Able to differentiate between various type of solar powered systems and when to use these various types.
- Assess the main steps of project design and implement of a solar water pumping.
- Assess and analysis (SWOT) existing solar water pumping systems
- Become familiar with risk in implementation and mitigation
- Become familiar with solar water pumping design software.
- Become familiar with specifications to support solar powered water pumping tender processes.
- Understand operation and maintenance needs for solar water pumping.
- Develop sustainability plans for completed solar powered water projected.
- Increased Technical Knowledge: Trainees should demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of solar water pumping systems, including their design, installation, operation, and maintenance.
- Competence in System Design: Trainees should be able to assess water supply needs in their respective communities and design appropriate solar pumping systems that meet those needs efficiently based on assessment results
- Successful Installation: Trainees should be able to install solar water pumping systems correctly, ensuring that they are properly integrated into the existing water infrastructure.
- Effective Operation: Local authorities should be able to operate solar pumps effectively, managing water supply systems efficiently to provide consistent and reliable access to clean water.
- Maintenance Proficiency: Trainees should acquire the skills to troubleshoot common issues and perform routine maintenance tasks on solar water pumping systems, reducing downtime and repair costs.
- Safety Awareness: Trainees should prioritize safety in all aspects of solar water pumping, understanding potential hazards and implementing safety measures to protect both personnel and equipment.
- Sustainability Plans: Local authorities should develop sustainability plans for the continued operation and maintenance of solar pumping systems, ensuring their long-term viability.
- Reduced Reliance on Traditional Energy Sources: An expected output is a reduction in the reliance on traditional energy sources (e.g., diesel generators) for water pumping, leading to cost savings and reduced environmental impact.
- Documentation and Records: Trainees should maintain comprehensive documentation and records related to the solar water pumping systems, ensuring the availability of historical data for future reference in addition to the trainees should be equipped with knowledge on preparing the technical documents and BOQs for tendering,
SCOPE OF WORK:
The consultant’s scope of work will include, but not be limited to:
- Conduct a needs assessment to understand the specific requirements and knowledge gaps of the target audience.
- Conduct a market assessment to understand the available raw materials, brands, specification, … etc.
- Develop a comprehensive training curriculum tailored to the needs of local water authorities in Iraq.
- Prepare and conduct pre and post training tests and report (and share the test and answers with WASH Coordinator in advance before conducting the training).
- Deliver hands-on training sessions covering solar water pumping system (design, installation, operation, maintenance, and safety awareness)
- Provide practical demonstrations and exercises to ensure participants gain practical skills.
- Develop training materials, including manuals, presentations, and other relevant resources.
- Deliver training
- Assess the learning outcomes and provide recommendations for follow-up support.
- Prepare a final training report summarizing the training program, including analysis for the pre-post-tests as well as recommendations for further actions within 5 working days after completion of each training session.
- Lectures: to introduce the concepts and provide a general overview of the topic.
- Presentations: to showcase the latest research and developments in solar water pumping.
- Group discussions: to facilitate learning and understanding.
- Hands-on exercises: to design, install, operate, and maintain solar water pumping systems, (learn by doing) approach.
- Case studies: to illustrate the principles of solar water pumping and to show how they can be applied in real-world situations.
- Field visits: to give participants a practical experience of solar water pumping systems
Number of participants:
Date and period:
Tentatively planned to be conducted during the second and the third year of December. Total estimated days of involvement: 10 working days as below:
- 4 working days before the training for market assessment and participant capacity mapping, preparing the manuals, …etc.
- 4 training days – three days theoretical (in venue) and one day for practical at field.
- 2 days after the training for follow up and reporting.
Erbil governorate OR Sulaymaniyah governorate – Iraq.
Oxfam will provide a budget for the consultancy servicers as per the submitted financial proposal. Consultants are invited to submit their proposals, including a detailed budget breakdown, Technical proposal, CV. And Cover letter.
Note: Oxfam will cover all related expenses (venue, participants overnight hotel, lunch, breakfast, … etc). Also, Oxfam will cover the printing cost and translation cost of the training manuals if needed
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, water resources, or a related field.5+ years of experience in solar water pumping design, installation, and operation.
- Experience in training and technical support and Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Arabic is preferable
- Salary Offer as per the consultancy agreement USD as per the consultancy agreement Month
- How to apply Interested consultants are invited to submit their applications, including a cover letter, CV, proposed training curriculum outline, and budget proposal, to [email@example.com] and putting the following text in the subject(SOLAR WATER PUMPING SYSTEM TRAINING) by [as per the advertisement conditions].
- Job Reference CONSULTANT/FIRM TO CONDUCT SOLAR WATER PUMPING SYSTEM TRAINING (INT10036)