For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. MdM currently works in 38 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been working in Iraq since the 1990s. With the arrival of ISIL in 2014, MdM started to provide IDPs and host communities with immediate healthcare services through curative and preventive care including MHPSS services in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I). Later, MdM expanded its support to the most vulnerable IDPs and host communities outside of the KR-I region, in Kirkuk Governorate in July 2015, and in Ninewa Governorate in April 2016.
Since 2018, MdM strategy has been focusing on supporting the existing health system. Therefore, the current program aims at supporting the local health authorities in Dohuk, Kirkuk and Ninewa governorates in order to provide quality PHC services (including MHPSS and GBV response) and to address the needs of IDPs, returnees and vulnerable host communities.
- A combination of direct and complementary services at the PHC level, especially related to general health, Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH), while contributing to the health system strengthening through capacity building at DOH level
- Mental health and Psychosocial Support activities
- Gender Based Violence prevention and response activities integrated within the PHCC general health services, including SRH and MHPSS services
- A Community Health Based (CHB) approach to ensure community participation, while empowering individuals.
Under the direct supervision of the Program manager and the technical supervision of Deputy Medical Coordinator/Medical Coordinator Pharmacist supervisor is responsible for the
Pharmacy management of MDM Pharmacy following MDM standards and improving the quality of the pharmacy management in MDM supported PHCCs of the DOH.
Pharmacy management of MDM Pharmacy
- Coordinate reception of the orders in the pharmacy with the logistic department and inspect items, as to quality, quantity, and expiry dates;
- Manage drugs, medical supplies and consumables stock with specific tools (Excel, SAGASTOCK) and ensuring that items coming in and out of the pharmacy warehouse are registered and accounted through stock cards, software tools as needed;
- Ensure adequate storage in pharmacy and departments (humidity, temperature, light exposure, cold chain), according to standards tools and protocols in coordination with logistics;
- Coordinate the supply to MDM supported PHCC;
- Take timely ad appropiate action when levels of stock are becoming low or in case of any damaged equipment, in cooperation with Medical and logistic department;
- Take timely action to prevent overstock and expiring of drugs;
- Ensure that expired or damaged items are properly put in quarantine and ensure their effective destruction;
- Ensure correct preparation of donations and loans according to MDM and donor guidelines;
- Conduct monthly physical inventories inside the pharmacy warehouse and keep the pharmacy records always updated;
- Participate in planning for pharmaceutical and medical equipment and preparing national and intrenationl phramaceutical orders;
- Inform on a regular basis challenges encountered to Program Manager and deputy medical / medical coordinator, and the possible solutions and actions.
Pharmaceutical and medical equipment orders and inventories
- Receive all medical orders from MDM supported health facilities;
- Verify the rationality of the medical requests (compare the order with the consumption and stock remaining) and alert the Program manager if needed;
- Organize monthly orders delivery to the MDM supported health facilities;
- Organize regular inventories in all MdM supported health facilities and follow up if needed on any discrepancy;
- Provide MDM supported health facilities with available list of medication and consumables at MDM pharmacy.
Supervise staff and pharmacy management MDM supported PHCCs
- Provide on the job supervision and training to DOH pharmacy staff regarding dispensing drugs and pharmacy management;
- Supervise and monitor pharmaceutical usage, storage, regulations, in the MDM supported health facilities;
- Monitor prescriptions for compliance with regulations and availability, and notify medical doctors of incomplete and inaccurate prescriptions, and relevant staff including PHCC managers and MDM Health facility supervisor;
- Monitor the rational prescriptions of antibiotics and any other drugs if required and report discuss challenges with relevant staff including PHCC managers and MDM Health facility supervisor;
- Supervise the implementation of pharmacy procedures, regulations and instructions, according agreed guidelines (DOH or MDM);
- Supervise that satisfactory safety and security levels are maintained in all PHCCs and suggest improvements if needed;
- Support Pharmacy staff of the PHCC to prepare the request /order in line with the DoH/MoH procedures and monthly consumption
Train DOH staff and relevant MdM staff on pharmacy related topics
- Identify training needs of pharmacy staff and PHCC staff on pharmacy related topics
- Train pharmacy staff and other health workforces PHCC on pharmacy related topic
Data Collection and reporting
- Enter all the needed data in SAGA stock and submit monthly SAGA pharmacy back-up to the medical coordinator and deputy medical coordinator;
- Ensure an adapted filing system is in place ( for documents such as waybills, stock cards, weekly consumption forms, monthly inventories, prescription papers,….) in line with MDM guidelines or/and procedures;
- Collect monthly data from PHCC(s) supported by MdM and report to internal monitoring tools (monitool, database…)
- Analyse monthly consumption in relation to the morbidity together with the health facility supervisor;
- Provide monthly Pharmacy reports on (shortages, low stocks, overstocks, discrepancies, inventories feedback, trainings, supervisions carried out, list of drugs to expire soon,…) to the line manager and technical coordinators (Medical coordinator and Deputy Med Co)
- Participate in health need assessment upon request with a specific focus on pharmacy
- Take part in the evaluation and the anticipation of the requirements in local and international needs according to the MDM’s drugs policy and national policy.
- Participate in the internal MDM meetings,
- Participate in meetings with the partners and the MOH on request of the program manager
- Work in coordination with the program team
- Any other related MDM tasks as assigned by the program manager
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- A Registered Pharmacist in Iraq
- At least 2 year of experience as a pharmacist, either in hospital or in PHCCs
- At least 1-year experience in supervision of pharmacy staff
- Experience working in humanitarian emergency settings is an asset
Skills and qualities required
- Computer literacy, particularly with Excel and Word
- Experience in using SAGA soft ware
- Supervision and management skills;
- Ability to train and build capacity of staff;
- Organization and manage priorities;
Required Personal Characteristics and skills
- Team player
- Listening and diplomacy skills;
- Communication: able to communicate clearly
- Motivation: shows commitment .
- English: Fluent
- Arabic: Fluent
- Kurdish: Fluent- an asset
- How to apply submit CV and Cover letter by Email to [email protected] including the subject: Ref: 2021-MOS-05 LAST SUBMISSION DATE ON May 9, 2021 please make sure to send your CV in PDF/word format (other formats or links arent considered) and write the reference (2021-MOS-05)on the subject of your email. Only Short-Listed Applicants Will Be Contacted Reviewing the application CVs will be on a rolling basis, as such; MdM reserves the right to fill the position before the closing date of the job advertisement