American University of Iraq Baghdad (AUIB) is looking for an experienced Procurement Manager to lead and manage all aspects of the procurement activities. The successful candidate will spearhead the purchasing process by identifying potential supplier sources, screening and negotiating favorable payment terms. Our Procurement Manager will be a supply chain and logistics expert who will strategize in implementing cost-effective purchases of goods and services, as required by AUIB. Ensuring quality control and adhering to the university’s policies and procedures, the Procurement Manager’s additional responsibilities will also include monitoring supplier/vendor performances and ensuring contractual obligations are met.
The Procurement Manager position will report directly to the Director of Finance and Accounting Department.
Procurement Manager Responsibilities:
- Develop procurement strategies that are inventive and cost-effective.
- Administer bidding process and contracts by preparing specifications, evaluating bids, and recommending vendors.
- Strategize and negotiate with vendors and suppliers in order to acquire the most cost-effective deals.
- Develop short and long-term purchasing plans by working with all academic units, and departments to identify the purchasing needs while considering the budgetary factors.
- Negotiate and re-negotiate contractual obligations with the vendors and suppliers to ensure compliance and on-going feasibility. Perform risk assessments on potential contracts and agreements.
- Develop cost comparisons and provide sourcing recommendations after negotiations.
- Work with vendors and supplies for sourcing and purchasing goods and services to ensure quality goods and services provided with the most cost effective and long-term solutions.
- Establish and maintain lasting relationships with new and existing vendors and suppliers to promote better purchasing methods and payment conditions.
- Develop and implement purchasing and contract management instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Initiate and manage purchase orders in Oracle software by completing all steps required to complete the procurement cycle.
- Maintain and update vendors’ information in the system.
- Responsible for the receipt and delivery of the procured goods and services according to the detailed specifications.
- Manage the procurement budget and promote a culture of long-term saving solutions on procurement costs.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, or quarterly reports for internal use.
- Respond to management questions and inquiries in a timely manner.
- Effectively communicate any potential issues to appropriate departments and senior leadership.
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and ensure compliance with internal controls and procedures related to all policies.
- Assist in the implementation and testing of new or revised systems, procedures, and record keeping.
- Complete additional projects or tasks as assigned by supervisor, including acting as backup for the inventory staff member and other personnel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and Educational Requirements
- 5+ years of experience in procurement is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, logistics, or business administration.
- Problem-solver with superior people and negotiation skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel) and database applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Arabic and English.
- Perform detailed tasks with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Highly organized and an effective communicator.
- Ability to be able to meet the physical demands of the position.
- Ability to collaborate with team members to ensure the objectives are met.
- Exercise judgment in communicating with supervisor, team members, students, and external constituents.
- Prioritize work objectives to meet deadlines and ensure completion of critical duties.
- Work as part of a team as well as independently to ensure departmental goals are achieved.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality, and ensure sensitive data is protected.
- Have strong interpersonal skills, collaborative work style, and ability to effectively manage shifting priorities. Flexible and open to frequently changing working environments.
- High ethical and moral integrity.
- Successful applicant will be required to sign Confidentiality Agreement upon hire.
- Successful applicant will be required to submit an official non-conviction certificate before starting date.
- Will be able to start in November or December.
Applications should include a cover letter addressing the requirements of the position, a curriculum vita, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please send your application and supporting documents to the following email address:[email protected].