AMIDEAST is a leading American non-profit organization engaged in international education, training and development activities in the Middle East and North Africa. Founded in 1951, AMIDEAST in its early years focused on promoting U.S. study to students in the MENA region and managing U.S. scholarships and exchanges such as the flagship Fulbright Foreign Student Program.
The Program Assistant is responsible for planning, executing, and reporting on assigned program activities and tasks in support of the portfolio of Scholarship, Exchange, English Language, Training and Testing programs implemented at AMIDEAST/Iraq. The portfolio is primarily comprised of degree-granting scholarship programs, short-term educational exchange programs, and English Language and Training programs funded by a variety of sponsors including national and international entities and US government agencies.
The Program Assistant, under the supervision of the Program and Operations Coordinator, will support the planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation for AMIDEAST Programs in Baghdad and South/Central Iraq. The implementation of activities will include initiating outreach and recruitment activities, making presentations to programs applicants, communicating with participants, nominees and grantees on key program information and updates. Program activities will be conducted both virtually and in face-to-face sessions requiring periodic travel within Iraq. The Program Assistant will also support program reporting and data collection in coordination with Program Staff based in Erbil.
- Maintains comprehensive understanding of all AMIDEAST programs including EL courses, testing, training, and scholarship programs.
- Responds to telephone & email inquiries and provide information about various programs.
- Develops resources for the various programs, prepares handouts and power point presentations and disseminates information for all exchange programs.
- Organizes and conducts outreach visits in Baghdad and other areas of Iraq, including visits to universities, local businesses and NGOs.
- Meets with applicants and visitors to the Baghdad office and answers inquiries about the exchange, English, training, and testing programs.
- Fields inquiries from prospective applicants, participants, and students by maintaining on-going communication.
- Conducts individual and group exchange program advising sessions and guides students through the scholarship and exchange program application processes.
- Coordinates with testing department and assists in the testing process for exchange program candidates.
- Assists in conducting post nomination orientations and pre-departure orientations.
- Coordinates English language and training program activities with program staff, including contacting participants, distributing material, and supporting with online learning access.
- Solicits participants’ feedback and suggestions on a regular basis and incorporate these into reports for staff and instructors.
- Maintains and update program databases for all participants and candidates.
- Oversees the registration and test administration process for Baghdad testing services (including GRE, SAT, TOEFL and TOEIC).
- Administers, supervises, or proctors tests (TOEFL, GRE, SAT, ITP and TOEIC) as required.
- Adheres to all required security precautions according to set rules & regulations to maintain test security and integrity.
- Collects of all used and un-used testing materials, preparation of all post test documentation and return shipment of all materials in a timely manner.
- Assists in the distribution of all test score reports / certificates to test takers.
- Translates articles, flyers, and letters, between Arabic and English.
- Contributes to report writing with specific data and information.
- Develops content for AMIDEAST Iraq’s website, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.
- Demonstrated ability to handle information in a confidential and ethical manner.
• A Bachelor’s degree in relevant field: education, humanities, human resource management, or business administration.
• A minimum of one-year experience in a U.S. academic environment or any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved
• An advanced level of written and spoken Arabic.
• A high level of proficiency in English, with a TOEIC score of 800.
• Education project and program experience, including working with workplans, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing.
• Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
• Good customer service and public relations skills.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities with frequent interruptions.
• Ability to communicate, interact and work effectively and cooperatively with all people including those from diverse ethnic and educational backgrounds.
• Collaborative, team oriented approach to work.
• Strong support for AMIDEAST’s mission.
• A Master’s degree in relevant field: education, humanities, HR, business administration, or other.
This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the incumbent will perform other reasonable business-related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other managers when necessary. AMIDEAST reserves the right to change duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.